crundy

Re: The general public

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 pm

Y"know, I"ve always dreamed of coming up with a revolutionary idea, selling it, and becoming rich enough to buy my own mansion with a guitar shaped swimming pool. Then I see the crap that Liz & Eben have to put up with to release a non-profit product (the endless questions that have been answered a thousand times, all the nonsense in the press, the constant unwarranted criticism, the ungrateful fans etc) and I"ve come to the conclusion that I"m content sitting at my desk day-in day-out for a bog standard wage.

Kudos to Eben & Liz, you"re far tougher than I am.

tzj

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:16 pm

totally agree.

with the kudos to Eben & Liz
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

Lynbarn

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:28 pm

tzj said:

totally agree.

with the kudos to Eben & Liz

Likewise.

JustThisGuy

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:56 pm

I was thinking pretty much the same thing on my way to work today. Liz & Eben and the whole RaspberryPI Foundation should be proud of themselves for what they've dreamed and accomplished. And lord knows I don't want to be one of them when they open the floodgates.

I've been around the block once or twice and I have to say that the team you have here a the Foundation is great. In the face of whining and intransigence and nay saying in the forums and whatever problems that have popped up, and been quashed, behind the scenes (and believe me that this sort of operation always has problems, Murphy was right after all) you have kept your cool game face on, been as polite as any reasonable person can expect and kept the behind the scenes crap behind the scenes wonderfully.

One of my dreams, from back in the days when computers filled offices, was to someday have a Cray in a pocket watch. From where you have taken us I just might get my wish sooner than I expected.

So, Cheers! Hurrahs! Applause, applause! No need to wait for the shipping to start. Set up a gauntlet and pat each other on the back. Because thousands worldwide would join such a gauntlet if they were there.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

rwaltman

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:10 am

JustThisGuy said:

One of my dreams, from back in the days when computers filled offices, was to someday have a Cray in a pocket watch.

Getting there:   http://chrisfenton.com/homebrew-cray-1a/

lostinlouisiana

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:31 am

I must agree. This whole project has taken me back to when I salvaged the power supply from my dad"s Apple II+ to keep the Apple IIe up and running so I could play Snake Byte and dial into the BBS on our 300 baud Hayes modem! Before I found out about this project, the last code I wrote was in Apple basic. I have since loaded an old windows2k box with Suse, Fedora, and now Debian(just for the fun of it, still not sure which one I like best...) in short my interest in computers and programing has been reinvigorated and for that I cant thank you enough!!!

So, keep your collective chins up. Those who understand and care about this type of project are behind you.

oninoshiko

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:50 am

I'll raise a pint to that!

JustThisGuy

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:35 am

rwaltman said:

JustThisGuy said:

One of my dreams, from back in the days when computers filled offices, was to someday have a Cray in a pocket watch.

Good find, thanks!

The DigiBarn in my home town has a Cray: http://www.digibarn.com/collec.....index.html

And he lets you sit on the (non-functional) power supply!
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

Andre_P

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:37 pm

rwaltman said:

JustThisGuy said:

I saw this a few weeks ago and got in touch with the guy, had a really nice email from him. By the sounds of it he and I are doing similar daytime jobs.

Cheeky Wizard

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:37 pm

Looking back at the original post :-

the endless questions that have been answered a thousand times, all the nonsense in the press, the constant unwarranted criticism, the ungrateful fans etc

this all comes down to a general public that thinks if it works ~ don't fix it,  when we all know that the last time any of us did any programming, it was way back when some of us had only had electricity for a week or so. As far as today's kids are concerned, when we all bought our first pc's, we all went from A to B on horseback. I for one can't wait to get back into some basic programming and hopefully there will be some of the younger generation who will get the programming bug too. If python will be the programming choice, you can be sure that some of today's IT Teachers will have to do some extra homework to keep up to date instead of producing IT illiterates due to death by powerpoint presentations.

A very well done to Ebon & Liz for your patience and perseverance.

Briff

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Just wanted to add my thanks to Team R PI too, I have hope again, and this is why:-

I took my eldest to see the senior schools around our area last year as she's moving up from Juniors.

The young lad assigned to show us around one of the schools told us that there were activities to take part in,  in each department, he then  rushed us around not giving my daughter enough time to take part in the activities the school had put on in each of the disciplines. Until we got to ICT department when suddenly the pace slowed as he boasted how he was Deputy Head Boy because he was top in ICT in the school. I couldn't resist asking one or two questions.  As an employer of IT professionals I knew I wouldn't like what I would hear but I wasn't prepared for some of his answers.

Q. Do they teach you to programme the computers?

A. Yes.

Ok that surprised me.

Q. What computer language do you programme the computers in.

A. English, but they also have computers in the spanish department I think.

So now I'm back on track but just a check to make sure

Q. When you programme the Computers, what Apps do you create?

A. We use Word, Excel, Webplus but my favourite is powerpoint, my dad uses powerpoint.

I read through the spec for the exam the lad was "top in his class for", and my eldest is already able to meet those requirements  at the age of 11, to be frank my two eight year olds could do it.

At last we seem to be getting some traction with the Michael Goves announcement, and I know this is thanks to Raspberry Pi so thank you, as a parent, and an employer.

Kind Regards

Paul Briffitt

crundy

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:20 am

Briff said:

Just wanted to add my thanks to Team R PI too, I have hope again, and this is why:-

I took my eldest to see the senior schools around our area last year as she's moving up from Juniors.

The young lad assigned to show us around one of the schools told us that there were activities to take part in,  in each department, he then  rushed us around not giving my daughter enough time to take part in the activities the school had put on in each of the disciplines. Until we got to ICT department when suddenly the pace slowed as he boasted how he was Deputy Head Boy because he was top in ICT in the school. I couldn't resist asking one or two questions.  As an employer of IT professionals I knew I wouldn't like what I would hear but I wasn't prepared for some of his answers.

Q. Do they teach you to programme the computers?

A. Yes.

Ok that surprised me.

Q. What computer language do you programme the computers in.

A. English, but they also have computers in the spanish department I think.

So now I'm back on track but just a check to make sure

Q. When you programme the Computers, what Apps do you create?

A. We use Word, Excel, Webplus but my favourite is powerpoint, my dad uses powerpoint.

I read through the spec for the exam the lad was "top in his class for", and my eldest is already able to meet those requirements  at the age of 11, to be frank my two eight year olds could do it.

At last we seem to be getting some traction with the Michael Goves announcement, and I know this is thanks to Raspberry Pi so thank you, as a parent, and an employer.

Kind Regards

Paul Briffitt

Lol, class! That would be a bit of a shock to him if he got a job as a programmer! "What's this Eclipse thing? Where's Excel?"

Return to “Off topic discussion”