DavidHbolton

Any interest in using a PI as a mobile games server platform?

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:53 am

This is market research for a side-project I’m working on. I’m developing a server and mobile clients to play multi-player games over WiFi through a 3B or 4B Pi. The server software would cost about $15/£12 and $1 for the game client on Android/iOS. It will come with 8-10 games including card games such as Texas Holdem, and a board game or two. All games will be single-player as well. If it takes off I’d like to licence popular board games.

There will also be an SDK for creating new games and some financial arrangements for games to be possibly sold through a “Pi bakery” i.e. app store. Games can either be included in the standard package or low cost add-ons.

I’m just trying to assess if there would be any demand for it. If you have any comments or thoughts,

mattmiller

Re: Any interest in using a PI as a mobile games server platform?

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:51 am

OT reply but there is an existing project called PiBakery so try to avoid that name

DavidHbolton

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:59 am

Ah thank you. I'll pick something else!

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:13 pm

We get threads all the time from people who are trying various mobile uses of Pis, including gaming. The real problem here is that, if you want a recent Pi to get good system performance, then you are also going to require a fairly hefty battery to run it for very long. If you want a reasonable sized battery with a run time on a given charge to be decent, you need to use one of the Pis with lower power requirements and then live with the lower CPU performance. You pays your money and you takes your pick...

hippy

Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:42 pm

DavidHbolton wrote:
I’m just trying to assess if there would be any demand for it. If you have any comments or thoughts,
No interest in it from me but I would suggest finding a 'free to start' business model to get people hooked or more inclined to pay for the full thing.

I'm more than reluctant to even try anything unless it's free and I suspect I'm not alone.

DavidHbolton

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:27 pm

Ah just to clarify. The Pi itself is the game server running server software and not itself mobile. The smartphones are the game clients communicating over WiFi via the Pi's hotspot.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:40 pm

DavidHbolton wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:27 pm
Ah just to clarify. The Pi itself is the game server running server software and not itself mobile. The smartphones are the game clients communicating over WiFi via the Pi's hotspot.
I trust you realize that the typical modern smartphone has a more powerful SoC than any Pi. (Note that this wouldn't preclude using a Pi as a server for a bunch of smartphones, but it does suggest that a smartphone might be able to do it better, depending on factors that haven't been presented.)

DavidHbolton

Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:49 am

W. H. Heydt wrote: I trust you realize that the typical modern smartphone has a more powerful SoC than any Pi. (Note that this wouldn't preclude using a Pi as a server for a bunch of smartphones, but it does suggest that a smartphone might be able to do it better, depending on factors that haven't been presented.)
Oh quite. The role of the Pi for each game is acting as a glorified scheduler, sending and routing messages between the smartphones. Most of the game logic, though not all of it is in the game clients. For instance, I have a game called Manana Banana (silly name but it'll do for now) where all players see the same nine cards organised in three rows of three cards. Each player has six unique cards which they must play on the three sets (two on each row) to form three separate poker hands.

Here's an Android screenshot. Image. You tap any card on the top row then one of the backs below to put it there. The logic for working out and displaying which poker hand each five cards make, runs on the smartphone and is shown on the right of the row. As each hand is evaluated, a message is sent to the pi which stores it. When all players have evaluated a hand, the message identifying the winner is sent to each phone and totals calcualted and displayed on each phone.
Attachments
screenshot.png
The Android client for Manana Banana
screenshot.png (142.16 KiB) Viewed 1066 times

OBVORIS

Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:27 am

DavidHbolton wrote:
This is market research for a side-project I’m working on. I’m developing a server and mobile clients to play multi-player games over WiFi through a 3B or 4B Pi. The server software would cost about $15/£12 and $1 for the game client on Android/iOS. It will come with 8-10 games including card games such as Texas Holdem, and a board game or two. All games will be single-player as well. If it takes off I’d like to licence popular board games.

There will also be an SDK for creating new games and some financial arrangements for games to be possibly sold through a “Pi bakery” i.e. app store. Games can either be included in the standard package or low cost add-ons.

No interest from me but i imagine it would take off like a rocket...
:D
Just Another Raspberry-Pi User...

Return to “Off topic discussion”