Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: Alternative Adventure game beginnings

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:54 pm

You are at the foot of Bingley 5 Rise

You are alone

You have 1 (one) lock handle

You have 1 (one) Shortboat

All the locks are empty

You can go North (N)

>_

(See spamels's post "Elephant in the room | General discussion")
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

MDC

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:59 pm

Go North

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:02 pm

You can't go north, the gates are closed.

nick.mccloud

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Open top sluice

MDC

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:16 pm

use lock handle

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:20 pm

The way you're going, you'll probably flood the Damart factory!

nick.mccloud

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Close bottom sluice with lock handle - which should already be closed as per lock ettiquette

MDC

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:42 pm

help

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:51 pm

nmcc said:

Close bottom sluice with lock handle - which should already be closed as per lock ettiquette

To be honest, if the locks are empty, then the first thing would be to go up the flight and fill the flight from the top lock down.

And as its a shortboat, check that there's no one trying to come down.

Of course, if you're lazy and have time on your hands, you can make a cuppa and wait for the keen buggers in the narrowboat behind you to start going up.....

Chris.Rowland

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Wait for someone to come down?

I had a weeks holiday on a narrow boat so consider myself to be an expert

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Consider the Bingley 5 Rise:

If you want to go UP, its optimal to have each chamber (apart from the bottom) filled before starting. Going DOWN, its best to have each chamber empty.  Its possible to pass narrow-beamed boats in the middle of the flight, however broad-beamed boats require sole occupancy in either direction....

Its fun going through a broad flight in a broad-beamed boat to find some holidaymakers in a narrow hireboat have just come into the locks at the opposite end. 

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:38 pm

nmcc said:

Five, 5, that's nothing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.....es.arp.jpg

But Caen Hill is a flight of individual locks, with space to pass between each lock.  Its not even as mind-bending as Bratch, where the top gates of the lower locks are about 6ft from the bottom gates of the next one up. Caen Hill is just long, hard work.  Luckily its closed most of the time due to water shortages.... 

Bingly is an evil 5 chambered staircase.

Evil, I tell you!

spamel

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:35 pm

I like this thread very much! And for a number of reasons:

a. The type of adventure game described is the one I discussed a while back and used the game played by Tom Hanks in the film Big to explain, I hope to learn how to create a game like this on the Pi, with simple graphics or pictures to make it a bit more interesting.

b. I aim to get a narrow boat, and I am saving hard for one!  The Pi, with low power consumption, gains another point of interest as I don't expect to be on a hook up all the time so have to go canny with the electrickery.

c. It has got pictures!

Chromatix

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:36 pm

I twice took a canal boating holiday in France with my parents.  We hired a narrowboat, of course the locks there are much bigger and built for the local peniche barges, so they can accommodate four pleasure cruisers - which are about the same length as a narrowboat but 50% wider and maybe half or a third of the weight.

At one point I had the pleasure of threading our narrowboat into a lock already occupied by three "plastic bathtubs", in a strong side wind, and successfully bringing it to a halt inside the lock without touching either the lock walls or the other boats.  The bathtubs, meanwhile, were all jostling each other despite already having been moored.

My French, on the other hand, remains appalling.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:53 pm

spamel said:

I like this thread very much! And for a number of reasons:

b. I aim to get a narrow boat, and I am saving hard for one!  The Pi, with low power consumption, gains another point of interest as I don't expect to be on a hook up all the time so have to go canny with the electrickery.

c. It has got pictures!

Why not build one?

Its quite easy, all you need are

A BIG shed

Steel sheets of varying thicknesses (12mm down to 4mm)

A cutting device (plasma or oxy)

A welder and welding rods or wire and gas if you're using MIG

An engine/gearbox/shaft/prop

windows

lots of ply sheeting

paint

And once you've built the shell and got it afloat, you can fit it out!

It should take between 2 to 3 years to get afloat…

(Of course, some details have been glossed over) 

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:00 pm

We've some friends who lived on a narrowboat for about six years (they sold it and moved into a house when they decided to have a baby). It was a refurbished goods barge, with the engine from a midget submarine. Lovely in the summer, but winters on those things can be very hard work; the condensation and resulting damp you get is unavoidable, even with heating; and you'll be doing a lot of work which necessitates wet hands in freezing weather. And don't get me started on chemical toilets...
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:06 pm

liz said:

We've some friends who lived on a narrowboat for about six years (they sold it and moved into a house when they decided to have a baby). It was a refurbished goods barge, with the engine from a midget submarine. Lovely in the summer, but winters on those things can be very hard work; the condensation and resulting damp you get is unavoidable, even with heating; and you'll be doing a lot of work which necessitates wet hands in freezing weather. And don't get me started on chemical toilets...

There's nothing wrong with a PROPER chemical toilet, so long as the handle doesn't fall off when being transported to the san.  The little ones that pretend to be a proper toilet are useless, the tanks aren't big enough and the seals give up rapidly.  As for holding tanks, I know someone who congratulated themselves on how long the tank was lasting before having to be emptied.  Until the bilges began to smell...

I believe that real midget submarine engines originally came from London buses. 

spamel

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:17 pm

I used to be a Construcrtion Plant Fitter in the Army and fit gas and electric meters these days, I know about having cold wet hands!  The condensation is an issue as you say, I will have to learn to manage that as best as I can.  I was hoping to buy up an older boat and do it up as I go along but I just want to get on the water.  And I will hopefully moor up in Sheffield city centre so will find a pub and poo in there! lol

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:35 pm

spamel said:

I used to be a Construcrtion Plant Fitter in the Army and fit gas and electric meters these days, I know about having cold wet hands!  The condensation is an issue as you say, I will have to learn to manage that as best as I can.  I was hoping to buy up an older boat and do it up as I go along but I just want to get on the water.  And I will hopefully moor up in Sheffield city centre so will find a pub and poo in there! lol

I'd say just do what the anglers do, but that would be socially irresponsible!

"Modern", properly insulated boats with a solid fuel stove in the main cabin, hot-air heating and efficient ventilation are snug and dry, even in the depths of an icy winter. All you need is to be close to a water point and a good supply of propane gas bottles.

Of course, there are boats that are more like Das Boot, where you wake up to water running down the inside of the window panes, there's ice in your wellies and you get the feeling that you'll need to blow the tanks before you can go ashore...

Edit for pathos

but not for D'Artagnan, Athos or Aramis. 

JustThisGuy

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:31 pm

@spamel,

For a good head start on an adventure type game you might want to use one of the MUD/MUSH/MOO servers available for linux. They already have the general framework of locations with descriptions, objects and navigation.

They used to be a lot more popular than now. I haven't looked lately but even if none of the available ones serve up pictures you should be able to hack a server and client to do that. MUSHes and MOOes have scripting languages built in for even more fun.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

MDC

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:09 pm

And don't get me started on chemical toilets…

I don't understand, why do you need a toilet on a ship or boat. If you are on a boat or ship the rhyme goes

Water water everywhere good enough to poo and pee.

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 pm

MDC said:

And don't get me started on chemical toilets…

I don't understand, why do you need a toilet on a ship or boat. If you are on a boat or ship the rhyme goes

Water water everywhere good enough to poo and pee.

Even at sea, the venerable "sea toilet" is frowned upon, on inland waterways (canals or rivers) boats that don't have chemical toilets or holding tanks can be impounded and the owner fined.

Chromatix

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:29 pm

At sea...  yes, mostly.  Biodegradable stuff happens pretty quickly out there and, in open ocean, there's enormous opportunity for dilution.

On a canal...  not so much.

Even at sea, there are efforts to stop ships from dumping raw sewage in some areas.  The Baltic has a huge problem with eutrophication, which is what happens when biodegradation goes out of control and the microbes (aka. various forms of algae) responsible for it start outcompeting higher lifeforms (ie. fish) for oxygen.  The primary driver for this today is phosphorus from fertiliser runoff, but not so long ago the raw sewage output from Leningrad was notorious.

(Hint: Leningrad is now marked on most maps as "St. Petersburg" and as such has much more sophisticated waste treatment facilities than it used to.)
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Chromatix said:

... The Baltic has a huge problem with eutrophication, which is what happens when biodegradation goes out of control and the microbes (aka. various forms of algae) responsible for it start outcompeting higher lifeforms (ie. fish) for oxygen. ...
Parts of the Mediterranean had similar problems, its probably not as bad now, but thats only because of improved treatment plants on land and greater control on shipping. Nitrates originating from fertilizers also contribute to increased algal growth/deoxygenation in streams and rivers abutting farmed land.

Hmmmmm  Canal locks to ecological imbalance.  Amazing!

Return to “Off topic discussion”