abishur

Re: A good read

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:36 pm

Yeah I wrote a comment on that one explain each point that "tech reporter" got wrong.  Honestly, this is what happens when you let a person with an English major be a technology reporter.  We'll see if they let my post go through
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:49 pm

(S)he seems to be a couple of tinnies short of a case – perhaps thats why the reporting was so inept.

Edit: OMG - I didn't see the by-line....
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Bad Wolf

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Technology switched on

Technology Reporter switched OFF!
Guess that's what happens when you give anything technical to a Sheila
To a person with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

gritz

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:23 pm

Bad Wolf said:

Database Error
Error establishing a database connection

Oh, for goodness' sake, bloody forum!

Anyway, props to Bad Wolf for his un-pc post, but tech reporting in general = makes one weep, innit.

Tech reporting 101:

1) get sixteen year-old intern to come up with a suitably attention-grabbing headline. Usually something along the lines of "ZOMG!!!! Chuck all last year's kit into a skip, because this is a gamechanger..."

2) Trawl the internet to see what everyone else has written and repeat verbatim without checking sources, because it's so much cooler than downloading the relevant press pack.

3) Collect money in exchange for old rope.

At least the Pi is technology. Most techie press dedicates itself exclusively to Google, Facebook and reviewing the latest USB mini vacuum cleaners. Epic tech fail, as the young'uns might say.

abishur

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:41 pm

gritz said:

Bad Wolf said:

Database Error

Actually that has nothing to do with the software being used to run the forum.  The issue is how much traffic the site is getting in general

Lynbarn

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Abishur said:

gritz said:

Bad Wolf said:

Database Error

Actually that has nothing to do with the software being used to run the forum.  The issue is how much traffic the site is getting in general

Once the dust settles, perhaps the RPF might be in a position to publish some of the webstats on site traffic over the past couple of weeks? It might help put this into perspective.

Bad Wolf

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:01 pm

Abishur said:

gritz said:

Bad Wolf said:

Database Error

I didn’t , Honest it wasn’t me!

Cross my paws and hope to hide.

I know bad dog no bone
To a person with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

dawilson123

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Jongoleur said:

(S)he seems to be a couple of tinnies short of a case – perhaps thats why the reporting was so inept.

Edit: OMG – I didn't see the by-line….

I did exactly the same thing this morning. I wonder if my comments will be published. If you're going to write an article at least get the obvious facts right.

Jongoleur

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:50 pm

dawilson123 said:

Jongoleur said:

Edit: OMG – I didn"t see the by-line….

I did exactly the same thing this morning. I wonder if my comments will be published. If you"re going to write an article at least get the obvious facts right.

You had a snark at them too?

*snigger*

Perhaps they won't be publishing any comments for that one.......

dawilson123

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:44 pm

Jongoleur said:

dawilson123 said:

Jongoleur said:

Edit: OMG – I didn"t see the by-line….

I did exactly the same thing this morning. I wonder if my comments will be published. If you"re going to write an article at least get the obvious facts right.

You had a snark at them too?

*snigger*

Perhaps they won't be publishing any comments for that one…….

Yep, I did.

I don't have a copy of the comments I made but it went something like this:

You've made a number of erroreneous statements in your news article, which I list as follows:

1. RPF is a UK based charity and nothing to do with the US.

2. Have you ever seen the inside of a computer before? They are not pretty. The R-Pi is sold without a case so what you are getting is a PCB with components soldered to it, not that dissimilar to this ***I then gave a link to a photo of a computer set up on a desk based on the EVGA Classified SR-2 motherboard. The photo showed about £1.5K at least worth of components, minus the PSU, drives, etc. and then made the comment; it looks pretty doesn't it? (Add sarcasm here) ***

3. The article stated that the R-Pi comes with some peripherals, like wireless mouse and keyboard, which it clearly isn''t supplied with.

4. I stated that Linux is an O/S system and nothing to do with the processor.

5. It wasn't the R-Pi website which crashed, but their suppliers / distributors, Farnell and RS.

Re-reading the article, there are a couple of other points (at least) that I didn't pick up on the first time around:

6. R-Pi didn't release the $25 (Model A) version at the same time as the Model B. The Model A hasn't been released yet.

7. Both Models, to start with, will be released without a case.

I hope they publish my comments, but I''m doubtful.

dawilson123

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:51 pm

How comes I'm getting double or triple apostrophes to the words in my posts? Weird.

Andre_P

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:50 am

Hang on, have you guys looked at who owns/runs the news.au.com site ?

NEWS.com.au

Published by News Digital Media, a News Corporation company

Chromatix

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:14 pm

dawilson123 said:

How comes I'm getting double or triple apostrophes to the words in my posts? Weird.

This seems to happen when you edit your post, probably due to broken "smart quotes" handling.  During editing, you might notice that existing quotes appear strangely - if you replace them with normal characters at this point, they should post normally again.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Jongoleur

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Andre_P said:

Hang on, have you guys looked at who owns/runs the news.au.com site ?

NEWS.com.au

Published by News Digital Media, a News Corporation company

No I hadn't but it doesn't surprise me.

NEWS.com.au

The Sun of the digital domain.

(Won't give a link, don't want to encourage the buggers)

Andre_P

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:34 pm

I've had another look at some of the 'Technology' stories.

"Nasa loses code for Space Station" (sic).

Yes a Laptop was lost that had the algorithm that shows how the ISS is controlled. NOT the actual capability to enable the thrusters on the ISS.

My laptop has the AES algorithm in a document, god it must mean that if this laptop gets stolen it must mean that everything is WIDE OPEN.

My computer also has the algorithm behind the planets moving, I can see the headline now.

"UNIVERSE LOSES CONTROL CODES TO JUPITER!"

I do wonder if Rudyard Kipling would recognise the state of Journalism today.

dawilson123

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Chromatix said:

dawilson123 said:

This seems to happen when you edit your post, probably due to broken "smart quotes" handling.  During editing, you might notice that existing quotes appear strangely - if you replace them with normal characters at this point, they should post normally again.

Ah, thanks.

killer1390

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:21 pm

My favourite part in the article: Comes with a Linux processor.

LOL, what a good read indeed.

Prometheus

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:23 am

Good lord, that article was appalling. It was like the distilled version of all of the other articles with inaccuracies that have popped up this week!

A damn shame that it will no doubt spawn plenty of misogyny, too, even though the same wouldn't happen if a man wrote the piece.

Skygod

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:59 am

I also had a snipe at that one, but there were no comments that ever got allowed. They've obviously reacted to it though as the page has now been taken down.

Claire will be looking to get out of Tech Reporting I'm guessing. There are blogs and articles dedicated to rubbishing that article.

SeanD

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:04 am

Looks like in keeping with high journalistic standards they have deleted the article.

abishur

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:05 am

Here's a link to the new article Most interesting to me is that not only did they spit out a handful of facts in no particular order (but did not address the totality of their mistakes) but they also disabled comments on the new article!

Jongoleur

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:16 am

Abishur said:

Here's a link to the new article Most interesting to me is that not only did they spit out a handful of facts in no particular order (but did not address the totality of their mistakes) but they also disabled comments on the new article!

What a wonderful piece of bad grace,  "we've been caught out and we've got to do something but we don't like having to do this, and we all got upset by the comments and corrections too".  Oh well, print this off too.... Hehehehehe

@Prometheus:   When I first saw the article, I didn't notice the byline/photo and I immediately assumed a man (though I don't know if that is bad or good either!). Bad reporting is bad reporting, no matter which gender perpetrates it and that particular report had all the hallmarks of a rushed job by someone who had no real skill in comprehension or summarisation and would rather be doing something else.

Hey ho!

piglet

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:10 am

I thought it was an attempt at humour. Wasn't it? If not, then it was unintentionally funny.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:33 am

If you like her, you'll love Judy Patch.

Return to “Off topic discussion”