nichobb

Re: Usenet Recommendation for UK

Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:43 pm

I'm looking to move from BT (British Tel rather than torrent) and the only thing I would miss is the Usenet (well SABnzbd wouldn't be so useful).

What recommendations do you have?  I'm interested in price (£), retention (if under a year), what download speed you get and completions of uploads.  I don't upload (although was thinking of doing the R-Pi distribution).  Would a Block or Monthly be better?  The best one I've seen so far is newsdemon.

To show the low level of expectation, the BT included Usenet plan is very basic, only 3 connections, each connection giving about 63 kbps download.  Retention is about 145 days for binaries.  However, completeness is really high.

Currently I download about 30GB per month, mainly from binary groups but this can vary.

Thanks for any help and advice.

scep

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:00 pm

I've been with Gianews, Newshosting and Astraweb in the last ten years. They've all been very good – I juts go with the lowest unlimited price at the time.

I'm currently with Astraweb and am happy with them. $10/month, 3.5 year retention, very rarely get incompletes (well, never as far as I can remember). Connections coming out of your ears, I get the full speed that my line allows (2.5 Mbit) at all times.

The $10 is 10Mbit, but being on BT I don't think that this is a limit that needs concern you For 30Gb I'd personally go for monthly – no vague "how much have I downloaded this month?" worries. It's unlimited d/l so the only cap is BT itself (the dirty beggars warned me a few months back that I was approaching 100Gb. Which is really weird, because I have their unlimited plan )

[edit: just noticed that you are moving from BT - good stuff! ]

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:03 pm

i use astraweb http://www.astraweb.com/  paid for 180GB ($25) a year ago and barely dented it.  they are pretty good but you do need a decent indexer too

nichobb

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Cheers, so basically not much difference, nice to know it's difficult to pick a bad service now - I may just try a block account before going for a monthly unlimited one.

As much as I dislike BT for the high price they do give good service (I've found anyway).  I can't complain about speed either, on my up to 20mb line, I actually get 17mb but I'm next door but one to the exchange which may help.

Return to “Off topic discussion”