Kernel
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:39 am

Lynbarn said:

HMRC, The Treasury and Defra for calculating worldwide import and export tax rates for electronic items.
LOL but you forgot that considering the quality of some of ther staff at HMRC they wouldn't even know how to turn on a raspi nevermind use it!

alexeames said:


JamesH said:


Apropos of nothing, I filled up my car with petrol last night.


I tried that once. It stank for weeks. I always put it in the tank now. :p


Hahahaha

gritz
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:41 am

alexeames said:


JamesH said:


Apropos of nothing, I filled up my car with petrol last night.


I tried that once. It stank for weeks. I always put it in the tank now. :p

Like others, I got up and got registered by 0601, but guess what? I'm not getting one of batch 1 (data lost in RS server meltdown). Disappointing? Yes. But tough luck. Excrement happens!

All the whingers need to grow up and put this in perspective. Your moaning makes you look like a bunch of spoiled kids, who didn't get what they wanted for Christmas, looking to hurt mum and dad who did their best for you. I wonder what it'll be like once the "consumers" who bought them start to receive them? That could be a SHTF moment in the forums.

This is a massive success for the Raspberry Pi foundation. I'm delighted for them. Also delighted that it's spurred me to get back into programming. Thanks for that guys.


Oh dear. In before the lock.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26673
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 am

?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

gritz
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:30 am

"?" indeed!

Calling other customers "whingers" and "spoiled kids", who are "looking to hurt mum and dad who did their best…"

Not helpful and not great for the image of the community as a whole. There are a bunch of casual visitors to this site and it would be better if they didn't think it was just another one of those open-source-but-closed-shop love-ins that can't tolerate any kind of criticism and recoil in horror at the thought of their beloved product falling into the unwashed paws of the general public. Been there, seen that.

Edited for speeling again. Must get my glasses.

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:34 am

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, ..........

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26673
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:36 am

To be honest, I didn't think the post was as bad as you make out. Pretty sure casual readers would understand it for what is was - someone fed up with the constant barrage and putting their oar in. Happens a lot on the internet, or so I've heard! Also a lot of whiners on the internet - check this out...

http://www.mediaite.com/online.....mas-gifts/
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Lynbarn
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:03 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:49 am

As for whining and wingeing, it probably does help the whiner/winger feel better at the time, but it doesn't change what has already happened, it doesn't make those in a position to help more disposed to do so, and it doesn't make the delivery of their 'Pi to their door any more imminent.

In short, as  a pastime, it is an almost complete waste of time, effort and energy!

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:10 pm

And I can't see why these posts don't get moved to off topic. There is a lot of cr@p filling up General Discussion that really doesn't need to be there.

Nurbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:12 pm

I've got it into my head now that I'll still have to wait a couple of months.

If it arrives earlier, bonus!!

I know people are very excited about the Pi and can't wait to start playing but I really can't see the foundation sitting around the office all day thinking of ways to annoy it's (potential) customers by deliberatly holding the units back.

There has been a delay, it's unfortunate but it's done now.

Why don't we all go and have a nice cup of green tea and chill out while we await our Pi… calmly…

(pft…green tea…)

User avatar
meltwater
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:16 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:


And I can't see why these posts don't get moved to off topic. There is a lot of cr@p filling up General Discussion that really doesn't need to be there.


I did suggest a separate section, but since we are moving soon, shouldn't be a big issue.

We get news when they are able to tell us news, that is fine by me.
______________
http://www.themagpi.com/
A Magazine for Raspberry Pi Users
Read Online or Download for Free.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

gritz
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Lynbarn said:


As for whining and wingeing, it probably does help the whiner/winger feel better at the time, but it doesn't change what has already happened, it doesn't make those in a position to help more disposed to do so, and it doesn't make the delivery of their 'Pi to their door any more imminent.

In short, as  a pastime, it is an almost complete waste of time, effort and energy!



Sorry to labour a point and all that, but it's only a waste of time if someone at the sharp end does nothing to address the issue that caused the fuss in the first place.

It's not like the original poster was demanding that the Foundation rent the LHC for a day to create a wormhole from Cambridge to China so that the boards could be delivered last week. All they wanted was communication. It's called customer care. Yes, there are real paying customers now. It's a horrible concept, but it has to be dealt with accordingly. Really.

Lynbarn
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:03 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:00 pm

gritz said:


Lynbarn said:


As for whining and wingeing, it probably does help the whiner/winger feel better at the time, but it doesn't change what has already happened, it doesn't make those in a position to help more disposed to do so, and it doesn't make the delivery of their 'Pi to their door any more imminent.

In short, as  a pastime, it is an almost complete waste of time, effort and energy!



Sorry to labour a point and all that, but it's only a waste of time if someone at the sharp end does nothing to address the issue that caused the fuss in the first place.


Well those at the sharp end won't do anything - certainly not because of the whingers and whiners.

They will do (and are already doing) what they can to improve the situation as quickly as they can, because it is the right thing to do. They won't get there any quicker, however much anybody winges about it. Got it?

Nurbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:03 pm

I agree about the foundation having to update it's customers..... but it has.

They stated that there was a problem and that they would give further details when available.

There have obviously been no further changes and the foundation is not a profit driven company like microsoft is..... and MS tell people even less!!

I'm sure the foundation are just as eager to get the board to it's valued customers as we are to receive them.

gritz
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Lynbarn said:

This thread was getting somewhat off the point, so it is now in Off topic.

No it wasn't, it was getting right to the point!

Fair play for moving it though. With 40%ish of the General Discussion front page taken up with stickies, important stuff does slide into page 2 obscurity very quickly at busy times.

pandapi
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Nurbit said:


I agree about the foundation having to update it's customers..... but it has.

They stated that there was a problem and that they would give further details when available.

There have obviously been no further changes and the foundation is not a profit driven company like microsoft is..... and MS tell people even less!!


To be fair, microsoft don't generally "release" something on a particular day and then still have precisely zero in consumer's hands more than 2 weeks later.

I'm not trying to moan about the foundation and their work here, far from it. But i can see why people are a bit miffed. Its my belief that the release should probably have been put back til the end of march. They could have still taken pre-orders through RS and farnell from the 29th feb but the actual RELEASE date should have been put back.

As it is now the release has failed as far as i'm concerned.

Its not the foundations fault per-se but perhaps they should have waited til the devices were in hand and fully tested before releasing. I guess their openness in telling people what stage the 10k original Pis were at has led to a bit of dissatisfaction. Shame really as the intentions were brilliant.

Nurbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:26 pm


To be fair, microsoft don't generally "release" something on a particular day and then still have precisely zero in consumer"s hands more than 2 weeks later.


Yes, you are right and I'll refrain from banging on about how much they charge for crap software such as vista…. oh, I just did

I think I agree with you about the release. It perhaps should have been pushed back a bit, perhaps until there were physical units ready to sell.

Nevermind though. I'll wait for my Pi and probably be relegated to the shed by the missus when she's had enough of hearing about it




pandapi
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Nurbit said:



To be fair, microsoft don"t generally "release" something on a particular day and then still have precisely zero in consumer"s hands more than 2 weeks later.


Yes, you are right and I"ll refrain from banging on about how much they charge for crap software such as vista…. oh, I just did

I think I agree with you about the release. It perhaps should have been pushed back a bit, perhaps until there were physical units ready to sell.

Nevermind though. I"ll wait for my Pi and probably be relegated to the shed by the missus when she"s had enough of hearing about it





Like

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:34 pm

It should also be mentioned that the ravening hordes have been beating down the gates at Raspberry Pi towers for some months now insisting on having the ability to pre-order. RS are still getting it in the neck because they absolutely refuse to take orders until they have stocks of Pi.

pandapi
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:


It should also be mentioned that the ravening hordes have been beating down the gates at Raspberry Pi towers for some months now insisting on having the ability to pre-order. RS are still getting it in the neck because they absolutely refuse to take orders until they have stocks of Pi.


But, is that happening because there was a "release" date? If it had be touted as a "date for the start of pre-orders" with no concrete date given then they:

1 - _probably_ wouldn't have people expecting their Pi "NOW"

2 - _probably_ would have less initial demand giving them a chance to catch up sooner with production

I'm not sure whether the RPF have used the term "release" but they do have a "where to buy" on the front page and they did build it up with lots with things like "set your alarms" for what has actually turned out to be for nothing more than a place in a queue.

I'm not overly upset/angry about the situation. It is frustrating though. But, i can see why some people are a bit miffed.

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:47 pm

I hadn't realised that you didn't know about the jack issue. These are the details.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/781

pandapi
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:


I hadn't realised that you didn't know about the jack issue. These are the details.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/781


Me? I knew full well about it.

But if they had waited til the boards were in hand and fully tested before announcing a release date then it wouldn't have been such an issue.

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:55 pm

The jack issue has only affected the first 10,000. The remaining 200,000+ are largely not affected as the demand was in excess of twenty times what the RPF could provide. Someone getting an email to say they won't get their Pi until May or June would have been given the same dates anyway.

pandapi
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:


The jack issue has only affected the first 10,000. The remaining 200,000+ are largely not affected as the demand was in excess of twenty times what the RPF could provide. Someone getting an email to say they won't get their Pi until May or June would have been given the same dates anyway.


You totally aren't getting my point.

If i pre-ordered something and then get an email saying "you'll get it in june" i'd be like "ooh, a date!" because i wouldn't be expecting a date fullstop.

If i get a big build up for a release, get up early, order one online and then get "you'll get it in june" i'd be like "WTF?". Like a lot of people on here.

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:01 pm

There were only ever 10,000 boards. Only a couple of months ago it was unclear whether they would all sell. In recent weeks people started taking interest in larger numbers but that does not necessarily convert into definite purchases. That's why people were getting up at 6:00am to put in their orders. The launch has been a success. That is the problem.

User avatar
Tass
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:15 am

Re: Communication!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:02 pm

Nurbit said:

I'll wait for my Pi and probably be relegated to the shed by the missus when she's had enough of hearing about it

You mean she hasn't already?!?!

Return to “Off topic discussion”