theHetman

Re: RS Components

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:39 am

I have finally got an email from RS too. I got my "expression of interest" in at around 6:10 shortly before the RS site became unreachable.  As I've been hearing reports that the details of some of those that expressed an interest on the RS site hadn't been recorded, I really thought that I was one of those.  It's a bit of a relief that I'm somewhere in the queue but who knows just where.

7 + 12

Zewy

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:45 am

theHetman said:

I have finally got an email from RS too. I got my "expression of interest" in at around 6:10 shortly before the RS site became unreachable.  As I've been hearing reports that the details of some of those that expressed an interest on the RS site hadn't been recorded, I really thought that I was one of those.  It's a bit of a relief that I'm somewhere in the queue but who knows just where.

7 + 12

I also go my mail. I also did the RS register at 6:10.

MuddyDogs

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:12 am

Likewise, I registered on RS about 6:10 and finally got a confirmation email from RS, time stamped Saturday 23:29. So it appears that their FAQ entry saying all emails would be sent out by Friday is wrong. If you haven"t got yours yet there is still hope.

I"d really love to know how many registrations of interest RS have got - perhaps we could run a sweep stake on it

iOnThePi

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:22 am

I got my email confirming my interest this afternoon. Like most of you, I registered shortly after 6am (their time) before the site crashed. Im not holding my breath that RS will be getting my Pi shipped out before Newark does (my ship date of April 3rd).

It doesnt seem that RS is competing for the repeat business or for the 'other items' business of Pi customers like Newark/Farnell is. The community that Newark/Farnell has setup for us is really handy and helpful. It will make me return and buy from them over and over. I cannot say the same for what RS is bringing to the table.

Smartybones

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:15 am

I finally got my notice from RS.. as I registered interest at just after 6am, i think i may be in with getting one from the first batch already winging its way to blighty...

which will more than make up for faenell putting my delivery date back from march to late april

semtex

Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:12 am

Wow, seems like everyone managed to register at 6:10am... just like me... and today I also got the "confirmation of interest" email from RS. But did they take 5000 registrations in less than 10 minutes? I'll find out next week.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:53 am

@semtex:   Its probably fair to say that 06:10 is probably the time whem most people actually GOT to the RS RaspPi page! Perceptions of the actual time when they pressed the register button may be a little awry.

In other news, RS sent me an email!

Its been 4 days, but hey!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Skygod

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:06 am

According to the mail headers I actually got my register interest from RS on Friday, March 02, 2012 2:33:47 AM, so it looks like I could  be one of the early ones.

Now if I were to get allocated one of the early batches, I'm going to be 'gutted', because I have now decided to wait for a Model A.

philipm

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:16 am

RS has emailed ack of my 2nd attempt at registering. I suggest anyone who got in early register interest again, unless someone can persuade RS to email early registerers with confirmation.

I for one am a lot less annoyed at the launch chaos than the many attempts at posting comments on articles that spam free wordpress has blocked. The former is something an organization this small can"t be expected to do much better (hence the inability of the trolls to offer a realisic alternative). The latter is fixable.

RS in South Africa generally has a good reputation so I am hopeful that product will eventually flow but pleased I no longer have a project tied to delivery some time soon.

Robert_M

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:38 am

riggsre said:

Well I went to this site:

http://www.newark.com/jsp/sear.....tt=83T1943

And did this:

Did I mess up?

Since I got the same thing, and am optimistic, I'd say you didn't mess up
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

xe3tec

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:45 am

Why did they choose RS? I mean I just got mail regarding the preorder

For legal reasons we are not allowed to process and ship orders from individuals, as our prices are exclusive VAT. are shown.We ask for your understanding and contact you as soon as possible with further details.

Best regards, RS

Well done...Farnell said the same, so there is no option in the whole German Speaking Part of EUROPE to order a Raspy for a Private Person?

robleady

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:52 am

Philip Machanick said:

I suggest anyone who got in early register interest again, unless someone can persuade RS to email early registerers with confirmation.

It looks like RS may finally have caught up with sending emails out to the early registrants.  Got mine last night.

As has been mentioned previously though, having two vendors distributing means you can't (easily) enforce the one per customer rule.  How many people will cancel their Farnell pre-order if RS come up with goods first ??

Regards,

Rob

Tass

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:04 am

I won"t cancel my order, but will pass my 2nd unit on to someone else I know with only a pre-order in exchange for their unit when it arrives. I"d definitely like 2 units, but happy to wait for the 2nd/3rd batch.

EDIT: *technically*, if I didn"t know anyone with a Pi on back-order, yes I"d cancel my second order.

steviewevie

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:08 am

In all the DDOS confusion (and Twitter confusion too), I can"t actually remember exactly when on launch day I did the RS registration of interest. But I too got a confirmation email dated at 23:29 last night.

I was thinking this was perhaps a second batch, given the earlier confirmation emails received by punters. But reading the replies here I"m starting to let myself a *little* bit excited that I might have sneaked in to the first batch.

fpaliuc

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:33 am

Anybody in Italy that received the response email from RS?

philipm

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:37 am

robleady said:

Philip Machanick said:

I suggest anyone who got in early register interest again, unless someone can persuade RS to email early registerers with confirmation.

It looks like RS may finally have caught up with sending emails out to the early registrants.  Got mine last night.

As has been mentioned previously though, having two vendors distributing means you can't (easily) enforce the one per customer rule.  How many people will cancel their Farnell pre-order if RS come up with goods first ??

Regards,

Rob

I finally received my second email from RS in the early hours of this morning.If they are being processed in order, the first took several days, the second about 12 hours.

If anyone still has not had a confirmation email after registering interest at RS on launch day, since I've now had two, one for each time I registered interest, you may want to try again if you've had no confirming email. My initial attempt was about 30 minutes after the announcement went live, my second one was on the afternoon of Friday 2 March so, if RS has a single worldwide queue, any launch-day attempts at submitting the form should be through by now.

Direct info from RS would help, to reduce the number of people registering interest multiple times.

moiroo

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:03 am

My mother works for RS components, and the worker ants knew nothing of the launch date or even what the hell a Raspberry PI was. By 0830 on launch day they had 2500 phone calls about it and anyone that had any knowledge of RS/Pharnell handling sales didn't arrive until 0900, at which point an apology from management was swiftly handed out

By 1300 they had nearly nearly 7000 phone calls and 3000 emails at which point the email system was shut down due to a possible virus/worm/whatever..

From this I can say Raspberry PI looks like a massive success from these massive enquiry numbers.

P.S. No she isn't allowed to get me one of the early ones

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:07 am

Just before anyone who registered on Day Zero and hasn't heard from RS rushes off to re-register, given the amount of interest being expressed its just possible that RS might choose to ignore the first registration in preference for the second!

It would take a lot of pressure off the demand for the early batches....
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

TheManWhoWas

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:10 am

I'm a member of the "6.10 Club" and finally got an email late last night (23.59 to be precise) the same as several other posters. So it seems those of us who thought our registrations had got lost in the server meltdowns at least now know we are in the queue after all.

It does seem that people who registered later got their confirmations much more quickly though, so I'm guessing it took a couple of days to recover the data off the smoldering hard drives

Question is: now what?

drgeoff

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:10 am

I had an email (in English!) at 23:29 03 March from RS confirming one of my two registration requests. It is devoid of any serial number or time-stamp of the registration so I have no idea where in the queue it is.  I wonder if they have a means of weeding out multiple registrations.  The end of today should answer that.

Having not heard anything from RS by yesterday afternoon, I used the Farnell order link (not registration) at 18:25.  Status is just showing "Received".  I would expect that one is almost the last in the Farnell queue.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

spurious

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:29 am

Received: from ... Sat, 3 Mar 2012 23:31:47 +0000...Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----msg_border_Vp8O2kiy6G"
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 15:29:23 -0800
Reply-To: RS Online <reply@eu.rs-email.com>
Subject: Thank you for your registration...
 took a while for the email server to get it out.. and didn't really give any new info. 
Dear Customer
Thank you for joining the Raspberry Pi revolution and registering your interest in Raspberry Pi’s Model B board from RS Components.
We have received extraordinary levels of demand for this product. To help ensure as many people as possible can experience the Raspberry Pi concept, we are limiting boards to one per customer, and we will send you further information on your request in the next seven days. Once we receive the boards into stock, they will be allocated on a first-come first-serve basis, in order of when requests were received.

Thank you for your patience; we will be in touch as soon as possible with more details. 

grumpyoldgit

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:38 am

TheManWhoWas said:

I'm a member of the "6.10 Club" and finally got an email late last night (23.59 to be precise) the same as several other posters. So it seems those of us who thought our registrations had got lost in the server meltdowns at least now know we are in the queue after all.

It does seem that people who registered later got their confirmations much more quickly though, so I'm guessing it took a couple of days to recover the data off the smoldering hard drives

Question is: now what?

I got my email from RS at 19:33 on 1st March so presumably am a few minutes ahead of you in the queue but I can't believe their server was churning out emails solidly for 28 hours between my notification and yours!

PhilS

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:48 am

Still no notification for me

TheManWhoWas

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:56 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

I got my email from RS at 19:33 on 1st March so presumably am a few minutes ahead of you in the queue but I can't believe their server was churning out emails solidly for 28 hours between my notification and yours!

I'm not sure it is as simple as that. From what I've seen people who think they registered within the first 5 mins and those that registered later in the day got emails a day or two ago.

But there was a whole batch of people who think they registered about 6.10 who had heard nothing, but now suddenly seem to have got notifications.

Suggests to me that there is a patch where they've had to "reconstruct" the registrations from server logs or something because their normal systems had buckled under the strain, and it's taken them a couple of days to do that.

grumpyoldgit

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:05 am

Or, the IT monkeys in the basement are just picking stuff out randomly.

Return to “Off topic discussion”