Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Is this a British website?

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Whipcrack away! (I love that movie.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

grumpyoldgit

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm sure you will have lots of fun but whatever you do, don't mention George Takei.

liz

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:30 pm

I had forgotten about that. Didn't George Takei very publicly fail to invite Shatner to his wedding?

I am sincerely grateful to George Takei. My Mum had a giant crush on Mr Sulu, which is how she ended up seeking out a tiny Oriental gentleman to marry.

Incidentally, your new avatar is terrifying.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

grumpyoldgit

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:37 pm

Have you worked out where it is from yet?

They have been sparring with each other for years. I think William Shatner started it but George Takei has an absolutely massive following on Facebook and shares several amusing items a day. Every now and again he takes a little dig.

abishur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Yeah Shatner started it, but he recognized he was being a jerk after the series was over and he matured and tried to apologize, Takei would have nothing to do with his apology.  Quite sad.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

johnbeetem

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:22 pm

liz said:

I have just been invited to William Shatner's Hollywood Horse Show by a friend in Beverly Hills. (I think I'm actually getting to meet the man himself; I HAVE NO WORDS.) Apparently I have to dress in Western wear. Jeans and cowboy boots I can do; could some of you Texan gentlemen please explain what cowgirls wear on the top half? I have no ideas beyond plaid.

I'm not a Texas gent, but I suggest going with Jane Fonda's Cat Ballou (1965) http://www.imdb.com/media/rm12...../tt0059017 or else Barbara Stanwick's Forty Guns (1957, IMDB picture doesn't do it justice).

abishur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:27 pm

liz said:

I have just been invited to William Shatner's Hollywood Horse Show by a friend in Beverly Hills. (I think I'm actually getting to meet the man himself; I HAVE NO WORDS.) Apparently I have to dress in Western wear. Jeans and cowboy boots I can do; could some of you Texan gentlemen please explain what cowgirls wear on the top half? I have no ideas beyond plaid.

A cotton button up shirt of some plaid variety is a fairly good start.  If you wanted to go all out you could always throw on a leather (fuax leather) vest with some fringe

mengel

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Howdy--I'm from Minnesota and say that all the time. Now if we could just accept that we are two peoples separated by a common language and united by a passion for mocking how others speak, well then it would be a "done deal" and "Bob's your uncle"

mengel

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Abishur said:

Yeah Shatner started it, but he recognized he was being a jerk after the series was over and he matured and tried to apologize, Takei would have nothing to do with his apology.  Quite sad.

I heard an interview with James Doohan, "Scotty" and he could not say enough bad things about Shatner. Including "The biggest a**hole I ever met"

abishur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:05 pm

mengel said:

Abishur said:

I heard an interview with James Doohan, "Scotty" and he could not say enough bad things about Shatner. Including "The biggest a**hole I ever met"

And Shatner quite readily agrees with that assessment of himself from back in the day.  Thankfully, he realized it and at least had put forth the effort to amend his ways.  Sadly it was too little too late for many of his former cast mates

Gert van Loo

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 pm

As a kid I loved the Star-trek. Now I am older I can see that Shatner is an absolute terrible actor.  I am wondering how I ever could have enjoyed the series.

Talking about Start-trek, I recently saw the new Start-trek movie. Full of amazing effects but complete ruined by terrible acting and a story thinner then rice paper. I can not believe how anybody can produce a movie that bad these days and not get convicted to life imprisonment.

Best example: They can transport eight people at a time but send only two guys to the enemy ship to save the earth.

scep

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 pm

liz said:

I am sincerely grateful to George Takei. My Mum had a giant crush on Mr Sulu, which is how she ended up seeking out a tiny Oriental gentleman to marry.

This is perhaps the most profound, surreal and hilarious comment I've read on this forum. Thanks Liz

crundy

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:16 am

scep said:

liz said:

This is perhaps the most profound, surreal and hilarious comment I've read on this forum. Thanks Liz

So does that mean in a roundabout kind of way we have Takei to thank for the R-Pi? We should tweet that to him!

I do like his comedy stuff these days, like this video recently.

deepthought

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 pm

A bap is a soft round 'roll'; a cob is a hard, crusty round 'roll'.  And a roll is one of them things posh folks dip in their soup while hot...

Here in the Dark Land of Mordor (The Black Country), the customary greeting is either "Warro!" - derived from "What ho!" or, for the chavving classes, "Owamya mate!" - "How are you old chap?"

Howdy doesn't wash except in line dancing classes...

grumpyoldgit

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:36 pm

Bring us back a tribble.

Prometheus

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:08 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

Bring us back a tribble.

Now there's a good idea for a Raspberry Pi casing - a plush Tribble!

hstubbs3

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:07 am

Tribble-Pi?

The trouble with this is they would multiply....

Jessie

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:37 am

liz said:

When I was in HS I lived near a cattle ranch, goat ranch, and a hog farm.  I can tell you real cowboys and cowgirls don't wear all that garbage.  Most of the time I would see them in tight blue-jeans, a white T-shirt, a baseball cap, and of-course the boots.  The only exception was Sunday church, they would all wear nice leather hats & suits, and some the ladies wore some kind of dress, even then many were still in blue-jeans and white shirts.  But it wasn't all that flashy garbage you see at a Rodeo.

But I suppose that for The Shat you want something a little nicer than authentic work wear.

Burngate

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:59 am

Somewhere in the loft is a cowboy hat and a snakeskin whip, both from Calgary Rodeo 1971, and both absolutely genuine, I know this because the man who sold them to me said so. If you want to borrow them just let me know.

Return to “Off topic discussion”