Ben Nevis

Re: Farnell - Rip Off Britain is alive and well!!!!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 am

I opted for Farnell as I have had previous bad experience with RS.

I got the option to buy at £24.95 + VAT +Delivery +card charge =near enough £50.

Not bad for a £22 device.  Needles to say I won't be going along this route - and I suspect neither will be lots of families that thought the initial cost was just about affordable.

Congrats to the foundation - they certaily chose their partners well.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:27 am

Are you sure you haven't tried to buy two by mistake?

I ordered one on Saturday from Farnell (as a back-order) and the sum stated (free UK delivery plus a free T-shirt) was £29.46

Do you live somewhere where delivery charges are abnormally high?
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

drgeoff

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:34 am

You don't say where delivery is to but FWIW my order on the UK site for delivery to a UK mainland address is priced at £24.55 plus free delivery plus £4.91 VAT making a total of £29.46.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:38 am

Ben Nevis said:

I got the option to buy at £24.95 + VAT +Delivery +card charge =near enough £50.

Not bad for a £22 device.  Needles to say I won't be going along this route - and I suspect neither will be lots of families that thought the initial cost was just about affordable.

Thanks for you vote of confidence. Perhaps instead of posting here, emailing/phoning Farnell who you tried to buy the device off and asking them why its appears to be priced higher than everyone else who bought one would have been a better use of your time? Rather than coming here and slagging off the Foundation who are doing their best to sort all these issues out on your behalf?

It's a $35 device BTW, you also need to take in to account the exchange rate on the day of purchase.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Smartybones

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:22 pm

just  to add to this "debate"...

the price for the Pi is very reasonable and Raspberry have done a very good job at getting the partners to keep the price as close to the $35 mark as possible.

The OP appears to be hacked off at the price hike when it comes to the additional items that he bought to compliment the RPI, and that it the point of my post.

RS & Farnell were chosen as manufacturing and distribution partners for a reason, and that was the weight they have behind them when it comes to sourcing the components and getting the boards manufactured. I am almost certain that they can both do this and produce a board cheaper than Raspberry can do so, which is where their profit will come from.

The other components that the OP bought were ready made and assembled components, and therefore the profit they are going to make is going to be an added % to the price they aquired it for. Also, consider that the main customers for both RS and Farnell are businesses, the likes of memory cards and phone charges are only cheap to by if you buy them in bulk. Single Items from business suppliers are always expensive.

Now to the point.

Instead of bitching of a forum run by the designer of ONE of the products you bought, complain to Farnell. Or the better option would have been to research the rest of the products you need and find alternative suppliers for them at a price where you are happy. If the price is not a problem and getting everything you need all in the same package then that's your choice. If price is an issue, then go and price compare different suppliers... ebay would have been a reasonable start point.

Every time I start a new project, I work out a list of equipment and materials I will need and then research the best way of acquiring said items. Because of P&P, sometimes it works out cheaper to buy from all the same suppliers, even though the item may be cheaper elsewhere. But by careful sourcing, on large projects you can save several hundred pounds. but even on small projects like the RPi, based on your parts list, you could easy have saved £10 by shopping around.

adlambert

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:56 pm

Ben Nevis said:

Must be an error there. Delivery is free if you choose the right option and there is no card charge.

Tass

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:56 pm

@Smartybones: I don't think the OP bought anything else?  I presume he means CC handling charge by "card charge"?

Ben Nevis said:

@Ben Nevis: JamesH is right - you need to take this up with Farnell.

My purchase was broken down as follows (I purchased using a Credit Card - no charges):

Goods Subtotal:

£26.55

Basic Shipping:
£0.00

VAT:

£5.31

Total:

£31.86

Smartybones

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:04 pm

i assumed he meant Card = SD Card, and Charge, Charger (PSU)...

I did not see anyone else mention a CC charge when buying. I certainly wasn't. and even if it was, I have never seen a CC charge so high in my life. I can only assume the OP has a postal address outside of the uk, It wouldn't even amount to the money he is talking about to deliver up to the highlands & islands of Scotland or the Scilly Islands.

Toby Stokes

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:12 pm

I also paid a smidgen under £30 including delivery. Which is very reasonable. What card were you using?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:33 pm

There's obviously been some mistake here - nobody else is paying £50 in the UK, so I suspect an error between chair and keyboard. What exactly did you order? Where are you ordering from?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “Off topic discussion”