meltwater

Re: Ordered something else to fill the time

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:14 pm

Kernel said:

https://www.zdnet.com/photos/missed-out ... es/6351193

Missed out on Raspberry Pi? Here're five alternatives

Mentions Pandaboard, Cotton Candy,  BeagleBoard,  CuBox & Overo

All more expensive but also with better specs mostly i.e. more RAM

Bit of a flaw in their article, not all of them are available, so how is that an alternative?

Fed up of waiting for a RPi, you can wait for these too...?!?

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

BenJ

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:40 pm

I dug out my Neoware CA2, which has: 800 MHz VIA x86 CPU, S3 Graphics ProSavage, 100 Mbps LAN, 256MB RAM (Upgraded to 512MB), 256 MB IDE flash drive (Upgraded to a 30 GB laptop hard drive) USB 1.1 and a bunch of other standard PC connections.

I originally used it as a cheap, low power and silent computer to practice using a Linux without a GUI. After using some spare parts left over from upgrading my gaming PC, I threw together a more powerful box running Ubuntu Server and retired the little thin client.

BarryK

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:19 am

I have ordered one of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/m.....-sd-119913

US $100.70 including shipping. But, be warned, I have been waiting 10 days since ordering, it still hasn't shipped. Dealextreme, I have learned, has a reputation for extreme slowness. So, this is probably not something to get while waiting for your RP!

Some guys have been able install Ubuntu on the Mele A1000:

http://rhombus-tech.net/allwin.....ele_a1000/

It has Cortex A8 ARMv7 CPU, Mali 400 GPU.

I think that dealextreme don't keep much stock, so they have to get the item in from the manufacturer, which takes awhile. I have contacted them, suggesting that this is one item that they should have some stock of.

cnxsoft

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:15 am

meltwater said:

nmcc said:

meltwater said:

Personally I got a TI LaunchPad which is a little electronics dev board ($5), that has been great for getting back into the basics of electronics and wiring things to GPIO pins.

I was going to order one of these from Farnell but they are on back order with a notify me when they are in link instead.

Deja vu???

Order directly from TI included in the price worldwide shipping, got mine in a few days. Impressed!

Edit...

oops snap!

TI is great for the MCU kits. I ordered their wireless watch last year (http://www.ti.com/tool/ez430-chronos) for 50% discount (via tideals.com) and free shipping worldwide. I received mine within a few days in Thailand. It's now my main watch. Now they have a 50% discount on a complete Cortex A8 devkit, but it's 499 USD after discount.

Jessie

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:30 am

I built a NAS box out of a PogoPlug series 4 to kill some time.  Took it removed their garbage software and installed Arch Linux Arm on it.  I works great.  I've been kinda lazy in getting it all configured so I have to re-start all my scripts manually whenever I re-boot it, but I will get around to it some time.  Probibly one day after my wife gets mad that she can't watch or upload something because it reboot while I was out.

It works great so far.  Before I couldn't upload and watch a show at the same time it would cause network errors and jerky video.  After wiping it and installing Arch on it I had two uploads going to it and a video stream down and there were no issues.  Even with the three tasks going on at the same time the uploads were going at 10 MB /sec.

My next project will be to jailbreak an Apple TV v3.

I thought about trying a Pandaboard but at about $200 delivered to my door I just couldn't justify the cost.

ridge

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:17 am

The STM32 Discovery boards are fun to start reading reams of data sheets and try to come to terms with low level coding on the ARM architecture. For hardware coders used to one clock signal and limited instruction sets on 8-bit AVR"s, Z80"s, 8080"s and the like, the convoluted multiple clock tree of the ARM architecture alone is an eye opener. There is a tremendous amount of horsepower available in inexpensive embedded ARM chips these days. I quickly abandoned bare metal programming and am very happy to have the internals abstracted away by the highest level vendor supplied libraries I can find.

Edit: Those in Cambridge are probably partial to the mbed board with a core from the same family as the STM32. I like having my compiler on my machine, but free cross compiler toolchains for ARM are an exercise in themselves to get set up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.....controller

meltwater

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:01 pm

cnxsoft said:

meltwater said:

nmcc said:

meltwater said:

Personally I got a TI LaunchPad which is a little electronics dev board ($5), that has been great for getting back into the basics of electronics and wiring things to GPIO pins.

I was going to order one of these from Farnell but they are on back order with a notify me when they are in link instead.

Deja vu???

Order directly from TI included in the price worldwide shipping, got mine in a few days. Impressed!

Edit...

oops snap!

TI is great for the MCU kits. I ordered their wireless watch last year (http://www.ti.com/tool/ez430-chronos) for 50% discount (via tideals.com) and free shipping worldwide. I received mine within a few days in Thailand. It's now my main watch. Now they have a 50% discount on a complete Cortex A8 devkit, but it's 499 USD after discount

The chronos looks interesting, will have to have a closer look at it and see what you can do with it.

Jessie

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:34 pm

ridge said:

The STM32 Discovery boards are fun to start reading reams of data sheets and try to come to terms with low level coding on the ARM architecture. For hardware coders used to one clock signal and limited instruction sets on 8-bit AVR"s, Z80"s, 8080"s and the like, the convoluted multiple clock tree of the ARM architecture alone is an eye opener. There is a tremendous amount of horsepower available in inexpensive embedded ARM chips these days. I quickly abandoned bare metal programming and am very happy to have the internals abstracted away by the highest level vendor supplied libraries I can find.

Edit: Those in Cambridge are probably partial to the mbed board with a core from the same family as the STM32. I like having my compiler on my machine, but free cross compiler toolchains for ARM are an exercise in themselves to get set up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.....controller

I have an STM32 F4 discovery board I have messed with from time to time.  Yes in terms of raw CPU power they are light-years ahead of the AVR.  However, the ARM microcontroler comunity is lightyears behind the AVR.  ARM should be handing out free full featured IDEs for their microcontrolers.  There are some eval editions and limited feature ediditons out there that are piss-poor compared to AVR Studio 4 and 5.  The open source tool chain gets better every day so there maybe hope for the ARM based microcontrolers out there yet.

ridge

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Jessie said:

ARM should be handing out free full featured IDEs for their microcontrolers.  There are some eval editions and limited feature ediditons out there that are piss-poor compared to AVR Studio 4 and 5.  The open source tool chain gets better every day so there maybe hope for the ARM based microcontrolers out there yet.

Atmel got it right in giving students (and future engineers, component specifiers) decent free tools.

Future product design-in wins for the chip manufacturers starts early.

ARM Holdings license model among chip suppliers does fragment the toolchains for students and hobbyists.  The overall confusion about the best free open source editor, compiler, linker and libraries for ARM devices is part of the charm I suppose.

cnxsoft

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:42 am

BarryK said:

US $100.70 including shipping. But, be warned, I have been waiting 10 days since ordering, it still hasn't shipped. Dealextreme, I have learned, has a reputation for extreme slowness. So, this is probably not something to get while waiting for your RP!

I think that dealextreme don't keep much stock, so they have to get the item in from the manufacturer, which takes awhile. I have contacted them, suggesting that this is one item that they should have some stock of.

...and that's 100 USD with free shipping worldwide. I've just bought one as well, actually after dropping on your blog.

crundy

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:44 am

I bought an archos 7" android tablet on offer for £99. Having good fun hacking it up. I'm currently working on modifying the status bar to make it transparent because it was cutting off the first line on every page in the Kindle app.

brian_reiter

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:55 am

Looking at the DuinoMite boards, may have a go at hooking one up to the GameDuino.

Look quite interesting and plenty of I/O. More info here

Wooloomooloo

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:19 am

The likes of Pandaboard, Beagleboard / bone & co. are unfortunately way out of the budget I could ever possibly justify for... basically just fooling around with neat hardware - it's the reason I became interested in the Pi in the first place. In the mean time however it started to look less and less appealing for my specific interests, and the availability thing didn't help, so I've pretty much given up.

What I'm looking at right now instead is either the new Olimex variant (arguably not any more available as the Pi right now, but I have this sneaking suspicion it'll get Hw and Sw design wrapped up, manufactured and shipped before the next batch of Pi's arrives...), the Rhombus-tech card (which may yet take a while indeed), or if all else fails, a mini2440 board (that again is not really cheap, but already runs EMC2, which makes all the difference in the world for me).

meltwater

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:44 am

cnxsoft said:

BarryK said:

...and that's 100 USD with free shipping worldwide. I've just bought one as well, actually after dropping on your blog.

That looks quite interesting...can you tell me what the thing is that plugs in at the top of it? Is that a sata drive...since it looks like part of the pack.

rasbeer

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:56 am

It includes a 2.5" SATA caddy I think. With wifi that might make it a better always-on server than a pi.

But I'm not sure if anyone's successfully installed Ubuntu on it; it says:

Below steps are my test for boot A10 tvbox to Ubuntu desktop. But it only see the welcome screen, couldn't login. 

Perhaps someone here will manage to get it working

meltwater

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:29 pm

rasbeer said:

It includes a 2.5" SATA caddy I think. With wifi that might make it a better always-on server than a pi.

But I'm not sure if anyone's successfully installed Ubuntu on it; it says:

Below steps are my test for boot A10 tvbox to Ubuntu desktop. But it only see the welcome screen, couldn't login. 

Perhaps someone here will manage to get it working

Yeah looking a little closer, no connections inside it, so as you say, a plastic box for a drive.

I'm sure it'll get hacked soon, since that is a nice setup of peripherals there.  Just a touch too much money for my wants.

Been looking at that watch...so annoyed I didn't know about it when the offer was on ($25 rather than $50, would have been nice).  Will keep an eye out for it dropping again (in hope) since I don't normally have a watch but for that price that would be perfect (with enough geek in it to justify wearing).  Clap-three times and your music starts to play...

cnxsoft

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:00 pm

meltwater said:

Yeah looking a little closer, no connections inside it, so as you say, a plastic box for a drive.
I'm sure it'll get hacked soon, since that is a nice setup of peripherals there.  Just a touch too much money for my wants.

Been looking at that watch...so annoyed I didn't know about it when the offer was on ($25 rather than $50, would have been nice).  Will keep an eye out for it dropping again (in hope) since I don't normally have a watch but for that price that would be perfect (with enough geek in it to justify wearing).  Clap-three times and your music starts to play...

For the watch price to fall, I suppose you'll just need to wait for TI to make another discount.

The guy in china starts to ask people again if they want a Mele A1000 for 65 USD (+shipping) at http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipe.....02797.html

na1pir

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:49 am

Almost 10 months ago I bought i.mx53 quick start board, and I use it as really quiet always on desktop pc. Maybe I'll plug a sata hard drive to it, because I'll need SD card for Rpi:)

My Rpi will be more like multimedia / hacking device... I hope I will be able to interface it to small cortex m0 dev board. Together with NanoM0 I'll create some sort of IP TV STB with remote control, lcd and all... And imx53 qsb will serve as NAS...

pluggster

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:05 pm

I got meself a nerdkit from the usa.

took about a month to arrive in blighty.

you get all sorts of bits with it: atmel atmega chip, lcd screen, temp sensor, buzzer, usb programming lead, leds, push button, switches.

had a working traffic light system within an hour of opening the box.

Chris.Rowland

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm usuing QEMU with various Pi card images, mostly Debian.

This gives me the opportunity to learn a lot about Linux and in particular get used to the Linux way.

AlexPT

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:15 pm

I did find other dev board project: Allwinner A10

But still only on early stages...

All the rest out here cost at last 3 times the rPi

glenn66

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:37 pm

I got back to experimenting with PICs again after a lull of a few months as ultimately I want to use a Pi (when it finally arrives) as a graphics front end for a PIC-based automotive project.

In the meantime I've been interfacing a small resistive touch panel (from a scrap PDA) to a PIC 18F4620.  I'm not using an interface chip, but driving the X and Y circuits from a transistor board.

Hard core electronics in the classic fashion!

BarryK

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:46 am

cnxsoft said:

BarryK said:

For the record, mine finally shipped on the 22nd March (I ordered it on the 7th). I chose the free post option, which is with China Post, which I now regret, as I have now learned they are also extremely slow. Dealextreme can send by EMS, but costs a bit more. Anyway, it is on the way.

Regarding the post about the SATA hard drive case, yes that is just a case, you will have to put in your own 2.5 inch drive -- that is one of the features that attracted me to this unit -- the Allwinner A10 CPU chip has a SATA interface.

Regarding hacking it, there is a group of about 14 guys who have just purchased these and they are going to be doing a *lot* of hacking. There are about another half dozen guys that I know of who have ordered it.

So, I expect that even if Ubuntu is not working quite right on it yet, it should be soon (well, I certainly hope so!)

BarryK

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:52 am

BarryK said:

cnxsoft said:

BarryK said:

For the record, mine finally shipped on the 22nd March (I ordered it on the 7th). I chose the free post option, which is with China Post, which I now regret, as I have now learned they are also extremely slow. Dealextreme can send by EMS, but costs a bit more. Anyway, it is on the way.

Regarding the post about the SATA hard drive case, yes that is just a case, you will have to put in your own 2.5 inch drive -- that is one of the features that attracted me to this unit -- the Allwinner A10 CPU chip has a SATA interface.

Regarding hacking it, there is a group of about 14 guys who have just purchased these and they are going to be doing a *lot* of hacking. There are about another half dozen guys that I know of who have ordered it.

So, I expect that even if Ubuntu is not working quite right on it yet, it should be soon (well, I certainly hope so!)

Someone sent me a link to another vendor:

http://www.airaccent.com/mele-.....83055.html

...these people claim to have them in stock and will ship within 48 hours.

Return to “Off topic discussion”