EdwinJ85

Can I run the Pi as a Minecraft Server?

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to ask if anybody knows about Minecraft Pi edition - I want to set up my Model B to be NOTHING but a Minecraft server.

Would this be possible? Would I be able to use a windows machine as a client? Would I have to use another pi?

Thanks,

Edwin.
Hello!

Jim JKla

Re: Can I run the Pi as a Minecraft Server?

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:35 pm

It is going to struggle. ;)

There have been a few threads on this already
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

EdwinJ85

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Ah, thanks, could you point me to those posts please? I didn't know where to ask so I thought off topic would be a safe bet.

So I can run the server and attach with a regular java based minecraft client? It's on my internal network for two people max so I should be ok with slowish.
Hello!

Jim JKla

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Too many to mention just stick minecraft in the searchand you will see what I mean. :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

malakai

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Mostly yes but you can only get a very limited number of people I lost count but maybe as few as 4 it's a resource thing. Your better off running the server on your Windows PC or MAC whichever it probably has 3 to 5 times the processing power of the Pi. The Pi is a 300mHz PC equivalently.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

EdwinJ85

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:53 pm

My pc is too power hungry and noisy to be left on 24/7 - I only need a two man server anyway. Four man would be awesome if possible.

I want to run the raspberry pi version of minecraft btw, not the normal version.

Does anybody know how to set up the pi as a headless minecraft sever? I don't want it to try and render when nobody has a monitor attached to it....
Hello!

tabbycat

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:18 pm

As I know, there is a console-version of Minecraft dedicated server, which is available from Downloads section at game's official website. I guess it should work on Pi, because it's designed for various Linux distributions.
Feel free to contact me anytime! email-xmpp [email protected] icq 4735902 skype nikolay.g.kim

Return to “Off topic discussion”