TommyG007

Re: How many pi's do YOU own?

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:07 pm

I own four in total, though I am thinking of getting another Pi4 2GB for some RetroPi use. :D

3x Pi4 2GB
1) Runs Pi-Hole and general desktop duties.
2) Runs Home Assistant (previously called Hass.io) think of it as a master control panel for all your home's smart devices.
3) Runs OpenMediaVault, sharing a 1TB SSD across my home network.
I bought a stacking case from Amazon for them all, which I think looks pretty neat. It can stack four Pis in total (all with fans), so if I do decide to get an additional Pi4, I can just add the 4th layer to it.
Pi case1.jpg
Pi case1.jpg (240.57 KiB) Viewed 982 times

1x Pi3B+ 1GB
Runs Victron Venus OS, for monitoring energy usage in my solar shed.
This one just sits neglected in the shed, connected to wifi, hasn't skipped a beat in over two years though.
Pi shed.jpg
Pi shed.jpg (180.88 KiB) Viewed 982 times

BillStephenson

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:45 am

jamesh wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:20 pm
Not very many at all.

But I do have a Pi prototype, and Raspberry Pi serial number #000000000001, although Eben may ask for that back at some point. And a camera prototype.

Day to day Pi is a 4GB Pi4, it's never gone wrong, never had any of the others I have stashed away fail either.
That is soooo cool!!!

jbeale

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:53 am

I can't compete with JamesH's answer. But the post did make me curious so I counted up my collection. I have 40 Pi boards. Only 14 are currently online and running, the rest are mostly older models sitting in a box, but not forgotten. I frequently take one or more out to support various projects- just this past week I pulled out a 1B, 2B and 3B to do some NTP timing measurements. One 4GB Pi 4 is my general-purpose desktop; the rest are all headless, mostly 2B and 3B doing various kinds of data collection, but also a few security cameras and one is home automation (Home Assistant). I tried Kodi once, but I don't currently have any doing digital signage, media, or gaming. At least six of the currently out-of-work boards had previous employment running PiKrellCam as security cameras when I lived in a more, I suppose you might say lively neighborhood.

LTolledo

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:18 am

"....divulgence of such information requires national security clearance....." :mrgreen:

hehehe....
I do have quite a few..... with some of those setups image posted numerous times in this forum...
....and stopped counting...... :D
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

jahboater

Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:59 am

I gave away all my early Pi's to a local school years ago :(
I have countless Pi2's and Pi3's stashed away somewhere, but the Pi4 is so good that they are redundant.

On my desk now, I just have a Pi4 8GB (day to day Pi work, 64-bit OS), a Pi4 2GB (32-bit OS), and a Pi Zero (which is a both a digital clock and an ARMv6 dev platform).
Pi4 8GB running PIOS64 Lite

hansotten

Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:06 am

I have at least one of every Pi officially sold in Europe, from the first batch to the latest Pi4 1, 2, 4, 8.

Of Pi2, Pi3 and Zero's. lost count.
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

hippy

Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:27 am

It would be interesting to know how many Pi owners there are seeing as 'everyone' appears to have a handful.

Accuracy can't be obtained but, back of a napkin: 30 million sold, half to industry, 15 million Pi's for other users. Five each would mean 3 million Pi owners.

jbeale

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Seems likely the people with fewer units either aren't active on this forum at all, or may be less motivated to post in a thread like this one. The price is low enough though, that I'd expect anyone who really finds it useful would likely have more than one. Even if you use only one at any time, each upgraded model has given motivation to upgrade.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:09 pm

jbeale wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:05 pm
Seems likely the people with fewer units either aren't active on this forum at all, or may be less motivated to post in a thread like this one. The price is low enough though, that I'd expect anyone who really finds it useful would likely have more than one. Even if you use only one at any time, each upgraded model has given motivation to upgrade.
IIRC, back in the early days of the Pi, the expectation was that the typical user would own 1 to 3 Pis. The RPF was quite startled when the early adopters started showing up with 5 or 6 at a time and some people rapidly acquired 10 plus. Now we hear of industrial users that buy Pis in lots of 10K or 20K at a time. Considering that the initial expectation was that 10K could be sold the first year, with 20K as a "stretch goal" (Ha!), Pis have taken the world by storm and no one knows what the potential sales limit is. Said sales limit appears to be constrained solely by the rate at which they can be manufactured.

Heater

Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:24 pm

Minus 10. Give or take.

My Pi's own me!
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “Off topic discussion”