davidcoton

Re: Tongue so far into cheek...

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:30 pm

Heater wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:09 am
... Then nobody could tell which one is the machine and the machine passes the Turing Test.

I win :)
My newest protein-folding computer could be called Heater, based on its thermal properties. Again, Heater wins.
Actually it’s called Wowbagger, and is clearly not human.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

Heater

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:37 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:30 pm
My newest protein-folding computer could be called Heater, based on its thermal properties. Again, Heater wins.
Actually it’s called Wowbagger, and is clearly not human.
If I was human I might understand what you said there. Although most likely not.

My sideways point in my post was that when humans pursue these arguments about humans, machines, intelligence, etc for long enough they start to doubt if they are anything other than a mechanical device themselves, following the laws of physics as much as any mechanical computer.

Many of them resist that notion. Based on some hand waving, unverifiable, arguments about how qualitatively different their intelligence is from any algorithm. Their mysterious consciousness or Free Will. Or whatever non-sense they imagine outside the laws of physics.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

pidd

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:58 pm

I've always considered that we are purely a chemical engine, something like the Conway's Game of Life except on a much greater scale.

Another complicated question is whether we are individuals, we are entirely reactionary and totally dependent upon things outside ourselves - so really we all act as one, it just depends on where the viewpoint is. That really complicates the AI concept because clearly it is automatically part of the "one" and we are trying to force a new role within the "one", is this artificial or is it natural progression?

My last post on this, thanks to the mods and contributors and apologies for soap-boxing one of my pet topics.

Gavinmc42

Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:32 am

Another complicated question is whether we are individuals, we are entirely reactionary and totally dependent upon things outside ourselves - so really we all act as one, it just depends on where the viewpoint is. That really complicates the AI concept because clearly it is automatically part of the "one" and we are trying to force a new role within the "one", is this artificial or is it natural progression?
Humans are not programmable?
Probably 98% are?

Will we be able to make AI's once we understand how we work?
General purpose AI?
So far away we might even have Fusion by then?

Current technology I don't think can do AI in a useful for everyone's level.
Too energy inefficient?

Big fan of Brooks and Tilden, emergent behavior from simple circuits and algorithms.
Current NN system need to be trained, once they self train things will emerge.
Starting to see that in the Go AI.

Low cost, low power self training chips?
How are humans programmed?
I can see humans worshiping an AI prophet.
We are nearly there now.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Off topic discussion”