robanswe

Re: What is the best program for windows to convert nearly any file to h.264 High Profile?

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:51 pm

What is the best program for windows to convert nearly any file to h.264 High Profile? It would be great if it could convert from DVD format to. It needs to be fairly simple to use but the end result still needs to be in high quality and playable on the Raspberry Pi:)

MattHawkinsUK

Re: What is the best program for windows to convert nearly any file to h.264 High Profile?

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Try Handbrake. It is free and brilliant for converting DVD to MP4 (H.264) or MKV.

It will only read unencrypted DVD files so will need to rip those from a disc to your hard drive.

I created a video tutorial to explain the process :

How to convert DVD to MP4 with Handbrake (Quick)

My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

ReCreate

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:56 pm

I was first recommended FormatFactory by somebody who reviews a lot of software (writes articles), It's actually quite good, and Free. The UI is a bit confusing though. But i've used it many times.

kevco

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:38 pm

I will second the suggestion of Handbrake.  I've used it many times to transcode video for my iPad.

error404

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:03 pm

ReCat said:

I was first recommended FormatFactory by somebody who reviews a lot of software (writes articles), It's actually quite good, and Free. The UI is a bit confusing though. But i've used it many times.

Except that, like almost all such 'freeware' programs, it is in violation of the licenses of its component parts (libavcodec, ffmpeg, mplayer etc.). They're shipping binary executables (possibly modified) and profiting from them without providing sources or proper credit / copyright notification as required. I've no idea why C|Net and the like accept to host these files. It's blatant copyright infringement. We should demand that C|Net be shut down permanently a la MegaUpload for directly supporting commercial copyright infringement…

When something as great as Handbrake exists that actually honours the licenses, and is itself open source, I see no reason to use a solution that's ripping off the decades of hard work by the open source community.

tl;dr +1 Handbrake

Jessie

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 pm

I use handbreak or MakeMKV.

ReCreate

Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:18 am

error404 said:

ReCat said:

I was first recommended FormatFactory by somebody who reviews a lot of software (writes articles), It"s actually quite good, and Free. The UI is a bit confusing though. But i"ve used it many times.

Except that, like almost all such "freeware" programs, it is in violation of the licenses of its component parts (libavcodec, ffmpeg, mplayer etc.). They"re shipping binary executables (possibly modified) and profiting from them without providing sources or proper credit / copyright notification as required. I"ve no idea why C|Net and the like accept to host these files. It"s blatant copyright infringement. We should demand that C|Net be shut down permanently a la MegaUpload for directly supporting commercial copyright infringement…

When something as great as Handbrake exists that actually honours the licenses, and is itself open source, I see no reason to use a solution that"s ripping off the decades of hard work by the open source community.

tl;dr +1 Handbrake

Now, Now, let's not get all SOPA. xP Kidding. Though, I never noticed this before. Interesting. Also should look at handbrake. xD

crundy

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 am

I was just about to suggest Handbrake, but then I noticed that everyone else already has! So I'll just +1 it.

crundy

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:24 am

MattHawkinsUK said:

It will only read unencrypted DVD files so will need to rip those from a disc to your hard drive.

Or buy a copy of AnyDVD. Awesome program.

spamel

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:37 am

Can VLCPlayer convert also?  I seem to recall it can rip DVDs, which I didn't know until quite recently! I am a biff at this stuff, I have programs that can probably do far more then what I make it do!

ReCreate

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:09 am

VLC can. Though, I've sometimes had weird transcoding bugs when using it. Possibly because i screwed things up. It's pretty manual with VLC.

BjarkeHedegaard

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Maybe DVDvideosoft has a progrm for it. They do provide a lot of good free utilities.

Tass

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:13 pm

DVDShrink, followed by Handbrake – awesome combination!

Edited: DVDShrink can be used to simply decrypt without any "shrinking"

NucWin

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:34 pm

DVD Decrypter to get off DRM'ed DVD. Then convert with AutoGK

boarsblood

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:26 am

As paying for an h.264 license doesn't indemnify you from prosecution by patent holders (read their t&cs) I wouldn't worry too much about personal use. It's possible to pay mpeg-la for a license and still face court action for patent infringement.

Gotta love those lawyers...

(Woah!; first time that math (sic.) doesn't add to 13 (4+1=5).).

Return to “Off topic discussion”