Kernel

Re: Hackers print tiny Linux box to net up your home

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:58 pm

An article from RegHardware: http://www.reghardware.com/201.....ogramming/

The Raspberry Pi is a tiny computer designed to get you writing programs. Here's a tiny computer designed to get things done in your home and out of it without writing a single line of code.

Called the Ninja Block, it's an open source hardware gadget running Linux that's designed to accept feeds from external sensors - it has some on board too, including a thermometer and an accelerometer - and route the data to the web.

You use the web-hosted control system, called Ninja Cloud, to set up simple rules to trigger web services and devices connected to a Ninja Block, based on the incoming signals. It's largely done with drag and drop.

Inputs can come from the web too - Xbox Live sign ins, files arriving in your Dropbox, incoming Tweets, Facebook mentions - and even from Apple's Siri voice control tech.

Each Ninja Block has an Ethernet port for connectivity and a simple LED for feedback. Reference schematics for the hardware have been posted online under a Creative Commons licence. It's based on the Beagle Bone board.

Looks like a nice little piece of kit. Another article here: http://blogs.computerworlduk.c...../index.htm

zardoz99

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:39 am

Yes, but look at the price, and what you ACTUALLY get for that price...

Not available anyway until May 2012.

SN

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:53 pm

I've had a little look at the ninjablocks.com website and I think there is an opportunity to have these controlled/input-to to the raspi

More expense...
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

SN

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Got an email today inviting me to pre-order one of these little fellows at http://ninjablocks.com/buy/ 

155 aussie dollars (£100) for a ninjablock with no sensors

255 aussie dollars (£165) for ninjablock with 5 sensors

Not cheap these things!  Shame really.

The raspi is, to my mind, a superset of the basic ninjablock just missing a case - the economics are quite startling stacked in the raspi's favour methinks - if only the supply could meet the demand
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Rek

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:01 pm

Since it was confirmed that the GPIO pins have been put on the RasPi I would think sensors would be available to buy that will simply plug into the Pi.

12 + 6 = 10010

Return to “Off topic discussion”