spamel

Re: General "I can't wait until release day" thread!

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:54 pm

If, like me, you are getting really anxious by now, then blow it out of your system!  What are you most looking forward to doing with your RasPi when you get it?  Frightened of missing out on the first batch?  Interested to find out just how well XBMC will perform?  Wondering how best to place the Pi when you first get it so that tea doesn't get spilled all over it?  Just want to holler "SQUEEEEE!"?  Do it folks, get it out of your system!

nichobb

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:38 pm

what ever. take it or leave it.

God I wish.

cheery

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:39 pm

I expect my cat giving it a static electric discharge, which will fry it. Which is why I plan buying two of them if I can!

MegaGumbo

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Getting more anxious day by day. I hope that I can do something with the gertboard / GPIO, motors or IR controlled toys. XBMC is also an option. In the meantime, I read the forum and try to gather as much information as possible. Squeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

abishur

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:56 pm

cheery said:

I expect my cat giving it a static electric discharge, which will fry it. Which is why I plan buying two of them if I can!

Only one at first but they'll open it up for us later
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

TheEponymousBob

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:01 pm

I dunno, but I swear I can smell pi baking...

spamel

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Not long now, is it?! OOOOOH, COME ON LIZ, GIVE US AN UPDATE! THERE MUST BE SOME NEWS, HOWEVER INSIGNIFICANT!!!

Prometheus

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:50 pm

I'm holding off for when the official cases are available, so I'm probably more calm than most about the launch.

What I can't wait for, is seeing what the first recipients do with theirs, and seeing what gets documented here.

oninoshiko

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Well, it seems to me there is alot of excitement going around.

I know I'm excited!

I don't even know what I want to play with on it first!

Some of my coworkers and I have talked about puttin one in a keyboard.
The SD cards would be great for distributing games.
I'm interested in microkernels.

I've basicly been a countdown here for when the run is finished... Wooo!

2 + 9 = surely 29

riffraff

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:26 am

cheery said:

Used to have three systems in mini-towers lined up on a 12' folding table in my spare bedroom office. I was constantly tweaking hardware or testing boards on them so I always left the covers off.  Had a small (very light, but fiesty) little tux with a big bushy tail.

He made a habit of leaping through the cases through the tiny gaps between the mainboard and the front panel. Never fried a board, but I was constantly having to reconnect front panel jumpers.

riffraff

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:50 am

First one becomes a bedroom computer/media center. We recently moved to a new house and my wife and I are in a tiny bedroom that is mostly filled with out queen-size bed.

No room at all for the computer desk. No room for her behemoth JVC stereo system. Just room enough for the sewing machine cabinet which will have to double as a computer desk. Hoping SATA DVD with USB converter will be able to play DVD's on Pi.

Have new Phillips 20" flat-screen, new Logitech USB keyboard and mouse, my old 300GB Seagate FreeAgent backup drive and a powered hub waiting to put it together. Have an old Magnavox DVD player that looks like a miniature desktop case which should house everything. DVD guts will be stripped out and case will be refitted to accommodate a SATA DVD, sans front panel.

Second one, when available, will become the new public area PC in the kitchen. That one stays on ALL the time, so should see a little off the top of my electric bill when it's replaced with a Pi.

Third, when I've worked all the kinks out of the media stuff, will be built into my wife's stereo receiver. The faux "bar graph" VU meter will be replaced by a small LCD monitor and will serve as a Shoutcast streamer.

allcardI

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:45 am

Damn excited.

I am like Peter Griffen Excited.

got my little screw drivers at the ready.. What am I going to "pretend" to do with it...oh god so much!

I have been a big fan of small devices for years, yes you can go out and get a super duper high powered beast, but I am old school Spectrum..Bubble Bobble type.

My most fav thing that I have bought for years, must be Linksys NSLU2 thats been unslung and runs off 5V....headless. That cost around £90.

This project is so cool, a mobile phone device, in the hands of me....oh man....its going to be some sort of file server, SMTP server, or some other server of some kind......the graphics are so wasted on me....I just hope that the ARM chip is up to high bandwidth loads. .......well.....just me really....sending stuff around the house via different little boxes.....The Misses has not been told yet of a new little box of tricks to be added to the so many I already have......

I wonder if it can be made into a TV box......great size, 5 V.......good for using as a low cost bit torrent server/client......

mail server is the top priority I think....have to create an app that will use the graphics...I don't know....a 3d affair that shows a letter everytime a new message is delivered....

I wonder if FreeNAS could be installed on one?

allcardI

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:45 am

Damn excited.

I am like Peter Griffen Excited.

got my little screw drivers at the ready.. What am I going to "pretend" to do with it...oh god so much!

I have been a big fan of small devices for years, yes you can go out and get a super duper high powered beast, but I am old school Spectrum..Bubble Bobble type.

My most fav thing that I have bought for years, must be Linksys NSLU2 thats been unslung and runs off 5V....headless. That cost around £90.

This project is so cool, a mobile phone device, in the hands of me....oh man....its going to be some sort of file server, SMTP server, or some other server of some kind......the graphics are so wasted on me....I just hope that the ARM chip is up to high bandwidth loads. .......well.....just me really....sending stuff around the house via different little boxes.....The Misses has not been told yet of a new little box of tricks to be added to the so many I already have......

I wonder if it can be made into a TV box......great size, 5 V.......good for using as a low cost bit torrent server/client......

mail server is the top priority I think....have to create an app that will use the graphics...I don't know....a 3d affair that shows a letter everytime a new message is delivered....

I wonder if FreeNAS could be installed on one?

Des_Zac

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:48 pm

I keep forgetin to check back here, everyone's gonna forget about me :S

Oh well, I can't wait to get mine, definitely XBMC for the first one, the second one will probably be mine "For Fun" one.... the rest I'll have to see

Hmm, thought I'd have a lot more to say here, oh well.

Till next time,

-Zach

spamel

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:13 pm

The "eBay" equation reared it's head in another thread.  I will categorically state right here and now that I certainly won't buy a Pi off some scalper on eBay.  My money goes to the foundation and that is it.  If I have to wait for batch 3 even, so be it.

psergiu

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:46 am

It's the 20th. The RPis were packed and are being carried to the airport

spamel

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:21 pm

SQUEEEEE! THEY'RE GONNA BE HERE BY TEATIME, LIZ PROMISED!

9+4: A bad omen, perhaps?

abishur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:53 pm

psergiu said:

It's the 20th. The RPis were packed and are being carried to the airport

First, hilarious photo if doctored, sad state of affairs if legit!

Second, I might be a little over literal here when you're just making a joke, but the boards are *supposed* to get off the production line today (I say supposed because I'm remaining cautiously hopeful and until I get some official news I'm trying to stay reigned in ) that doesn't necessarily mean they're packaged and being carried off to the airport. (though whatever the time table of that part is, we've been told that barring a major flaw where every board needs a touch up fix, we should be able to purchase them by the end of the month!)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:31 pm

spamel said:

SQUEEEEE! THEY"RE GONNA BE HERE BY TEATIME, LIZ PROMISED!

9+4: A bad omen, perhaps?

9+4 - My favourite bad omen.... 

Look, if you're getting a tad over anxious with anticipation, there's a stack of brown paper bags in the corner.  Try breathing in and out of them, slowly, whilst meditating on the theme "They'll be here when they're here".

There,  That feels better, doesn't it?
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

spamel

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:16 pm

SQUEEEEEEEEE!

spamel

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:41 pm

SD card arrived today, an 8GB SanDisk from Play for a fiver.  SQUEEEEEE!

Juist waiting on wireless keyboard and mouse, powered hub  and summat else which i forget!  Oooh, and my new battery charger for the camera batteries arrived yesterday, which was nice!

Foxhoundz

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 pm

Are there any official updates on the status of the boards? I'm sure it's possible to track the production progress, right?

spamel

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Wrong! And any questions tend to get threads locked, so do me a favour....!

Lynbarn

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:10 pm

Foxhoundz said:

Are there any official updates on the status of the boards? I'm sure it's possible to track the production progress, right?

No! – it is possible, but the Foundation isn't reporting in detail. It has said it hopes to make them available by the end of February.

Please read the FAQs for further information

Return to “Off topic discussion”