walney

Re: You Are Banned. ?!!?... Not really

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:39 am

Shock horror, I try and get on the website last night only to find that I am banned. What have I done?...

I just typed raspberrypi.org instead of http://www.raspberrypi.org

Now, I consider myself a bit of a pedant, but even I think that's a bit extreme...

(I noticed that there was a tweet about it, but it's obviously a bit more widespread thn you may have thought.)

barnaby

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:51 am

Generally it is good practise to only use one of the two, and redirect the other to the preferred one — helps with consistency and such things.

Cheers,
Barnaby

IDE

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:12 pm

walney said:

Error establishing a database connection

You're not the only one, I just attempted to load the main webpage from 3 different Internet uplink here, all banned. It sounds like some denial of service? Umm.

Chromatix

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Seems as though a few small tweaks to the webserver configuration would go a long way.

1) Redirect raspberrypi.org to http://www.raspberrypi.org.

2) Reduce MaxClients to match the database server's capacity.  This should eliminate all those error messages and subsequent reloads.  Excess clients will just wait a short time in the "listen() backlog queue" before being served.

Any more?
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Stew

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:44 pm

I had the same message when I just tried to log on, just a white screen with "You are banned" at the top... Lol, I was like, whaaaaa.... But when I googled Raspberry pi and clicked on the link I got on fine. It startled me! Lol

pauldow

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:13 am

Everyone who took part in breaking the internet Wednesday morning got banned. The poor internet must have really hurt after that. I wouldn't be surprised if the internet never spoke to us again with all our refreshes and F5s. The problem we have is the internet never forgets either.

Even the Math Required! is getting back at me.

|2(?{2[log4(16)]} - {[log3(27)]3})| + 2 = 16

monkeyra

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:45 am

I'm still getting the database connection error this morning, I assume everyone else is?
Want a FREE 4GB SD Card?

Click here for details:
http://www.rpiforum.net/forum/topic/56-raspberry-pi-tutorials-guides-how-tos-free-4gb-sd-card-for-all-submissions/

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:31 am

Yes, the database errors are still going on - we're still experiencing very high traffic. The good news is that we now have the prospect of some actual money, so we're getting another database server this week. Soon the errors will be a thing of the past.

Sorry about the ban thing - it's the message people who are actually banned see, but some DNS whoopsie happened so it was served to anyone who didn't prepend a www. We've fixed it now, but you may have to clear your caches.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

monkeyra

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Brill, thanks for letting us know
Want a FREE 4GB SD Card?

Click here for details:
http://www.rpiforum.net/forum/topic/56-raspberry-pi-tutorials-guides-how-tos-free-4gb-sd-card-for-all-submissions/

Return to “Off topic discussion”