abishur

Re: Science Fiction

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:36 pm

JustThisGuy said:

I apologize but... Alien is not so much scifi as a horror flick set in space. I mean these guys were just intergalactic truckers on a lonely stretch of road. I liked Alien, it gave me the heebeejeebees and Ripley is to die for, but scifi? Not so much. For scifi watch Dark Star, Dan O'Bannon's early comedy complete with space surfing and supercilious intelligent bombs.

I've always thought of it as a sci-fi/horror mix, kind of lick Pitch Black, when it's taken in the larger context of the Alien franchise er... I mean Alien universe.

4+7, it goes up to 11

Or down to 3 depending on how you read numbers
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

dognosh

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:29 pm

lol @justthisguy ,you call it intergalactic, you say it is set in space, and ridley scott called it a sci-fi horror,not counting everyone else who has seen it. If you mean not hard core then I agree, but it is sci-fi

JustThisGuy

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:33 pm

dognosh said:

lol @justthisguy ,you call it intergalactic, you say it is set in space, and ridley scott called it a sci-fi horror,not counting everyone else who has seen it. If you mean not hard core then I agree, but it is sci-fi

As I said: Alien is not so much scifi as a horror flick set in space.

So we seem to agree.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

SN

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:38 pm

I actually felt Aliens was a better film than Alien
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

dognosh

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:25 am

SN said:

I actually felt Aliens was a better film than Alien

To me Alien was a true horror flick, the atmosphere and suspense was phenomenal

And Aliens was a true Action movie, the whole movie was non-stop edge of the seat.

Alien got a 10 from me and Aliens a 9.8

RaTTuS

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 am

Aliens Special Edition makes more sense than Aliens

but Alien is excellent  - up there with Blade Runner SE
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

dognosh

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Agreed , "Blade Runner SE" fixed something that bugged us all for over 20 years, the stunt woman going through the plate glass looked nothing like the snake lady replicant, glad it was reshot  (amongst other things, and many hours of excellent extra material)

riffraff

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:07 am

Alien was on IFC night before last. Haven't watched it in 20 yrs. Good horror flick, but indeed, Aliens was much better. Better script, better acting, better cinematography and continuity and more memorable scenes and lines. Haven't seen it in several years, have only watched it in it's entirety once, and have only seen parts of it about six more times, but I remember just about every scene and bit of dialog.

Loved the original Alien vs. Predator FPS. Wish that could be ported to Pi. You could play as Alien, Predator, or Marine. Predator was easiest, Marine was more vulnerable but better armed, but ironically, Alien was the hardest. Alien has nothing but speed, stealth and cunning. Great game, way ahead of the tech curve at the time.

Return to “Off topic discussion”