prodata
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:53 pm
Contact: Website

Animal question

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:28 pm

OK, a spot of semi-lockdown fun:

If the Raspberry Pi were an animal, which animal would it be? (Bonus points if you can say why!)

A starter: Perhaps a chameleon - because it can turn up in so many guises - functions, case shapes etc etc.

DarkElvenAngel
Posts: 925
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Re: Animal question

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:47 pm

Does Pokemon classify as an animal?because for some reason I have to get them all!

OBVORIS
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:23 am

Re: Animal question

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:53 pm

Hello,

I think if the raspberry-pi were an animal it would be a dog. (Because its so easy to train.)


:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Just Another Raspberry-Pi User...

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 12945
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Animal question

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:57 pm

It's the elephant in the room that all other SBC makers are trying to ignore.

OBVORIS
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:23 am

Re: Animal question

Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:35 pm

DarkElvenAngel wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:47 pm
Does Pokemon classify as an animal?because for some reason I have to get them all!
I’m not sure a Pokémon would classify as an animal...
I don’t think it would.
Just Another Raspberry-Pi User...

DarkElvenAngel
Posts: 925
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Re: Animal question

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:04 pm

OBVORIS wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:35 pm
DarkElvenAngel wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:47 pm
Does Pokemon classify as an animal?because for some reason I have to get them all!
I’m not sure a Pokémon would classify as an animal...
I don’t think it would.
This link seems to suggest that they could be animals. And the OP didn't say they have to non-functional animals.
Last edited by DarkElvenAngel on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lpsw
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: Animal question

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:05 pm

Certainly NOT a pink pony. Nor a unicorn :)
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

thatchunkylad198966
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:21 am
Location: UK, Birmingham

Re: Animal question

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:05 am

A tiger because this RPi4 is a beast. :mrgreen:
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

OBVORIS
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:23 am

Re: Animal question

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:44 am

DarkElvenAngel wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:04 pm
OBVORIS wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:35 pm
DarkElvenAngel wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:47 pm
Does Pokemon classify as an animal?because for some reason I have to get them all!
I’m not sure a Pokémon would classify as an animal...
I don’t think it would.
This link seems to suggest that they could be animals. And the OP didn't say they have to non-functional animals.

I do see your point and i have never played a pokemon game myself.
I guess a pokemon could technically be classified as an animal.
:D :D :D
Just Another Raspberry-Pi User...

User avatar
Hackswell
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 11:33 pm

Re: Animal question

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:31 pm

lpsw wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:05 pm
Certainly NOT a pink pony. Nor a unicorn :)
What about an Angry Pink Unicorn??

Image

ejolson
Posts: 5582
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Animal question

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:07 pm

Maybe a rabbit:

Image
https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/6047 ... rabbit-pet

This one even has hardware attached on top (a HAT). More pictures are at the link.

Heater
Posts: 16293
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Animal question

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:21 am

I think I'm going to throw up.

Have people no respect for animals?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 6326
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: Animal question

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:10 am

prodata wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:28 pm
If the Raspberry Pi were an animal, ...
Why are we limited to the Animal Kingdom? There're far more interesting things elsewhere!

There's the bacteria, of course, and viruses, but they're not really very interesting unless you catch one.

We could ignore the Plant Kingdom - sitting there doing not very much except feeding the rest of us, they're just boring.

But the Kingdom most people ignore is the the one that fungi and yeasts belong to, and here is where it gets interesting.

We're all happy to just go down to the supermarket and get some mushrooms to fry, but what about the people we should be trying to emulate - the "get your hands dirty" types, the tinkerers. The ones who brew the Artisan ales.

Brewer's yeast. That's what the Pi is.

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 5127
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Animal question

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:48 am

prodata wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:28 pm
If the Raspberry Pi were an animal,
If "animal" includes Human:
A Boy with a Life.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

entered
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:20 am

Re: Animal question

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:09 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:48 am
prodata wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:28 pm
If the Raspberry Pi were an animal,
If "animal" includes Human:
A Boy with a Life.
The Life of Pi?

Heater
Posts: 16293
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Animal question

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:02 pm

Burngate wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:10 am
But the Kingdom most people ignore is the the one that fungi and yeasts belong to, and here is where it gets interesting.
I once meant a girl who would not eat mushrooms.

Thinking this was weird I had to ask. Apparently it was because fungi were more likely to be sentient beings than her normal vegan diet.

Thing is the Pi have mutated rapidly over a few years to better spread around and they have spread globally very fast. It seems the R0 of the Pi is greater than 1 given their exponential growth rate.

They also cannot reproduce without a human host.

So Pi as a virus it is.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

George441
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:13 pm
Location: 571 Willow Oak Dr 36695, Mobile, AL, US
Contact: Website

Re: Animal question

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:56 am

Porcupine
190507_lion_vs_full-1440x855.jpg
190507_lion_vs_full-1440x855.jpg (210.65 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
*************************************************************************
"Save a Tree - Save The Environment - Save Your Life "
=========================================================

Memotech Bill
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:23 am

Re: Animal question

Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:57 am

Heater wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:02 pm
So Pi as a virus it is.
A mind-altering virus that increases the likelihood of infection by subsequent strains.

Mk1 B -> A -> B+ -> 2B -> Zero -> 4B -> ZeroW

OBVORIS
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:23 am

Re: Animal question

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:51 am

ejolson wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:07 pm
Maybe a rabbit:

Image
https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/6047 ... rabbit-pet

This one even has hardware attached on top (a HAT). More pictures are at the link.
THAT IS.......

HILARIOS
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just Another Raspberry-Pi User...

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 5127
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Animal question

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:57 am

OBVORIS wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:51 am


THAT IS.......

HILARIOS
HILARIOS -- is that yet another operating system? Maybe written by a rabbit called Hilary?
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

OBVORIS
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:23 am

Re: Animal question

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:40 pm

OBVORIS wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:51 am
ejolson wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:07 pm
Maybe a rabbit:

Image
https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/6047 ... rabbit-pet

This one even has hardware attached on top (a HAT). More pictures are at the link.
THAT IS.......

HILARIOS
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HILARIOS as in very funny. not an operating system.
:ugeek: :ugeek: :geek:
Just Another Raspberry-Pi User...

ejolson
Posts: 5582
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Animal question

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:12 pm

OBVORIS wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:40 pm
OBVORIS wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:51 am
ejolson wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:07 pm
Maybe a rabbit:

Image
https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/6047 ... rabbit-pet

This one even has hardware attached on top (a HAT). More pictures are at the link.
THAT IS.......

HILARIOS
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HILARIOS as in very funny. not an operating system.
:ugeek: :ugeek: :geek:
From what I understand, that's a genuine raspberry hat.

Return to “Off topic discussion”