New HDMI cable: check

New PSU w/ cable: check

New SD card (actually two): check

New keyboard w/ touchpad: check

New Ethernet cable: check

New Raspberry Pi Stickers: check

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: check

New Raspberry Pi: awwww

Sorry for spam. Anyone else in a shopping frenzy?

TheEponymousBob

Re: Shopping Frenzy

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 pm

I don"t see beer. Tell me there"ll be beer?

spamel

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:13 pm

I have been looking at wireless keyboards, I like the idea of a track pad instead of the numpad but still not entirely sure!

lazybum

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:30 pm

TheEponymousBob said:

I don"t see beer. Tell me there"ll be beer?

My friend, there is plenty of beer involved. I'd be rather drunk than mad. Maybe. Dunno. OH GOD WHERE'S THE CASE THERE'S NO CASE!

spamel said:

I have been looking at wireless keyboards, I like the idea of a track pad instead of the numpad but still not entirely sure!

You've got to touch this one?

Here I smear some fatty fingers over that wired thing. Very nice. Cable is good during development.

mgmt_idiot

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:43 pm

I took the opposite approach:

Old 2003 vintage LCD with composite input: check

Old composite cable from a VCR which long since went to the tip: check

Old USB hub and power supply retrieved from box scheduled to go to the tip: check

Old 2004 vintage USB RF dongle for wireless keyboard and mouse: check

Old Ethernet cable left over from a router that died over Christmas: check

Old audio jack to red/white audio input from probably from the same old VCR: check

Old Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: check

New Raspberry Pi: pending

New SD card based on Chromatix’ advice: Order as soon as RasPi shop lets me buy a RasPi.

Actually, I’ll probably route it by HDMI into my main monitor rather than use the old stuff, but I plan to give it a whirl with the old connection types just because.

piglet

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:35 am

New 1080p HDMI capable screen: check

New HDMI cable: *to buy with pi*

New PSU w/ cable: check. kindle charger - but may buy "approved pi one"

New SD card (actually two): *still to buy*

Old Keyboard and mouse: check

Old Ethernet cable: check

New Raspberry Pi: awwww

Reminds me of an old lady I used to help by distracting her with conversation as a child. She was unable to get to her gate without checking she'd locked her front door. Every time she got to the gate she couldn't get through without checking again. If I distracted her with some chat she was able to get through.

She was a lovely old lady and it was very sad. I wonder how she got out when I wasn't there.

Luny

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:04 pm

piglet said:

She was a lovely old lady and it was very sad. I wonder how she got out when I wasn't there.

Very slowly I expect. Bloody marvelous that you helped her like that. Most kids would have made up a horrible nickname for her.
Luny

arwen

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:01 pm

lazybum said:

You've got to touch this one?

Here I smear some fatty fingers over that wired thing. Very nice. Cable is good during development.

Amused by the fact amazon have the logitec keyboard and a HDMI cable as 'Frequently Bought Together'  Yes I am easily amused today!

They only things I need to buy are a HDMI cable, USB hub and SD card/s. The rest I have lying in various boxes around the house.

ArborealSeer

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:18 pm

1080p Screen – already had bought recently for my PC (phew!) (can't really claim as old!)

HDMI to VGA – Still to buy to use an alternative monitor. waiting for a proven+cheap one

HDMI cable – already had (phew!)

HDMI switch – luckily have 2 as when I moved recently I lost it for a while and bought a replacement

New PSU  – Check – Did buy the regulated one from Sainsburys in their sale

SD card – Still to buy (waiting on a few details..)

Old PS2 Keyboard and mouse – check

PS2 keyboard and mouse to USB HID Convertor  – bought on ebay

Old Computer speakers – brand new set with a sub barely used.. do need to buy an amp though as my other one is in the lounge now

RJ45 patch cable to connect it to "Teh Internetz" – check already have a wired internet connection in the garage via a Powerline adapter.

So all in all, total cost so far about 7 quid with the RPi and the SD cards to add to that.

Room to put it all in – FAIL.  Construction depends on 2 other projects.. boarding out the main house loft which I start tomorrow, then the garage's loft before I start on converting the garage into my room.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

Chromatix

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:34 pm

The only things I have actually bought for the R-Pi are:

1) A Micro-USB cable, which Nokia wanted €29 for - I told them where they could stick it and found one for €7 instead at the local equivalent of Tandy/Radio Shack.  This means that I can loopback-power the R-Pi from a powered USB hub.

2) Entirely too many SD cards, all different.  Some are definitely better value than others.

Everything else that I would need to run it, I already have in spades - I could quite literally build several PCs just from my spare parts piles.  But some tangentially related purchases:

3) A USB3 based card reader, so that I can see if the cards are capable of more than my TrimSlice will drive them to.  I only have one PC that would be able to drive it properly, but it might have higher performance than a standard card reader even on USB2.

4) A replacement for about half my home network infrastructure, in the form of a new ADSL modem and an extra 8-port GigE switch, plus a significant amount of Cat6 cable.  This allows me to hardwire an extra computer desk instead of relying on wireless - both the modem and some of the wireless adapters were proving to be rather unreliable.

Interesting contents of my spares pile, which might get incorporated (at least temporarily) into my R-Pi setup:

5) A very small (maybe 9") monochrome CRT monitor, which has a composite input.  When I remember which box it's buried in and unearth it, the date on the electrical safety tag should be amusing.  Excellent for checking whether a given display remains readable on an old TV.

6) An IBM Model M keyboard - I have two, though one usually lives at the office.  According to their birth certificates, they are both old enough to buy alcohol.  It's even possible that I might turn one of these into a *case* for an R-Pi, especially since a faulty cable suggests that a conversion to USB would be a particularly good idea.

7) Several sealed lead-acid batteries, together with charging equipment and at least one 12V-to-USB adapter - thus making a relatively effective UPS.  Once upon a time, I used such a battery and a pair of actively-heatsinked 5V regulators to jury-rig a CD-ROM drive which I could use on a train journey - this being before laptops were readily available with built-in drives.  I only did this because the CD in question would only be available to me during that journey.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

JeremyF

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:38 pm

Monitor or TV w/ HDMI: Probably never

Monitor with DVI input: Check

HDMI to DVI-D: Need

Old CRT TV: Clearly check

Composite cable: Check

RCA (Red+white) Audio to headphone jack converter: Want, but not need

SD Card: Desperately need anyway

SD Card reader: Yes

USB Hub: Need x1000

MicroUSB cable: Check

Power supply (i.e. "powerbug/usb wall charger thing"): Check

Keyboard, Mouse: Check

3.5inch (or the likes of) LCD: Want

Ethernet cable: Check

USB WiFi dongle: Check, but unsure of compatibility

Familiarity with Debian, Fedora, and/or Live XBMC: Check

Temporary case: No

RPi: No but I'm not even close to ready so that's alright
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

grumpyoldgit

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:43 pm

HDMI to DVI from Amazon for under 2.5 squid, inc p&p. Mine arrived a couple of days ago and it looks quite well made and sturdy.

JeremyF

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:39 pm

I also forgot to mention more things I have prepared:

Portable DVD player (10" LCD) with Composite input, thus use as monitor
Car power cord for said DVD player
Car USB charger which may offer enough power for Raspberry Pi

So basically I'm almost all set for the bare minimum of a car computer. I want my Pi now.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

Vindicator

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Monitor that excepts DVI done

HDMI to dvi cable done

Power supply with Micro usb cord done

usb powered hub in monitor done

keyboard mouse etc. done

ethernet cable well over done

Sd card for device many

usb WiFi device done

Old AT keyboard converted to usb for keyboard and case Done

85K mailing list mostly full of business's waiting to capitalize on cheap Raspi's for their products       way over done

Not a chance in hell of getting one in the near future   done

wait 5 or 6 more months for Raspi     not sure

Having to switch to a beagle board to get my project finished this year possible

All good for the foundation just tend to think us hobbyist are going to get left in the dust, even at one per person it will be 3 or 4 batches (and that is only if the batch size increases) before I think I will even have a chance at one and many of these business will have every employee waiting on the website at each launch to order one to get their products going.

Remember that the production is going to have to eventually be turned to the primary goal of education devices.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

Return to “Off topic discussion”