pandapi

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

There were only ever 10,000 boards. Only a couple of months ago it was unclear whether they would all sell. In recent weeks people started taking interest in larger numbers but that does not necessarily convert into definite purchases. That's why people were getting up at 6:00am to put in their orders. The launch has been a success. That is the problem.

as far as popularity goes the launch has been a success. As far as a launch (where generally a product goes into the hands of consumers) then it hasn't, as yet nothing has actually launched!

I'm well aware of the relative sizes of both companies but imagine if the ipad 3 release had happened today and no-one had actually got one. Apple would have been inundated with complaints and vilified in the press. Luckily this hasn't happened with the foundation.

Nurbit

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Tass said:

Nurbit said:

I'll wait for my Pi and probably be relegated to the shed by the missus when she's had enough of hearing about it

You mean she hasn't already?!?!

No, currently she moans about how much time I spend in there and not in the house with her. That'll soon change

itsonlyme

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:36 pm

It's not like the original poster was demanding that the Foundation rent the LHC for a day to create a wormhole from Cambridge to China so that the boards could be delivered last week. All they wanted was communication. It's called customer care. Yes, there are real paying customers now. It's a horrible concept, but it has to be dealt with accordingly. Really.

Thank you Gritz and others

Due to other commitments I have not been able to respond earlier to all the replies to my original post but you sum up exactly what I was trying to say, but at the same time I also understand those who disagree with me.

To those who commented about the financial side. The money tied up is not a problem to me, but having been in the situation where money is very, very tight, I can appreciate that it will be to some who have ordered. Up to date information would very much help them planning their cash flow.

And myself, not quiet a member of the public. Very computer literate with Windows in its various incarnations, but absolutely no knowledge of Linux apart from what I have learned during the last few weeks whilst preparing for my Pi. So it is a whole new learning exercise for me. I wil enjoy that. Is education not the aim?

Tass

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Slightly OT, but regarding communication at least.  I just received another email from RS a few minutes ago, inviting me to update my details, asking that I do so before 20th March.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....rs/#p54815

robleady

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:57 pm

For those bemoaning the lack of communication, did anyone actually read the following press release from RS last week :

http://www.electrocomponents.c.....12/03/9th/

Regards,

Rob

grumpyoldgit

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:02 pm

As we well know, no-one ever reads the FAQ, wiki, the front page of this web site or press releases. If they did they clearly wouldn't ask the same questions or make the same comments over and over again.

gritz

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Tass said:

Slightly OT, but regarding communication at least.  I just received another email from RS a few minutes ago, inviting me to update my details, asking that I do so before 20th March.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....rs/#p54815

"Watson! The chase is afoot!"

@ itsonlyme: Hello mate! I'm in a similar position to you - albeit with a (very) little Linux experience. All my creative tools are Windows only, as is all the hardware. That's why I'm here - this is a good reason to learn Linux. I'm sure there are many people in a similar position watching these forums too. I spoke up for you (and them) because to be blunt there is a small but vocal minority in the open source community who seem to consider that any criticism of anything vaguely connected with open source is the height of ingratitude. This doesn't tend to happen so much in the Windows community (I guess we all feel entitled to a good moan!) so it can be a bit of an eye opener. It's a bit sad IMO and only perpetuates stereotypes on both sides.

Anyway, it looks like we can expect some news after all.

itsonlyme

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Gritz. Yes it looks like good news. I also have had a similar email in the last few minutes.

(No doubt in not too long some of us Windows people will be having a moan about something to do with Linux, and then sit back with red faces when in most cases we realise its all to do with our ignorance. Looking forward to the day when I am in a position to do that, but hopefully instead of moaning I'll ask the question!)

gritz

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:37 pm

robleady said:

For those bemoaning the lack of communication, did anyone actually read the following press release from RS last week :

http://www.electrocomponents.c.....12/03/9th/

Regards,

Rob

Press releases!=news.  There's a vague mention regarding end of March, but nothing else. Maybe the odd RS customer might have stumbled across it's existence but obviously none of them thought it newsworthy enough to tell the world.

gritz

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:40 pm

itsonlyme said:

Hi Gritz. Yes it looks like good news. I also have had a similar email in the last few minutes.

(No doubt in not too long some of us Windows people will be having a moan about something to do with Linux, and then sit back with red faces when in most cases we realise its all to do with our ignorance. Looking forward to the day when I am in a position to do that, but hopefully instead of moaning I'll ask the question!)

Yes - I'll have to learn to bite my lip too! Look forward to seeing you "in class".

Lynbarn

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:14 pm

In response to similar thread on the Element14 forum, Jack Lang said this afternoon:

Don't worry we haven't gone away.

We are pedalling hard, and will bring news as soon as we can.

Highest priority is ramping production, and that takes time and energy.

Work is going on documentation, tutorials, global approvals, other testing and software development

Besides we have to keep up with flood the emails and tweets - the firehose is still running at several a minute, as well as mundane things like accounants, VAT inspections (we passed), legals and issuing takedown notices to scammers and their ISP.

Jack

Raspberry Pi Foundation

I hope he doesn't mind me repeating it here.

Andre_P

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:23 pm

It's No Good, I CAN'T take it anymore. The whinging has finally got to me.

I am now going drop the ultimate weapon.

Weapon release in

Weapon AWAY

I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic!
you can brush my hair, undress me everywhere
Imagination, life is your creation
Come on Barbie, let's go party!

I'm a blond bimbo girl, in a fantasy world
Dress me up, make it tight, I'm your dolly
You're my doll, rock'n'roll, feel the glamour in pink,
kiss me here, touch me there, hanky panky...
You can touch, you can play, if you say: "I'm always yours"

(uu-oooh-u)

(Ah-ah-ah-yeah)
(uu-oooh-u)
(Ah-ah-ah-yeah)
(uu-oooh-u)

Make me walk, make me talk, do whatever you please
I can act like a star, I can beg on my knees
Come jump in, bimbo friend, let us do it again,
hit the town, fool around, let's go party

(Ah-ah-ah-yeah)
(uu-oooh-u)
(Ah-ah-ah-yeah)
(uu-oooh-u)

Now that you have that running around in your head maybe we can get back to the real world.

Lynbarn

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Andre_P said:

It's No Good, I CAN'T take it anymore. The whinging has finally got to me.

Now that you have that running around in your head maybe we can get back to the real world.

There there! Do you feel better now?

Andre_P

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Yes, I'm sorry for the collateral damage, normally the Aqua weapon is just set to the first few words. But I thought no I need to set FULL SONG mode. Maybe one day this could be defined as the EOF for any discussion, either the Aqua EOF or the Barbie EOF.

By the Way Heading to Dartford even as I type maybe do beer if you are so inclined assuming SWMBO will give me a pass

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:30 pm

pandapi said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

There were only ever 10,000 boards. Only a couple of months ago it was unclear whether they would all sell. In recent weeks people started taking interest in larger numbers but that does not necessarily convert into definite purchases. That's why people were getting up at 6:00am to put in their orders. The launch has been a success. That is the problem.

as far as popularity goes the launch has been a success. As far as a launch (where generally a product goes into the hands of consumers) then it hasn't, as yet nothing has actually launched!

I'm well aware of the relative sizes of both companies but imagine if the ipad 3 release had happened today and no-one had actually got one. Apple would have been inundated with complaints and vilified in the press. Luckily this hasn't happened with the foundation.

I would disagree with your concept of a launch. Many products are launched at shows, but don't go in to production until some time later.  Apple are different here, because they KNOW that they can manufacture a whole hatload of product up front and it WILL sell on the launch day, but they are one of the few companies who can do it. Most companies launch, get an idea of demand, then start manufacture.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:51 pm

.decided to withdraw comment.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Return to “Off topic discussion”