n3tw0rk5

Re: Farnell price fluctuations

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:50 am

I got a order confirmation email mail saying the unit cost was £24.55 + vat, total £29.46 with free delivery (sure that was the price stated on the site as well)

Just checked my order and it seems it has jumped up a bit, havent checked if payment has been taken yet, not fussed about paying a bit extra as long as it's going to the foundation.

Goods Subtotal:

£26.55

Basic Shipping:
£0.00 

VAT:

£5.31

Total:

£31.86

tufty

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:50 pm

It won"t go to the foundation, it will go to farnell.

They advertised and confirmed the sale at a given price, they have to meet that price. Shout loud and long, and mention the sale of goods act.

Simon.

Goobley

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Well try looking at their French pricing, advertised at €44.82, when one follows the link they seem obliged to add another 12.08€ in delivery even though that was supposed to be included in the previously quoted price (which is already high enough over 35$)

Bloody ridiculous, ain't it?

Goobley

aperry

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:08 pm

I don't know for sure, but I believe the price increase that you are seeing is solely due to the final shipping cost.  It looks like they're still being advertised at Farnell at 24.55, and I think I remember somewhere in the checkout process that shipping costs would be calculated and added later.  I don't think it's advertised as "free shipping", but I could be wrong.

FWIW, mine was also raised to 26.55.  I live in Boston.  Hope this helps.

Aaron

puckman

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:09 pm

As with everything in life there are always pros and cons. These distributors are not foundations, they are businesses and without making money there is no reason for them to get involved.

The foundation still gets whatever they would have had if they sold directly themselves without all of the hassle. Now they can sit back, collect the money and start working on the next generation of PI devices. I cant wait!

jojopi

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:30 pm

n3tw0rk5 said:

Just checked my order and it seems it has jumped up a bit,
I think the emails are more up to date than the order status on the site, both in price and estimated shipping date.

The original pricing was GBP26.55 for 1, with discounts for increasing quantities.  Later they changed to a flat price of GBP24.55 each.

I believe the price does include shipping, at least to the UK.  It is worth noting that cpc.farnell.com, who charge shipping separately, are advertising a base price of GBP21.60.  That is actually slightly less than USD35 at current exchange rates.

n3tw0rk5

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:36 pm

It's free shipping in the UK hence - Basic Shipping: £0.00

I'm not complaining about the price it's still a right bargain for me personally, it's the fact that they could be moving the price goalposts without my consent or the foundations knowledge.

What happens when if you like me your going to buy multiples when available to donate to local schools.

This order for only one RasPi has increased by £2.40 in a day or two, now if i multiply that by say 50 you might see why I would end up a tad miffed by the time the money is taken.

I've seen in a post somewhere that the foundation will get all the info on whats going where pricewise with Farnell & RS, etc, so hopefully that will shed some light on this.

n3tw0rk5

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:39 pm

jojopi said:

I think the emails are more up to date than the order status on the site, both in price and estimated shipping date.

The original pricing was GBP26.55 for 1, with discounts for increasing quantities.  Later they changed to a flat price of GBP24.55 each.

Thats cool if thats the case, but the price actually increased in the past 2 days on my order page.

ne7runner

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:49 pm

n3tw0rk5 said:

jojopi said:

Thats cool if thats the case, but the price actually increased in the past 2 days on my order page.

That's what I'm afraid of, as Farnell states on the pre-order page: "Your credit card will not be charged until your order is dispatched."

So how do I know how much are they really going to charge me?

stan4th

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi,

Farnell are charging me £39.46 (free delivery) incl VAT (non-business price)

Does anyone know what the RS final price is please?

stan4th

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:08 pm

... sorry that should have read £29.46!!

Tass

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:21 pm

My initial order (7AM on the 29th) had a total of £31.86, but if I try order again (I'm not actually trying to order another one - was finding the link to post ), it gives me a total of £29.46, so for me the price had dropped in the last few days!

mc349

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:54 pm

I too (pre)ordered  from Farnell on the 29th and unit price was 26.55 giving an overall price of £31.86.  Now the unit price looks to have dropped to £24.99 (£29.46 inc VAT).   I just hope the extra I've paid gets to the foundation somehow. But as they've not debited my card yet perhaps when it eventually gets shipped they'll actually charge the lower price (but I doubt it!).

But it's still a bargain and it looks like Farnell are only charging me an extra  £4.45 for their shipping / handling etc which isn't too much of price gouge (that's based on a $35 unit price converted to £ at the current exchange rate),  I'm hoping some of that will reach the Raspberry PI foundation too.

The main gripe I've got is my estimated shipping date of 24th April, but I'll just have to be patient and am looking forward to seeing the posts from the lucky few who managed to get one of the first batch.

I also registered with RS at 06:20  and received a confirmation email 37 hours later, no other word on price or availability from them yet.

Skygod

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:16 pm

The foundation will be on a fixed price per unit I'm sure. Farnell change their exchange rates on a regular basis and changes WILL occur. The base price is in USD and to be fair, my research has shown that they are pretty consistent worldwide.

The Farnell price also includes any Import Duty that is payable on the device, however it does not include Delivery or VAT.

Taking national duty levels and regional postage charges, a Rpi Model B ends up as just over $79 here (just shy of 50 GBP), so you've all done well in my eyes.

Skygod

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:29 pm

Goobley said:

Well try looking at their French pricing, advertised at €44.82, when one follows the link they seem obliged to add another 12.08€ in delivery even though that was supposed to be included in the previously quoted price (which is already high enough over 35$)

Bloody ridiculous, ain't it?

Goobley

Holland and France have Import Duty payable. That's what the difference is about.  It's not 'Delivery', it's your government! If you were in the Eastern Bloc, there'd be no 'add ons' before delivery.

rrolsbe

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:14 pm

I placed a pre-order from Farnell export on the 29th. This is what my invoice shows:

Goods Total: 26.55 Pounds which equals $35.04 on March 3rd.

Delivery Charge: TBA

VAT:  0.00

Order Total: 26.55 Pounds

With a estimated delivery date of April 23rd, 2012

Right after placing the above order I found out Newark was selling the Pi and they were pricing the unit at $35 US but were adding a $20 charge which supposedly included shipping.  I guess this was in error because now the are charging $35 plus shipping (however much that is?) see below.

On March 2nd Newark sent me an email indicating they are holding my place in line and that they were enforcing the one unit per household (even though this is a pre-order and NOT part of the original 10,000 units)?

Did not place an order with them since I ordered though Farnell export as stated above.   I would consider ordering one from Newark but this might require me to cancel my order from Farnell/Export and/or this might push out the delivery date/totally screwing up both orders???? But here is what they show for pricing:

Merchandise Total $35.00

Order Total(excl. Tax and/or Freight: $35.00

Since it appears (Farnell/Element 14) and (Newark/Element 14) are the same company, I hope the cost will be $35 dollars plus shipping and that the unit is shipped from a US location.

rondadon

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi there Liz and Eben, all of you working on this and to the community here.

I am from Germany and also set my alarmclock to get up at time.
At 7:05 I placed my Interest on the RS Website. There was no way to ORDER the RPi. Only placing interest was possible.
So after some minutes I recognized that the Link to RS you playced on your static WebPage at (raspberrypi.org) tokk me directly to the
UK Distributor. So I thought : “Shit” I need to place my interest again but now on the german RS Page. As you know the Websites
of both of the Distributors hat to struggle with DDoS and after 30 minutes I was able to Place my interest on the German RS Page.
Also no way to “ORDER” the RPi.

Parallely I also tried it with Farnell. It was a PITA to go through the whole Order Process but I managed to get an order in Place but with NO
precise delivery date set. Only the Information I will get an Email when they know more.

In the End I was really glad to got through the order which many of us couldn’t but looking at the final Price
I was a bit disappointed. Especially the Postage is in my Opinion way too high. They can send it with DHL for the half of it.

This is what I need to pay (Germany):
Warenwert: 27,07 €
Versandkosten: 7,95 €
MwSt.: 6,65 €
Gesamt: 41,67 €

7,95€ for delivery is to much. But I am happy to be able to get through the Ordering Process at 7:01 GMT+1. Before that the Page was unreacheable. Even 5 of my frieds didnt managed to get
through the ordering process till 9:00 GMT+1 ….

Till now I also didn’t got any Information Email from neither RS nor Farnell. With every day I get the impression that I wont be able to get my hands on the RaspberryPi, because of some complications
on RS’s or Farnell’s side. Even if I was able to place my interest at RS some minutes after Start and get through the Ordering Process really early at Farnell.

Waiting also for the sum up of all the Final Price-Calculations for each country!

Greetings Ron

budgieboy

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Just checked my order with Farnell, still £24.55 + £4.91 VAT so total not changed £29.46. #This for order placed in UK 03/03/12.

Not sure what's going on if the OP is in UK.

... 2 + 8, phew, just enough fingers & thumbs

scep

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:29 am

A gentle reminder:

Discussions about what's going on with orders etc is fine.

Simply badmouthing the suppliers or the Foundation is not acceptable. Please don't do it.

Also, if you have a genuine issue with your order then the best place to try and get that sorted would be with Farnell themselves via their CS or their forums.

Return to “Off topic discussion”