fasman
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:41 am

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:28 pm

No I ate all the spam.

To be fair I actually check my spam box regularly as it normally contains all my forum updates,so I can say with 100% accuracy its not in there.

Nexy
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:56 pm

rurwin said:


RS and Farnell are big international companies (someone said they are 6x larger than Amazon, not sure of that)...

Any supplier's website would have failed with the sort of demand that was placed on them. It was always going to be a fiasco no matter who was chosen as the distributor. If interest had been limited to 100k, then RS and Farnell would probably have held up under the pressure. As it was maybe only Amazon's servers could have coped, but I have my doubts even about them...

The situation over the last few days could have been handled better, but hind-sight is always 20-20. It is clear that the distributors were not ready for the volume of interest and handled it sub-optimally. Only Amazon might have been able to do better, but would not have been such a good fit in the longer term. IMHO, Maplin would have melted under the pressure and still be down. Things will calm down in time and we will all get our RaspPis one way or another.


I'd disagree. They had time to prepare and they didn't. They grossly underestimated demand through ignorance and stupidity. If their main sites weren't capable of handling the load, they should have brought up sites specifically for RasPi. Low bandwidth graphics on a CDN, no need for anything complicated. Take a name, address (that has to match billing address), email address and card. There was only one thing they could buy and they could only buy one of them. No need for the clusterf...flop that we saw on Wednesday. No need for them to lose their main websites and fail to do the simple task of selling RasPis to people who want them. And for that matter, they could have put up a simple temporary solution on Amazon's cloud to handle the initial load, and then migrate back to their normal systems when the rush had died down a bit.

spurious
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:05 pm

Nexy said:


I'd disagree. They had time to prepare and they didn't. They grossly underestimated demand through ignorance and stupidity. If their main sites weren't capable of handling the load, they should have brought up sites specifically for RasPi. Low bandwidth graphics on a CDN, no need for anything complicated. Take a name, address (that has to match billing address), email address and card. There was only one thing they could buy and they could only buy one of them. No need for the clusterf...flop that we saw on Wednesday. No need for them to lose their main websites and fail to do the simple task of selling RasPis to people who want them. And for that matter, they could have put up a simple temporary solution on Amazon's cloud to handle the initial load, and then migrate back to their normal systems when the rush had died down a bit.


Well said..

I was running a site a few years ago that handled 3Mil+ users a day with only 3 web servers and 1 MySQL box.. I'm sure they could provided more resource than that!

khulat
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:43 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Well since RS said they had a peak of 500k visitors in a quarter hour, maybe your example is not exactly helpful.

Maybe they could have coped better. But only if the preconditions were perfect. They would need enough time to implement sites that are not connected to their usual stuff.

<sarcasm>

You have to think of all those pesky regulations that uselessly demand that personal data of buyers be protected. It's not as if anybody cares if the internet knows his CC Number, right?

</sarcasm>

JoeDaStudd
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:14 pm

I expressed interested on the RS site within about a minute of the R-Pi launch page (just before 6am)

I received a confirmation at Mar 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM it was in English.

No idea where I am on the list, but fingers crossed its sooner then the ETA Farnell have been quoting people.

welshblob
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:31 am

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:26 pm

Nexy said:


I'd disagree. They had time to prepare and they didn't. They grossly underestimated demand through ignorance and stupidity. If their main sites weren't capable of handling the load, they should have brought up sites specifically for RasPi. Low bandwidth graphics on a CDN, no need for anything complicated. Take a name, address (that has to match billing address), email address and card. There was only one thing they could buy and they could only buy one of them. No need for the clusterf...flop that we saw on Wednesday. No need for them to lose their main websites and fail to do the simple task of selling RasPis to people who want them. And for that matter, they could have put up a simple temporary solution on Amazon's cloud to handle the initial load, and then migrate back to their normal systems when the rush had died down a bit.


You are funny and seem to know how much time the had to prepare! Yes lets design a new website for them on EC2 and knock that up in a couple of weeks .... oh sorry I'm assuming they had a couple of weeks there .... I don't know that! Good luck with your web design business.

spurious
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:29 pm

khulat said:


Well since RS said they had a peak of 500k visitors in a quarter hour, maybe your example is not exactly helpful.


ok... taking an even distribution that would be 31,250 visitors per hour

but that isn't how the traffic distributes.. so lets say 50K so a nice 10% of the traffic they got

on equipment a lot older. So yes I do think it is a helpful example.

Yes they had more traffic but they are supposed to be big players, so why the hell did they not have enough resource in place? A: incompetence!

spurious
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:29 pm

correction per quarter hour

mental2k
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Yeah, I "registered my interest" in the first 10 minutes, but the confirmation page never loaded (hopefully the info sent) and then the twitter said this was the wrong page, so I just kept refreshing, and didn't re-register again for another hour, when I did see the page.  I hope this hasn't cost me a couple of months waiting for a pi.

RS said they were supposed to be sending pre-order emails yesterday, but it looks like that was a lie too.  Still haven't recieved my confirmation email.

Nexy
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:37 pm

khulat said:


Well since RS said they had a peak of 500k visitors in a quarter hour, maybe your example is not exactly helpful.

Maybe they could have coped better. But only if the preconditions were perfect. They would need enough time to implement sites that are not connected to their usual stuff.

<sarcasm>

You have to think of all those pesky regulations that uselessly demand that personal data of buyers be protected. It"s not as if anybody cares if the internet knows his CC Number, right?

</sarcasm>


It is helpful because it talks about scale. "Maybe they could have coped better"? They failed to keep their website up and working correctly, they'd have struggled to cope more poorly. Farnell managed to have two SKUs listed! That's not some "unforeseen demand" issue, that's a sloppy mistake!

If they needed time, they should have taken the time and done it properly. If, to make the launch an actual success, it'd needed to be delayed by a week then I'm fairly confident that's what would have happened. It's in no-one's interests for this sort of disaster to happen. This was seemingly meticulously planned by RasPi, they coped just fine with the demand, it was RS and Farnell that dropped the ball. If Farnell and RS had said "we'll struggle with the demand, we're going to need to implement another low graphics site just for you guys" or "we're going to need some to do some offloading to a CDN", do you really think RasPi would have said "Go jump, it's our way or the highway"?

Sarcasm duly noted and ignored.

Heaven forbid that they be able to build another secure website using industry standard secure practices. Gosh, perhaps if only there were companies that would handle payments securely for you, if you're incapable or unwilling to manage it yourself? Darn, if only we lived in such a utopia.</Sarcasm>

Ah, it's my second favourite -asm.

RobinWoodo
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:56 pm

mental2k said:


RS said they were supposed to be sending pre-order emails yesterday, but it looks like that was a lie too.  Still haven't recieved my confirmation email.


I'm sorry for you, but I recieved my mail already. Hope they will be quick!

james_
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:58 pm

While RS seemed to be working and I managed to fill out their expression of interest form at about 6:10 I have not heard a peep out of them since. However farnell sent me an email so there have first crack at my money. If RS do contact me I would be happy to buy a second of them....

However farnell look to be doing a good job.

fasman
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:41 am

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:01 pm

mental2k said:

RS said they were supposed to be sending pre-order emails yesterday, but it looks like that was a lie too.  Still haven't recieved my confirmation email.

I wish that one of the moderators/admins could shed some light on that, every third post is the same, we all registered early and RS is not sending us any information!!

MattCook
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:46 pm
Location: S. Manchester

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:21 pm

Nexy said:

Farnell managed to have two SKUs listed! That's not some "unforeseen demand" issue, that's a sloppy mistake!

Or possibly they had created SKUs for both the Model A and B.  I understand that they had different prices ...  Then the only mistake is allowing people to place pre-orders for a model that won't be available for a longer while than the one they thought they were placing a pre-order for !  The swapping of these orders to the Model B would explain why some people were quoted one cost, but the final bill was another.

Just a guess of course, and ultimately makes no difference.

I'm just happy that the beastie exists and that production is ramping up.  I'll be getting one (or more ...) some time.  I can wait.

Matt

SereneJ
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:28 pm

I managed to get on the RS website at 06:10 (although sooooo slow) and managed to get confirmation shortly after!  It would appear that I have received a confirmation e-mail on 1st March (about 20:00) stating that it's 1st come - 1st served!

So it would appear RS are providing some information!

I've no idea what position I am and I certainly will not be found jumping up and down until I have a R Pi in my hand! I either get a R Pi sooner... or later; the world will not end!

I'm simply just gonna wait patiently and ponder for a little while - then go get on with life (my daughter is asking to go to the swings - sounds like the right idea to me).

skooby
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:37 pm

SereneJ said:


I managed to get on the RS website at 06:10 (although sooooo slow) and managed to get confirmation shortly after!  It would appear that I have received a confirmation e-mail on 1st March (about 20:00) stating that it's 1st come - 1st served!


With the wording of the email and the faq's it appears that it's first come first served as on the 29th ie if u were the first person to register their interest then you will get the first opportunity to buy the pi at the end of next week.

skooby

khulat
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:43 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:18 pm



If Farnell and RS had said "we'll struggle with the demand, we're going to need to implement another low graphics site just for you guys" or "we're going to need some to do some offloading to a CDN", do you really think RasPi would have said "Go jump, it's our way or the highway"?


No i don't think the Foundation would have had a problem with that. Only problem here is that nobody knew that the interest would be that large.

Scale is important. 100k People were on the mailing list. 500k People tried to access the page of one of the two shops in a quarter hour.

I don't know where you buy your Crystal Balls, but nobody could have known that the demand would be that high. The reasonable thing to do was going by the numbers that they had. It's always easy to say: "They should do that better." It's harder to say what they should have done better without the knowledge that you have afterwards.

And since preparing for an event that is not seen as likely does cost real money, most company's aren't to keen on doing that. In fact almost nobody is keen on doing something like that.

User avatar
alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2869
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm in the same RS boat as many others. I got on there and registered within a minute of launch. I think it went through OK. But no confirmation email or any other email from RS.

Been checking spam folders religiously too.

Later on in the day I registered on Farnell, and just now got an email from them inviting me to pre-order. I've pre-ordered one which says lead time 30 days, so batch 2.

Still hoping for one of the originals from RS though. This is a piece of computing history and I actually want to see what it can do - how it can be incorporated into my ICT lessons.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

spurious
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Just ordered from Farnell… they estimate 30 day delivery




Goods Subtotal:
£24.55


Basic Shipping:
£0.00


VAT:
£4.91


Total:
£29.46



we'll see… base price is elevated, but they have not added delivery, so £21.60 on RS leaves 2.95 added… say £1.20 actual delivery cost leaves about £1.75 profit for Farnell.

not as bad as I thought

skooby
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:51 pm

spurious said:


Just ordered from Farnell… they estimate 30 day delivery




Goods Subtotal:
£24.55


Basic Shipping:
£0.00


VAT:
£4.91


Total:
£29.46



we'll see… base price is elevated, but they have not added delivery, so £21.60 on RS leaves 2.95 added… say £1.20 actual delivery cost leaves about £1.75 profit for Farnell.

not as bad as I thought



Unless I am very much mistaken deliveries are now in to may even tho they state 30 days. You will receive another email with the delivery date.

I ordered on the 29th and my delivery date is week commencing the 16th april.

skooby

Matt T
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:04 pm

I managed to register with RS in the first minute or so of the site going live and got my confirmation email 1 March 2012 19:33:43 GMT in my spam box. I can"t decide if I should just pre order with farnell or hope that this means I"m on the 1st batch.

skooby
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Matt T said:


got my confirmation email 1 March 2012 19:33:43 GMT



Exactly the same time as my email

spurious
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:09 pm

skooby said:


Unless I am very much mistaken deliveries are now in to may even tho they state 30 days. You will receive another email with the delivery date.

I ordered on the 29th and my delivery date is week commencing the 16th april.

skooby


I did say we'll see  
not had an email yet though.. time will tell

kevco
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:13 pm
Contact: Website

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:14 pm

I don't think they needed a dedicated website for the launch.  I think direct links to the product pages would've helped enormously.  Hundreds of thousands of customers all using the search box was a bad idea and puts more load on the servers than just going directly to one specific page.  Direct links to the various regional sites could've spread the load around even more, but might have made the logistics of distributing the first batch more challenging.  Then you add in even more unnecessary searching because of the confusion caused by the tweet that the "interest" page was the wrong page.  I know I immediately started searching for different combinations like "raspberry pi", "raspberrypi", "raspberry", "model b", etc etc.  This was more unnecessary load on the servers.

I too registered interest on the UK very early, before the tweet that said it was the wrong page, but haven't received any email.  I registered interest again on the US site yesterday which I'm sure puts me well near the end of the line.

Nexy
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:15 pm


khulat said:

No i don't think the Foundation would have had a problem with that. Only problem here is that nobody knew that the interest would be that large.

Scale is important. 100k People were on the mailing list. 500k People tried to access the page of one of the two shops in a quarter hour.

I don't know where you buy your Crystal Balls, but nobody could have known that the demand would be that high. The reasonable thing to do was going by the numbers that they had. It's always easy to say: "They should do that better." It's harder to say what they should have done better without the knowledge that you have afterwards.

And since preparing for an event that is not seen as likely does cost real money, most company's aren't to keen on doing that. In fact almost nobody is keen on doing something like that.


A project that has made the national news repeatedly (in print, online, on the radio especially Radio 4, and on TV), that has been on Slashdot (after which the effect is named), Reddit (which is pretty much /the/ link community since the demise of Digg), El Reg (the IT professional rag of choice), and is selling for less than one's average Dominos Pizza order? Crystal balls? I must have been born with a pair of them. This isn't "Oh, hindsight is twenty-twenty." This is "WTF WERE THEY THINKING?!"

Return to “Off topic discussion”