Kerblamm

Re: Which country has the best internet?

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:08 am

Which country has the best internet (total of upload and download) do you suppose? Cuz I'm in the U.S., and my internet is -censored-. I was wondering if it's really bad in other countries as well.

alexandru.cucu

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:16 am

I've got 15 mbps down and 1 mbps up on my ADSL connection but I'm in a rural area where the big providers are just coming. There are better offer when it comes to speed, but this solution is more stable. The other networks have frequent downtimes because of the infrastructure.

In the city almost everyone has at least 50 mbps upload and download, most have 100 mbps. I have seen providers that give you a gigabit connection, at least for traffic in the metropolitan area.

Oh, and we only have traffic limits for mobile connections. Everything else is unlimited

I live in Romania.

http://speedtest.net/ had some statistics but I can't find them any more.

Edit:

Found them: http://www.netindex.com/
https://launchpad.net/~alexandru.cucu

toxibunny

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:37 am

I get about 1 megabyte/second max download speed, uncapped. Finland. Life is sweet compared to the UK's 'fair usage' data limits...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

mobeyduck

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:40 pm

The land with the piratebay has one of the best connections overall, they started a political campaign and made every one in Sweden get fibreglass connections.

But South Korea has the best as in fastest connections

-found a list

http://www.bazics.net/2010/12/.....nload.html

Basicly country's like Romania get a high place in the list because they didn't had cable/adsl every country uses the best there was available at the time of the investment so the country´s that already had cable or adsl lines to every home end up a bit lower in the list.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:35 pm

I get about 5Mbps down, and under 1Mbps up. We live in a very rural area (we're not on the gas network here either) which is served by wet string.

The really annoying thing is that we frequently get junk mail from Virgin and other providers wittering on about the blistering speeds we could get with their cable package. All very well, but the nearest fibre optic cables are in Cambridge, which is an hour's bike ride away.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

o19

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:49 pm

annoying, really?

In rural Germany (like: here!) we have 384kbps down and even less up. That's basically all you get. When the weather is nice you can get the same speed via the mobile networks, but that's it. One bus per day and not even the possibility to watch recorded lectures online. The result: people move to where the provider is... sad but true.

mobeyduck

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:10 pm

just did 3 tests on speedtest.net for my "effective" speed average is 13 down 3,5up the provider sais 40/4 so Im getting half the download en nearly full upload.

With cable being a shared medium it could have a relative heavy load at my test moment.

--edit-- hitting 20 with IE instead of firefox avarage 18 same upload

psergiu

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Also Romania here.

50/50 Mbps + free wifi in the city from cable co (~7 UKP/month)

6/0.6 Mbps ADSL (supposed to be 50/16 VDSL, not supported because of old line) from phone co (~4 UKP/month)

There are providers offering 1000Mbps fibre to the home.

All because after the 1989 revolution the internet offering was so bad & expensive that people started building LANs with their neighbours and sharing internet connections. This "neighbourhood network" business got extremely widespread (think LANs with 1000+ connected appartments) so the ISPs were forced to lower their prices and offer competitive speeds.

abishur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:17 pm

As an American I can confirm that America is one of the *worst* 1st world countries in terms of Internet.  While some of that has to do with the fact that there just so much land to cover that that makes upgrades to the network difficult the other half has to do with (wait for it) HISTORY (cue ominous thunder)

Back in the day monopolies were a bad thing and so we (USA) made antitrust laws that said you can't have a monopoly and the Regan administration back in 1982 used those laws to brake up AT&T into a lot of companies that usually ended or began with the word "Bell" (I.E. Southwestern Bell or Bell South) fast forward to the Clinton years.  We now kinda like monopolies (NFL, Apple), so when Clinton set up an internet tax he gave a bunch of money to AT&T and said, "Go upgrade the internet", and they said, "How about we just buy back all the companies Regan made us split into?" Clinton as a Democrat and naturally opposed to anything Regan, a Republican, did said, "sure why not?"

So instead of getting an internet that matched other counties we got... AT&T *shudder*

*side note, I have no political affiliations and the above paragraph was presenting the facts humorously, please don't take more out of them then that
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

MDC

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Abishur you should work with Jon Stewart on the daily show.

Technology correspondent: Abishur

tzj

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:03 pm

UK... 20 meg for £20, not exactly, 13.1 meg down 0.71 meg up recorded... average 1mb/s download... am 50 yards from the exchange too.

after reading Romania charges less than £10 for more than double, I feel a little ripped off...

and there"s me thinking the US had the best.
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

Skygod

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 am

Thailand

Provider : 3bb

6.0/.512 is $20 per month

9.0/1.0 is $30 per month

12.0/1.0 is $50 per month

16.0/1.0 is $75 per month

20.0/4.0 is $100 per month

All of the above suffer from poor latency, so a 'Premier' service is also available

5.0/1.0 is $85

obarthelemy

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:07 am

Paris, France, 30€/mo fiber (includes unlimited fixed phone calls, free wifi + VOIP whenever I'm in range of another of their customers, and a gaggle of TV stations).

Speedtest.net tells me 16Mbps up and down. Which I find kinda weird because I've seen transmission reporting uploads of 8 MBps (bytes, not bits). Since their server is US based and their tool flash-based, I'm guessing both slow the test down.

MorgUK

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:52 pm

I live just outside a city center and I get 2mb down and 800kb up Plus, because it's a care home converted into a block of flats it missed out on the fibre connection even though the street has it..

Jessie

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:09 am

I live in the USA as well.  The best speed I can get in my area is 20Mb dl/ 850Kb ul that is fiber to the curb.  I pay for 12Mb/850Kb and when I bench it I get almost full speed both down and up.  The nice thing about fiber is that my pings are always at or below 80 when gaming.  I would pay to have my service upgraded if they would give me better upload speeds, or if they upgraded my area to 60Mbs which is common closer to the downtown area.  Right now they are just milking us, I have family in other parts of the country that get 40 and 50 Mb/sec for what I pay a month.

spurious

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 am

UK .. rural .. fibre to the box ..

(local side of the road green exchange, then copper to the house)

I get 23Mbps dl / 1Mbps ul.. supposed to be 40/2

costs about £30/month includes phone line rental

austincurr

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:53 pm

I'm in rural Texas, but have faster internet now than I did when I lived in the city. I get ~1.5 megabits download and about .3 megabits upload. We pay about $100 a month for this with phone with unlimited long distance also included in the price. We're about a quarter mile or so from the box thing. The max the place we get internet from will let you buy is 6 megabits download or so, I think.

Edit: For clarity about the price.

timgiles

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:07 am

Sweden is pretty sweet. You can of course opt for the slowest package 10/10, but most people go for 50/50 or 100/100, 200/200. In the major cities now we have Gigabit in both directions. It costs around a thousand pounds to have it installed to newly built homes, but otherwise it uses the same Fiber Optic cables we have everything else piped down. All telephones are IP - you can have broadband without a phone.... In every way, all the complaints I living in the UK, are non existent.

Where it gets better is mobile 3G and 4G. Again I am used to getting what I pay for now. Its relatively cheap and damn fast. The infrastructure installed is the right size for the town/cities and the number of people.

Finally - rural peeps in Sweden in general are running 100/100 fibre. My sambos mum and dad live 35 mins drive outside of town, in a village of 14 houses. They are all on and get 100/100!! and no, costs no more than ours in town.

BUT - Hong Kong, south korea, both are putting in tons of fibre. But again, not sure the rural villages will ever get the benefits.

Return to “Off topic discussion”