skooby

Re: RS Components

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:22 am

The RS Faq's are not the clearest. If you registered interest and received the email (which I did) does this mean you are definitely getting one of the first batch?

Skooby

TonyHoyle

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:34 am

Registered with RS at 6.05 am and have heard nothing back.

It was mid afternoon before I managed to get onto the farnell site and by that time they were redirecting everyone to a register interest page too.. im a bit confused that people are claiming they have preordered after that time since that redirect has been there ever since (I check both sites several times a day to see if i can get an order in).

skooby

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 am

@tony:

If you search using the part number of 2081185 on farnell then you can preorder.

skooby

JonB

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:39 am

I stopped buying components from RS many, many years ago. They have always been extremely expensive. I am not surprised to hear of everyone's experiences (mine was similar) and have ordered from Farnell (my delivery date is end April).

What I am surprised about is that the Foundation should choose to go with a pair of firms that - on the face of it - sell only to businesses. This is bad news for the consumer when things go wrong, as I believe your rights are different as a business than as an individual. Both RS and Farnell are not really set up as retail organisations, whereas with the "only 1 Pi one per address" rule, who do they think are going to buy? Not businesses, that is for sure.

I think the licensed model is a great idea, but the choice partner leaves much to be desired.

I would also like to ask why Maplin could not be involved here. They have retail outlets as well as a strong web site, and are consumer oriented. Not that I think they sell much of any quality of course, but they are a proper shop with proper customer service. I think if you put Pis into a retail environment (especially on demo) you are going to reach a wider audience. Let's face it, all geeks want one. But what about the ordinary person? Wanting to buy for the kids who are using it at school? It'd be great if that person could pop into Maplin.

grumpyoldgit

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:40 am

skooby said:

@tony:

If you search using the part number of 2081185 on farnell then you can preorder.

skooby

No you can't.

TonyHoyle

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:42 am

No, you cant - that redirects immediately to the register interest page, as does every other workaround ive seen posted/tweeted... although i havernt tried phoning up and trying to talk them into selling me one that way.

TonyHoyle

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:44 am

Seconded Maplin.. but im not sure they have any manufacturing capacity.

skooby

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:45 am

TonyHoyle said:

No, you cant - that redirects immediately to the register interest page, as does every other workaround ive seen posted/tweeted... although i havernt tried phoning up and trying to talk them into selling me one that way.

So it does. Sorry it worked a few days ago when I ordered.

skooby

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:49 am

JonB said:

What I am surprised about is that the Foundation should choose to go with a pair of firms that - on the face of it - sell only to businesses.

I have ordered from RS and farnell many times in the past and I am not a business.

welshblob

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:52 am

JonB said:

What I am surprised about is that the Foundation should choose to go with a pair of firms that - on the face of it - sell only to businesses. This is bad news for the consumer when things go wrong, as I believe your rights are different as a business than as an individual. Both RS and Farnell are not really set up as retail organisations, whereas with the "only 1 Pi one per address" rule, who do they think are going to buy? Not businesses, that is for sure.

I think the licensed model is a great idea, but the choice partner leaves much to be desired.

I think your have to look at the bigger picture though as this is not just about launch day sales, its about those companies funding the manufacture of the boards and also have a global distribution network. Yes I completely agree that they are not retail consumer orientated websites and will not be used to "sales day" type traffic. The situation I expect will get better and once this enters a steady state type operation. At that point I expect I'll be able to pop down to my local RS trade counter and buy one no problem (instead of being treated like the scum of the earth for not being in the trade).

judderman

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:09 am

Hi

Feeling a little glum & in limbo myself - registered interest at 06:18 & got a confirmation screen, but still no email

Will register with Farnell too, I guess - with 2 suppliers, if anyone took the trouble, it could have been 2 per person from the first batch.

Regards, Stewart

Tass

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:14 am

You can try this link:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/sear.....KU=2081185

Searching doesn't work for me either, but I got that link from my order status page, and I can purchase from there.

Interestingly, it's £2 cheaper than when I purchased on Wednesday at £24.55!

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:16 am

RS and Farnell are big international companies (someone said they are 6x larger than Amazon, not sure of that). Maplin are tiny by comparison, and haven't given good service over the counter for electronics for a long time.

Any supplier's website would have failed with the sort of demand that was placed on them. It was always going to be a fiasco no matter who was chosen as the distributor. If interest had been limited to 100k, then RS and Farnell would probably have held up under the pressure. As it was maybe only Amazon's servers could have coped, but I have my doubts even about them.

In the UK, the business aspect is no problem, and elsewhere it seems to be being dealt with. Personally I prefer RS to Farnell, I've always found them better, cheaper and faster. Both of them are expensive for some products, but they are middle-men; you expect to pay more for a one-stop experience. I don't have a problem with the friendliness of either of them, but then I always deal with them as if I am a business; I don't expect the sort of hand-holding I would get from a high-street retailer. Then again I don't get any better from Maplin, at least RS and Farnell know technical details.

In the longer term, RS and Farnell are a good fit. They understand electronics, they have the infrastructure to support the volume and the capital to ramp production fast. They are the sort of companies that the education sector will be happy to deal with.

The situation over the last few days could have been handled better, but hind-sight is always 20-20. It is clear that the distributors were not ready for the volume of interest and handled it sub-optimally. Only Amazon might have been able to do better, but would not have been such a good fit in the longer term. IMHO, Maplin would have melted under the pressure and still be down. Things will calm down in time and we will all get our RaspPis one way or another.

rickwookie

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:27 am

JJHamster said:

I registered just after 6 at UK RS – eventually the screen refreshed and showed a "Thank-you your registration has been successful" screen. Nothing "till last night when I got an email -

Kære kunde

Tak for din deltagelse i Raspberry Pi revolutionen og for din interesse i Raspberry Pi’s Model B board fra RS Components.

Vi har modtaget meget stor efterspørgsel på dette produkt. For at sikre at så mange som muligt kan opleve Raspberry Pi konceptet, begrænser vi antallet til et styk pr. kunde. Vi sender dig yderligere information om din forespørgsel i den kommende uge. Når vi har varen på lager, bliver den fordelt efter først-til-mølle princippet i forhold til, hvornår vi har modtaget din forespørgsel.

Tak for din tålmodighed. Vi kontakter dig snarest med mere information.

RS Components

Not to sure what this means re my registration/order (and yes I have translated it with

google!) Just wonder if I should  start again?

Glad I"m not the only one. I registered on the UK site sometime during the day (after initially thinking at 6am it must be the wrong page and then the tweet confirming it WAS the wrong page, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr) and got this yesterday:

Bästa kund,

Tack för att du går med i Raspberry Pi revolutionen och har registrerat ditt intresse för Raspberry Pi:s modell B hos RS Components.

Det har varit en exceptionellt hög efterfrågan på denna produkt. För att säkerställa att så många som möjligt ska kunna få uppleva Raspberry Pi konceptet begränsar vi antalet till en styck per kund, och vi kommer att skicka dig ytterligare information angående din förfrågan under den kommande veckan. När vi har fått in varan i lager kommer det tillgängliga antalet att fördelas enligt först-till-kvarn-principen, d v s i den ordning förfrågningarna togs emot.

Tack för ditt tålamod, vi kommer att höra av oss så snart som möjligt med ytterligare information.

not… …a… …clue

Will I now have to order in Sweedish to even stand a chance???

BTW what's yours, Norwegian?

Stark

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:36 am

As said earlier lets hope that all these problems get ironed out over time for the Model A release. Things have to be made easier for the intended goals of the Raspberry Pi to reach schools and ultimately kids with minimum fuss.

I'm wondering given the lead time on most orders, shipping costs, routes etc whether manufacture in the UK would have been the better way to go? Suppose the volume witnessed is justification in itself to have sourced this to China.

AlArenal

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:36 am

Nexy said:

Farnell had two different SKUs listed, 2081185 and 2081347. This was when their website was falling down around it's ears. Presumably the cheaper one was wrong. An utter farce.

Yeah, I got my order working at 9:19 CET after trying to work through the DDoSed site (thereby making it even worse ) since 7. Had to find out by myself that something didn't seem right with the SKU. When I asked about I got told "You are right, the SKU is wrong. Our bad. We cancelled the order. Please got to this URL and register your interest.".

We're all human and make mistakes. But if you put the wrong product online you don't just cancel the orde and leave the rest to your customer. Instead you offer to change the order, remove the wrong product, insert the right one, make your customer happy.

You don't send someone back to the end of the line because you made a mistake..

scep

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:55 am

rurwin said:

In the longer term, RS and Farnell are a good fit. They understand electronics, they have the infrastructure to support the volume and the capital to ramp production fast. They are the sort of companies that the education sector will be happy to deal with.
The situation over the last few days could have been handled better, but hind-sight is always 20-20. It is clear that the distributors were not ready for the volume of interest and handled it sub-optimally. Only Amazon might have been able to do better, but would not have been such a good fit in the longer term. IMHO, Maplin would have melted under the pressure and still be down. Things will calm down in time and we will all get our RaspPis one way or another.

Well said.

Chris.Rowland

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:55 am

In reply to the "Why not Maplin?" question my guess is that retail shops would have demanded a much bigger margin and the board could not have been sold at the specified price.

I expect that what we will see in retail stores in a few months will be kits - maybe a cased Pi, keyboard and mouse - possibly wireless - a power supply, a HDMI cable and a pre-programmed SD card. This lot for about £60 to £70.  Just what you need to buy your children for Christmas.

And I also expect that shops such as W H Smiths will be selling pre-programmed PiCards; put it in, turn it on and it loads a game.

Also magazines - Pi World, Your Pi, Pi User, World of Pi.

All just like the Spectrum/BBC Micro craze of the 80s.

Chris

fasman

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:56 am

I originally posted this in the comments section, on the main page, but with fear that it might get lost in all the comments over there as it hasnt been approved yet I am reposing it here.

First of all let me just congratulate your big launch

But I am a bit sad now after reading trough all of the comments, I logged on at exactly 6:00GMT on launch day , tried to purchase from RS and Farnell but like most could not access there sites, I then started following the tweets and F5?ing the two sites to try and get one.

Twice on RS did I actually receive the “Expression of interest” page, but one of the tweets you put out on twitter, stated that if I got that page it is incorrect, so I never filled it out , until a lot later when you tweeted that “Expression of interest” would be turned into “Pre-orders”  or something like that ,in one of the articles, so I was pretty much at the back of the que by then, and I completed one on both the .co.za (South Africa) and .co.uk (UK) RS sites.

Now I am also reading that a lot of the “Expression of interest” filled out wasnt captured and a lot of people haven’t gotten a email from RS

As for shipping price, I dont think that you could have chosen a more convenient distribute than RS, there literally 20mins away from my house (Centurion South Africa) , and I can arrange local pickup from them so I will only be paying R251 ($33.5) if the indicated price can be trusted.

So to sum it up, Congratulations on the huge demand, and picking a very convenient distributor in South Africa, but I fear that my pre-order never came trough and I am now in the back of the que till 2013-2014

If any one is interested I filled out the RS Interest page between 07:00-08:00 GMT, but still havent heard a thing, I am best off just forgetting about it and waiting for some to hit ebay, I dont mind paying a lot more to get one,but atleast then I will know whats going on.

Smartybones

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:59 am

... how many people had more than one email address registered for the mailing list? Unbelievable!

And what is the problem with that? Would you not consider that I do not have access to both addresses at the same time? FYI, I cant take my phone into most areas I work in because it has a camera on it, an therefore can't get my personal emails for hours at a time at work. Also, I can only get emails to my work account while on site.

Also, As I have bought a Pi for my own personal enjoyment, and have also ordered one for my work as we are going to look into replacing some of our computers that run small tasks like print servers, access control, but the most important, the computers attached to the TV's running presentations. So both my employer and myself were expressing interest in the RPi, so registering two emails would give the foundation a more accurate insight into the expected demand.

what is unbelievable is that someone can be so naive to other peoples needs

danh

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:15 pm

Just for the record.  I registered my interest on th RS website and as such have been waiting for a response.  So today i thought i would check my gmail spam messages and to my surprise there is my confirmation email but in german i think.  So check your spam messages.  My email has been sitting in my inbox for 17 hours.  Now i just have to work out what it is saying.

Good luck

fasman

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Nothing in my spam box...

Smartybones

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:19 pm

spurious said:

The point is though that we shouldn't have to use this subterfuge to buy a consumer product.

Actually, As the Pi comes as a "bare bones" uncased item, its not actually a consumer product just yet. A developer preview release is probably more accurate.

walney

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:22 pm

fasman said:

Nothing in my spam box...

...not even spam

d_brennen

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:27 pm

danh said:

Just for the record.  I registered my interest on th RS website and as such have been waiting for a response.  So today i thought i would check my gmail spam messages and to my surprise there is my confirmation email but in german i think.  So check your spam messages.  My email has been sitting in my inbox for 17 hours.  Now i just have to work out what it is saying.

Good luck

Google translate

Return to “Off topic discussion”