MDC

Re: Is GAME dying

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:26 pm

I have read the news recently and found out that GAME (as well as Gamestation) is on the edge of administration.

Will anyone miss it?

How could / would you save it?

A part of me is sad that companies such as GAME, HMV and Waterstones are going out of business. But the other part of me thinks they can't survive in there current situations and remain competitive.

If they all became online retailers I would hate to see the unemployment list.

gritz

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:39 am

I remember a post-Christmas news feature mentioning that online shopping accounted for 11% of all retailsales in the UK. Given the rather barren state of many of our town centres I was genuinely surprised that it didn't account for more.

Regarding the Game thing - yeah - it's all rather ugly, but I wonder how much of this is due to the games industry not wanting to fail in the same spectacular way that the music retail business did. I think that games developers would eventually like to get consumers to "rent" their software via online access / subscription and whatnot, rather than buy physical product that may be liable to piracy, or the view that "it's just not worth it any more..." Large concerns like E.A. might also be wanting to steal a march on small backyard developers, who may otherwise grab a foothold via some future online portal.

Pure conjecture on my part, of course!

tzj

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:06 am

In ~5 years town centers will be an Argos, or at least the same system would be used.
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

SN

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 am

tzj said:

In ~5 years town centers will be an Argos, or at least the same system would be used.

Let me correct that for you, not Argos... TESCO - they will flatten ANY business anywhere for a buck - not a nice company any more
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

scep

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:17 am

I'm infinitely sadder every time an independent closes (be it gaming, music, books, fishmongers etc). And GAME are directly responsible for the closure of many independent games shops on the High Street.

It's not like they were some amazing innovators, crammed to the rafters with cool stuff, Japanese imports and other esoterica. They were the gaming equivalent of the Dixons group – overpriced and cynical – and if they could have taken over the world, like Tesco, by squashing everyone else then they would have done it (viz. their buyout of their biggest competitor, Gamestation, five years ago). So no – I shed no tears.

Kernel

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:02 am

There are various reasons for it:

a) Recession - so people have less money to spend on games

b) Facebook etc. people while away their hours on things like Angry Birds instead

c) A lot of games are quite complex and time-consuming - the market for casual gamers is limited

d) Discounting of games by companies like Tesco make it more attractive to buy from there (or from internet retailers)

e) new consoles are planned by MS, Sony, Nintendo - game sales tend to decline before new consoles come out as people prefer to buy the newer one

f) everyone will be playing games on their raspi's

Return to “Off topic discussion”