david_fraser75

Re: Idea For RaspberryPi case

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:27 am

I am gonna try to mount the RasPi inside a BBC Micro case!

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:23 am

But to do that, you would have to take out the BBC Micro, and that would be sacrilege.

Can't you get your hands on an Acorn Electron?

monkeyra

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:37 am

I'm thinking of using an old computer as well, re-use the keyboard if possible... not sure how feasible that would be though? I was thinking of a zx81, or spectrum 128k +2. I suspect the keyboard is all propitiatory though?
Want a FREE 4GB SD Card?

Click here for details:
http://www.rpiforum.net/forum/topic/56-raspberry-pi-tutorials-guides-how-tos-free-4gb-sd-card-for-all-submissions/

XAPBob

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:48 am

There might well be room inside the BBC without stripping out the BBC.

You just might need to rewire the keyboard to a USB KB controller so you type on both at once

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:19 am

The keyboard will be proprietary and also the wiring will not be the same as a "USB keyboard controller" (supposing you can find one) expects. Expect to have to break all the tracks and rewire it by hand.

david_fraser75

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:46 pm

we have many spare BBC micros where I work, and some cool keyboard encoders.

I am thinking, bring all the I/O lines out to the back of the case.

Plenty of space for wiring stuff up.

Reider

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:13 pm

I`m loosely thinking along the lines of a USB Touch monitor that"s compatible with Linux.  A virtual keyboard and use the USB Touch monitor as a trackpad.  The case itself can be made from any plastic case and I have a Dremel type tool to make the cutouts.  A trip to Maplins and/or B&Q may source a case.

I`ve already put Debian on an SD card though that will change to Fedora later.   Another thing I may add to my case is an LCD screen from CrystalFontz in the US.  As I used to  work on them first as a beta tester and then I started playing with the programming and started to do that too.  I know how to program the screens for email, static or moving messages, weather from the net, the 4 buttons on the LCD panel itself etc…  I have 3 or 4 test LCD panels CrystalFontz sent me so lots of choices among them.  I can reprogram the screens and buttons in notepad so that"s no problem.  I`m sure their are Linux drivers too. Looks like we`re all making plans.

Steve

monkeyra

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Sounds like you've a lot of knowledge on that subject. Look forward to reading on how you get on
Want a FREE 4GB SD Card?

Click here for details:
http://www.rpiforum.net/forum/topic/56-raspberry-pi-tutorials-guides-how-tos-free-4gb-sd-card-for-all-submissions/

Smartybones

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:19 am

i have a broken bbc b, i plan on putting a RPi in it and run an emulator.

a quick search of  the web will turn up a nice little circuit diagram and code to interface the bbc b keyboard to usb...

the keyboard controller is on the right, the board in the middle is a games controller adaptor. it will connect virtually ang game controller to usb...

http://denki.world3.net/beebkb.html

Return to “Off topic discussion”