drgeoff

Re: RS Components

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:11 am

spurious said:

Received: from ... Sat, 3 Mar 2012 23:31:47 +0000...Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----msg_border_Vp8O2kiy6G"
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 15:29:23 -0800
Reply-To: RS Online <[email protected]>
Subject: Thank you for your registration...
My header says:Sat, 3 Mar 2012 15:29:27 -0800and BTinternet says received at:Sat, 03 Mar 2012 23:29:40 +0000

jui-feng

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:12 am

I got my mail yesterday evening at 0:29 (German time), the mail says:

Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 15:29:27 -0800

That is probably 23:29:27 when comparing to the time zone used here.

I tried on launch day, about 6:10, but I don't think the page loaded successfully to show a confirmation. My hope is that the registration still went through! It was even before @Raspberry_Pi posted about the RS registration page not being the correct page.

My second and third attempts were later that day (maybe 6 pm), once at the German and once at the UK page. Since I never heard back from RS, I re-registered yesterday. So 4 times in total.

Now let's see how this continues.

zag

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:17 am

I got one as well from a registration at 7:15am.

The site was down for an hour in-between 6:15am and 7am so hopefully not too many other people managed to register
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

budgieboy

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:34 am

Similar problem on RS. Got to site @ 6.01am and what a job to just register an interest!

Still waiting for the email confirmation; not holding my breath. Doesn't say a lot for RS or fill you with confidence with regard to getting an order let alone a delivery.

Still, much more successful with Farnell - knew I should have gone there first - any how registered interest and got an email inviting me to order a RPi. Succeeded and got a delivery date 3rd April - 2012 I hope So, all is not lost and well done Farnell.

steviewevie

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:35 am

Jongoleur said:

Just before anyone who registered on Day Zero and hasn't heard from RS rushes off to re-register, given the amount of interest being expressed its just possible that RS might choose to ignore the first registration in preference for the second!

It would take a lot of pressure off the demand for the early batches….

I know what you mean. However, I did exactly this last night. I couldn't remember if any of my registrations had been successful, and since I hadn't received a confirmation email at that point, I decided to take a chance and re-register on the RS site.

As I posted earlier, last night I received one of the 23:29 confirmation emails.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that it's *because* I re-registered that I got the confirmation. But it looks to me like re-registering didn't hurt, and RS really did remember my initial registration early on launch day.

SoerenH

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 10:55:46 -0800

...but I'm not exactly sure when i did register. It might have been shortly after the announcement, but as far as i recall i've been searching for an order button for some time instead of filling out that form. In addition i first entered my address into the text field, but the website did not confirm that they've received the data. When leaving the field blank and pressing submit again, it displayed "thank you for your registration". Might that buggy website be the reason why some of you didn't receive an email yet?

Until now, i did not receive any further confirmation - just the "we're busy - hold your breath" email everyone's probably got from RS by now. Farnel did not even send this kind of mail to me - they just confirmed that they've received my order and my registration at their website. Though I did manage to order at Farnell approximately 2 hours after the release, because i couldn't find it on their website...

Anyway... despite my anger about the distributors (which is clearly out of your hands), i really want to thank the RPI team for creating the hardware and making this happen!

robleady

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:17 pm

moiroo said:

My mother works for RS components, and the worker ants knew nothing of the launch date or even what the hell a Raspberry PI was. By 0830 on launch day they had 2500 phone calls about it and anyone that had any knowledge of RS/Pharnell handling sales didn't arrive until 0900, at which point an apology from management was swiftly handed out

By 1300 they had nearly nearly 7000 phone calls and 3000 emails at which point the email system was shut down due to a possible virus/worm/whatever..

From the internal RS emails I've seen, which I won't share here before anyone asks, those numbers are the tip of a very big iceberg...

Regards,

Rob

Burngate

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Being a pesimist, I'd already decided to wait for batch 2 or 3. So watching the melt-down was quite entertaining!

It would be interesting to know how many "expressions of interest" RS and Farnell together have gathered, and how many translate into actual sales. I'd also like to know how many of the 500K hits in the first quarter-hour were actually different individuals - or just 10k people trying 50 times each!

So people have ended up using multiple email addresses on both sites, and each ends up with half a dozen Pis instead of only one? Is this actually a problem? RS and Farnell will each be ramping up production accordingly, and I'll end up with my first Pi earlier than I'd expected, and my second or third will come from the second million instead of the tenth 10k!

dark_avenger

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:48 pm

First hit RS when the Raspberry PI page went live and found the register interest page in the first minute got though and got the confirmation page but no email as of yet.

Noticed the tweet about being the wrong page but by the time that happened both RS and Farnell were DOS'd so just gave up to wait for the next batch.

Fingers crossed for an email in the next day or two if not I'm happy to wait for such an awesome bit of kit

timn

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:01 pm

I received my RS email on Saturday evening at 23:59 but my email reader won't show me the headers so I don't know what that timestamp refers to. However, I think it was Thursday that I registered, so perhaps the emails are sent out in a non-sequential way.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:13 pm

timn said:

I received my RS email on Saturday evening at 23:59 but my email reader won't show me the headers so I don't know what that timestamp refers to. However, I think it was Thursday that I registered, so perhaps the emails are sent out in a non-sequential way.

They're probably not non-sequential, just using a different sequence

It MAY be that the emailer for the reg acknowledgements is working through by surname rather than time/date of registration.

Mine was sent out at 23:29 on the 3rd March. (3 days 17 hours, give or take 20 mins) after submitting my interest.  But its been registered, so all I need do is wait to be asked to buy one...
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

chorlton

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:26 pm

I finally got a confirmation email from RS Components this morning, March 4th. I managed to successfully register for interest at about UK lunchtime on the 29th!

I can't help notice and feel that a LOT of people have "only" a register of interest, or no response at all from RS and so will then have gone on to Farnell and received a confirmed shipping date. So LOTS of RS's interest won't materialise into orders.

welshblob

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Burngate said:

Being a pesimist, I'd already decided to wait for batch 2 or 3. So watching the melt-down was quite entertaining!

So have you registered an interest or pre-ordered from Farnell? If you haven't then you might be waiting even longer as it's really not clear of the timing of the batches and whether they have already been allocated to pre-orders (at least with Farnell).

sdm

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm still waiting for my email from RS and I think I registered between 6.10 and 6.15am.

I've tried to register but get an error saying I've already registered so I must be on the system somewhere I'll have to email them directly if I don't hear anything today and have now done a very late preorder with Farnell to be on the safe side

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Yay. I just got an email from RS which was sent 03/03/2012 23:29

I registered at 0601 on Weds

This is looking hopeful again

In an online chat help session with RS on Thursday the guy said that all people registering should have heard back by Monday. This probably means that he knew better than the plonker who wrote the press release saying everyone would hear by Friday night.

So if you ordered right at the start and haven't heard by tomorrow, the chances are that your registration might not have gone through
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

dave_p

Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:20 pm

I was among the '06:10' crowd, but having heard nothing I re-registered on Friday morning under a different email address. Last night I received emails confirming both registrations at exactly the same time and with nothing to show where either of them were in the queue. I suppose time will tell...

enigmo

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:30 pm

I got my interest registered around 6:05am on Wednesday and got my confirmation yesterday (3rd) at 23:29, so that puts me in the queue I guess.

Personally, I have no problem how things were organised. I think the RasPi foundation has done a stunning job to get things this far, and all off their own backs as well and deserve kudos all the way. And as for the choice of distributors/retailers, I don't see how a better choice could have been made, really. Maplin is UK only, someone like Tiger are US only. Farnell and RS are truly worldwide, and while not geared up for massively popular launches like this (and why would they be, really), they are ideally equipped to organise massive production runs, have the heft to negotiate cheaper component prices in the near future, and the expertise and again financial power to advise and organise component revisions in the future. Further to this, working in a large educational institution as I do, I happen to know that RS is our one and only approved electrical component supplier. As far as I'm concerned, the choices made regarding the initial run and distribution, and future manufacturing stemming from it were right on the money.

As for Farnell and RSs dealings with the launch, again, I don't think we could have expected much different. They aren't meant to deal will large-scale, immensely popular consumer releases, but that's not what this was. This was meant to be a small scale release to developers and early adopters only (and in all likelyhood a test of popularity!). To expect two companies of Farnell and RSs size to dedicate an inordinate amount of resources to one launch that neither could be sure could get past the members of this august and hallowed forum is naive. In one respect they fell down; both companies should have thoroughly advised their sales staff and web teams to expect a deluge could be coming, and it appears neither did, but that's their missed PR opportunity gone. When everything comes out in the wash, we will each of us have a RasPi, those of us who soldiered through the early morning release will be able to say 'we were there, man', and and no-one will care about the details.

JimHearne

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:47 pm

I did the registration of interest about 7am using the RS mobile phone site which still seemed to be working as i guess many people didn't know about it.

Got confirmation at 11.30pm on the 3rd March.

As i didn't know if it had actually worked i also ordered one from Farnell via our rep at work, that now due at the end of April.

Fingers cross the RS one will be earlier.

Jim

Smartybones

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:08 pm

chorlton said:

I can't help notice and feel that a LOT of people have "only" a register of interest, or no response at all from RS and so will then have gone on to Farnell and received a confirmed shipping date. So LOTS of RS's interest won't materialise into orders.

I seriously doubt it, It will depend on RS's shipping dates. Mine from Farnell is not due until 23rd April, Because I registered at around 6.01 maybe 6.02 on RS I think I may be in the group to get one from RS in the batch that has already been made and should be on its way to the UK from China. if RS are going to ship me one within the next couple of weeks I will be taking that one too, and I bet most people have already a project or two in mind so will be happy they will get the chance of getting two of these bad boys!!

silencedkill

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:42 pm

enigmo said:

As for Farnell and RSs dealings with the launch, again, I don't think we could have expected much different. They aren't meant to deal will large-scale, immensely popular consumer releases, but that's not what this was.

I actually did register to respond to that. We had 27 developers throughout Europe getting up for this at 6am. Not even 0.1% of all devvers in our company. but nontheless, call it in internal contest for fun.

In belgium we couldn't order because you needed a BTW (company tax number). Same for holland... To be honest, we couldn't even order if we did had a BTW/VAT number. The page just said register if you're interested. In Germany they got a blank page. In sweden it gave a 404 site not found.

If you have a so called worldwide shop, you're expected to have at least a bit of professionality. So I've got 26 devvers who are genuinly pissed off because of the amateuristic behaviour from a so called worldwide shops. with 27 devvers we expected to at least have some chance of ordering, or get a backorder. But instead, we couldn't even order one, let alone order one in the first batch.

Energy80s

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:00 pm

Just wanted to say that I finally got an email from RS today saying that I am apparently successful and they will be back in touch within a week.  WhooHoo!

However I am keeping calm as I don't know how this will eventually shake out, but hopefully a Pi will be mine in a few weeks time.

PuFFiN

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:13 am

Still no mail from RS for me! Even after registering again, and here I thought i managed to register before 6:10. :/ Wish I at least knew whether my registration worked. Sigh... Farnell definitely seems the way to go.

enigmo

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:19 pm

PuFFiN

I'd say it makes little or no difference. From what I've seen, those with orders in with Farnell have been given yet another revised date for mid-May. RS or Farnell, we'll all get them about the same time.

enigmo

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:20 pm

<Duplicate post deleted>

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:49 pm

silencedkill said:

In belgium we couldn't order because you needed a BTW (company tax number). Same for holland... To be honest, we couldn't even order if we did had a BTW/VAT number. The page just said register if you're interested. In Germany they got a blank page. In sweden it gave a 404 site not found.

If you have a so called worldwide shop, you're expected to have at least a bit of professionality. So I've got 26 devvers who are genuinly pissed off because of the amateuristic behaviour from a so called worldwide shops. with 27 devvers we expected to at least have some chance of ordering, or get a backorder. But instead, we couldn't even order one, let alone order one in the first batch.

In fact, from any sample of 27 people, you would still have only increased you chances of buying from one in 50 to one in 2, so still a 50% chance of not getting anything.

Figures approximate.

All the shops should be getting up to speed now after the initial teething troubles.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “Off topic discussion”