Kernel

Re: PoC code uses super-critical Windows bug to crash PCs

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:49 pm

If you have RDP enabled and haven't patched - do it!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2...../rdp_worm/

Security watchers have discovered proof-of-concept code that attempts to exploit a high-risk Windows security hole, causing computers to crash.

The exploit attacks a RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) flaw patched by Microsoft on Tuesday. Redmond's security staffers warned at the time that the critical update (MS12-020) was of a type hackers were likely to latch onto, warning that exploits were likely to follow within 30 days.

The discovery of proof-of-concept code on a Chinese website less than 72 hours later came as no great surprise. Security firms warned that worse is likely to follow. The vulnerability might easily be exploited to create a worm that spreads automatically between vulnerable computers.

"The hackers worked quickly on this particular vulnerability and we've already seen attempts to exploit the flaw which exists in a part of Windows called the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos. "Affected Windows computers will 'blue screen', but I wouldn't be surprised if whoever is writing this code tries to develop the attack further to produce a fast spreading internet worm."

Joe Schmoe

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:49 pm

Wow.  I'm impressed.

As Linus says:  Whenever I hear about someone having written a program to crash Windows, I reply that there are plenty of them and they come for free with the OS.

(I don't have the wording right, but that's the jist of it)
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

gritz

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:02 pm

No point writing malware for an OS no-one uses.

That said (and quite seriously) this may change soon.

Thank you for the heads-up Kernel. I looked through the updates on patch Tuesday before installing 'em, but didn't take a lot of notice, obviously! Not that I'd touch remote desktop with a pointed stick.

Kernel

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

Wow.  I'm impressed.

As Linus says:  Whenever I hear about someone having written a program to crash Windows, I reply that there are plenty of them and they come for free with the OS.

(I don't have the wording right, but that's the jist of it)

LOL

gritz said:

No point writing malware for an OS no-one uses.

That said (and quite seriously) this may change soon.

Thank you for the heads-up Kernel. I looked through the updates on patch Tuesday before installing 'em, but didn't take a lot of notice, obviously! Not that I'd touch remote desktop with a pointed stick.

Well it isn't really needed in a home environment but for those of us who have remote servers in datacentres etc. we have to connect to them!

Chris.Rowland

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:25 pm

One of the things that really puts me off Linux is the way it's groupies spend so much time slagging off Windows.

If they spent a fraction of the time working on making Linux usable with a decent UI that didn't require vast number of arcane command lines they would have an OS that was dominant. Windows would not exist because there would be no need for it.

But what can you expect when you are forced to do the software development free of charge?

Kernel

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Chris Rowland said:

One of the things that really puts me off Linux is the way it's groupies spend so much time slagging off Windows.

If they spent a fraction of the time working on making Linux usable with a decent UI that didn't require vast number of arcane command lines they would have an OS that was dominant. Windows would not exist because there would be no need for it.

But what can you expect when you are forced to do the software development free of charge?

There are a number of decent GUI's such as Gnome, KDE

But yes sometimes you do have to resort to the command line especially if you want the latest version of software and your package manager doesn't have it so you need to compile yourself.

The Command Line can also be powerful - awk, sed, grep, bash scripts etc.

Not all development is free - there are commercial Linux OS's aswell such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux

and you are allowed to charge money for software but the GPL requires you to also make the source code available

Windows would still exist though as they provide a lot of support to businesses and it gives them someone to blame and hold accountable if something goes wrong

Prometheus

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:09 pm

Chris Rowland said:

I must admit, I haven't been required to use a command line in all the time I've been using Linux (four years, now)... (I do so by choice to install software, though, because I personally find writing a couple of words to be much quicker than click, click, search, click, wait, click, search, click, when I want to install more than one thing at a time. I know that it's not for everyone, though.)

Which distributions have given you this problem? I'm sure plenty of us would be glad to point you to those that don't require it!

Also: Thanks, Kernel, for the heads-up about this. I've passed the info on to all of the folks I know who use Microsoft Windows. It's much-appreciated, as I'd missed this one, and you know what they say, "Prevention is better than cure.".

Chris.Rowland

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Every single distribution I've tried has forced me into the terminal far too soon and often - Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Puppy.

It may be possible to use a pre-configured system without using a terminal but I don't think it's possible to set one up.  If you ask for help you get told about terminal commands for everything that's not trivial.

We are here to make the Raspberry Pi work - and work well. Using other systems to compare ideas and approaches seems fine but starting threads purely to bash another product doesn't seem right to me.

Prometheus

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:29 pm

Chris Rowland said:

Every single distribution I"ve tried has forced me into the terminal far too soon and often – Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Puppy.

It may be possible to use a pre-configured system without using a terminal but I don"t think it"s possible to set one up.  If you ask for help you get told about terminal commands for everything that"s not trivial.

I would actually have recommended those, so I"m afraid I can"t help much, I guess… My apologies for being unable to do so.

I"ve set several of them up and have never had to use a terminal by force (I don"t think my parents, who chose Kubuntu and then later chose to switch to Fedora when a new machine had some odd hardware that wouldn"t work with the former, would even know what one was – they"ve never had to use one, either, and they set up their own OSes when they chose to switch to Linux). In fact, that"s one of the reasons I like to use Linux – in my experience, it"s usually just set-and-forget, and sometimes a bit more so than Mac OS X. (Microsoft Windows, on the other hand, I always had enormous problems of various sorts with, which is why I stopped using it. This isn"t a bash, and I hope you don"t take it as one – it simply did not work for me, and I always found it very counterintuitive even during the times when I did use it.)

Funny how that goes, I guess… I"m just grateful that the options are available so that I was able to find an OS that I found suitable.

If I might explain why people often give terminal commands, though: It"s much easier to be certain of what a user is doing, this way, because you can say "Copy and paste this and hit enter.". Some folks do forget to explain what the commands do, though, which is a problem and something folks need to learn to avoid. I cannot stress this enough – there is nothing wrong with providing someone with terminal commands, but not telling them what they do is what makes it hard to understand, and it won't help them to learn where things have gone wrong, and what to do in the future.

Giving a few terminal commands is a lot easier and infinitely quicker than telling someone "Click this and that, wait. Then click such and such. Do you see the Holy Foo on this page of the dialogue window?" and so on and on and on and on and on (which is something I"ve regularly had to do to help the few folks I know who aren"t using Linux or Mac OS X), because their perceptions of what to click and what they should be doing may differ from what yours are, or from what they"re being told (and let"s not even get started on spending hours going through GUIs with folks who thought it was alright to skip certain parts and then not tell you! Haha… Good times…), and so on…

We are here to make the Raspberry Pi work – and work well. Using other systems to compare ideas and approaches seems fine but starting threads purely to bash another product doesn"t seem right to me.

I didn"t take this thread as a bash at all – it seems, from the parent-post, to be a heads-up about a critical problem with Microsoft Windows, and intended to warn users of it to patch it if they haven"t already…

Kernel

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:34 pm

Prometheus said:

I didn"t take this thread as a bash at all – it seems, from the parent-post, to be a heads-up about a critical problem with Microsoft Windows, and intended to warn users of it to patch it if they haven"t already…
Indeed it was - infact I use Windows at home and on my server and use RDP every day so this is important to me!!

dave j

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:37 pm

There's a follow-up to this story.

gritz

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:34 pm

dave j said:

There's a follow-up to this story.

Crikey, a proper whodunnit. Cheers for the link Dave.

Return to “Off topic discussion”