campsec

Re: Plans for Pi Day?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Pi day is coming up, we really have something special to celebrate this year.  Just wondering how everyone is planning on celebrating?  I would love to take the entire Raspberry Pi Foundation down to the local pub for a Pint myself, unfortunately I'm on the other side of the pond.  Anyway I do plan to raise a glass in their honor for all the great work they have done and the bright future they are helping to create for all our future computer scientists of the world.  I can't wait to get the Raspberry Pi out to a bunch of my students as soon as I can get them in quantity.

Cheers from Boston!

grumpyoldgit

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:52 pm

You could at least eat a Pie.

johnbeetem

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm going to celebrate on European Pi day, 22 July.  22/7 is a better approximation than 3.14

grumpyoldgit

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:41 am

Does anyone have a Pi to play with on Pi Day?

meltwater

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:59 am

Oh it is real!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_Day

Of course don't forget Pi Approximation day!?!?

Pi Approximation Day is held on July 22 (or 22/7 in day/month date format), since the fraction22?7 is a common approximation of ?.

Seriously, I bet a government took 3 months and a team of 30 to come up with it too.

Will have to make do with a pastry kinda pie this year.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

grumpyoldgit

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:11 am

I had to laugh at this, taken from the web site of the maths department of an American university. Maths clearly not their strong point!

Europeans cannot have a Pi Day whose date is derived from the initial digits of pi. In Europe, dates are written with the format day/month, which is the opposite of the format used in the United States. Since there's no 14th month and April does not have 31 days, we can't create a sensible European date from the first three digits of pi. However, Europeans can celebrate Pi Approximation Day: June 22. In day/month format, this date is 22 June, corresponding to the fraction 22/7, which is a common rational approximation for pi.

http://www.sbu.edu/artsandscie.....;utm=piday

grumpyoldgit

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:10 am

Not only is it Pi day today but also No Smoking Day.

Ravenous

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 am

22 June is 22/7?  This from a University?  Oops...

meltwater

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:08 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

Not only is it Pi day today but also No Smoking Day.

I hope my Pi doesn't smoke!

I guess Pi day is like Groundhog day (the film) because the forum resembles that too much at times....

More RAM please, where to buy, why pi, cheap screen, hdmi to vga, power supply, farnell/rs this and that....RPi drinking game anyone?

grumpyoldgit

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:22 am

Will it run Windows?

I registered five minutes ago; Why can't I have a Pi tomorrow?

I live at the South Pole. Why is my Pi going to cost more than someone living in UK?

Why can't I buy 10 for all my friends?

I think your website is crap. Why don't you port it to (name of obscure software no-one has heard of) ?

I think you are all a bunch of tossers. Why do you keep banning me?

I have just started a GCSE course in ITC and in my opinion, I think your design for the Pi is rubbish. Why don't you ...........

meltwater

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:35 am

This could get messy fast!

Pi Day bingo boards?

Now if only I had a RPi, would make a nice little Python game to write.

Now perhaps it would be wrong to suggest a game... 1st person to post on such a thread gets a point (two if it is directly answered in the FAQ). i.e.

Answer is in the wiki/FAQ, please search one of the many threads on this.

[+2 score=25]

Ok, perhaps I'm getting carried away now.

grumpyoldgit

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:53 pm

I forgot.

Why can't you get the Pi made by Maplin/Amazon/My mate Dave?

Why can't we buy the Pi individually from China by Ebay?

Why are you taking so long to get the Pi out? Any idiot with an O Level in basket weaving can design a computer on the back of a fag packet in half an hour and make 500,000 of them in the shed at the bottom of the garden by lunch time.

SeanD

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:51 pm

This post could get very messy fast but it really has made me smile on a morning when I hat to be at myt desk by 7am.

I must admit I have been trying to work out an algorithm that would let me code an "Original Topics" filter that I could replace the "New/Recently Updated Topics" one with as seeing the same old questions asked time after time is becoming so tedious, and you miss the absolutely brilliant ones that are hidden away..

meltwater

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:45 pm

SeanD said:

This post could get very messy fast but it really has made me smile on a morning when I hat to be at myt desk by 7am.

I must admit I have been trying to work out an algorithm that would let me code an "Original Topics" filter that I could replace the "New/Recently Updated Topics" one with as seeing the same old questions asked time after time is becoming so tedious, and you miss the absolutely brilliant ones that are hidden away..

Xda has something like that, it picks up the keywords out of the title and suggests similar threads...of course people just ignore them anyway...but the concept is there (they have similar issues and some odd polices to deal with them in some cases), at the end of the day it is the nature of the beast.

Typically the best solution is to structure things logically and IMHO allow topic posters to provide good structure at the start of the thread - i.e. How to install, FAQ, Tips, Tools, Solutions to problems etc.  Otherwise, it is down to the last post in the thread which people read, the same thing gets posted which was answered a page before and you end up in circles.

Anyway, change is coming so will see what it brings.

Return to “Off topic discussion”