ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Only in New York

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:20 pm

[just emailed this to a few people but thought everyone might like a bit of a laugh ]

i had to go to the launderette today and is my normal process I read my nook outside on a bench while the clothes are washing and drying. (if i actually stayed in the launderette i'd be serving multiple life sentences for murder as the people in there are so aggravating but that's another story)

Everything was normal while the clothes were washing so I put them in the drier and went back outside to read while the clothes were on their 40minute dry cycle.

so there i am minding my own business when i hear someone calling "sweetie, excuse me sweetie" so against my better judgement i look up and a woman comes up to me with a dollar billing her hand and says "excuse me but do you have a dollars change? 4 quarters?"

so i put my hand in my pocket and say "yes" and start to take them out and she says "oh great, thank you oh i don't mean i'll give you a dollar for them i just want you to give me a dollar!"

nichobb

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:40 pm

what was your response? don"t know if mine would have ended in "OFF" or a laugh and giving the 4 x ¼

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:47 pm

i spit coffee all over my nook (thank goodness for waterproof nook cases) and went into the launderette where i peed myself laughing. I was in a cheerful mood today rather than my normal grumpy laundry day self as i am currently on some great painkilling patches and hadn't had to fight for machines in the launderette like I normally have to

Andre_P

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:39 pm

My experiences of New Yorkers is sadly limited to just 2 days exposure WAYYYYYY back in 2000.

My experiences however were positive and on a couple of occasions thought provoking.

While lost in the WTC wondering how to get to the bar at the top I took an escalator.

Seeing someone who was part of the Maintenance crew on opposite side heading towards me I thought I'd compress my question.

"How do I get to the top?"

"By working hard son !"

we both grinned at that. I sincerely hope he made it.

Benedict White

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:17 am

Reminds me of the tourist around Whitehall asking a police man which side the Foreign Office is on.

Good question... Good question.

Return to “Off topic discussion”