I'm wiping you off,

and changing to Mint.
Luny

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Ubuntu Unity

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:13 pm

I've been using Unity for over a year. I like it. Few bits that need improvement, but on the whole nothing much wrong with it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Luny

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Interesting, I have heard other people say the same. These things are always subjective. For some reason I'm finding it awkward to use. Some of the software doesn't really get on with the 'menu at the top' layout. Evolution sometimes appears a line lower than it really is, confusing the mouse highlighting. I don't like the fact that that 'places' uses the same window instead of popping up a new. Visually it is very nice and has some great shortcuts, but maybe I'm just a stick in the mud
Luny

johnbeetem

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:23 am

I've been using Unity since last November.  I disliked it at first, but I've gotten used to it.  I figure that if my software is ever going to be useful to the masses, I'd better use "GNU/Linux for the masses" myself to be familiar with its quirks.

I never much liked the menu bar at the top of the screen.  It's fine on the original tiny Macintosh screen, but as screens got large it's a long way to move the mouse.  Personally, I like having my menus and scroll bars appear automatically when the mouse lingers at the edge of a window so that the window is not cluttered with instruments when I don't need them.

I'm terrified of the new "Head-Up Display" (HUD) UI that's threatened for Ubuntu 12.  They speak of hot-key searches and speech wreck-a-nishun instead of good old mouse and menus.  Hey, the whole point of a "menu" is when you don't know what the software has to offer and you'd like to see a list for each category.  Then you can use the keyboard shortcuts suggested by the menu.

I have a nasty feeling that Luny will need to write more poetry

grumpyoldgit

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:41 am

I recently updated to Ubuntu 11.10 and really don't like Unity at all. I came to Ubuntu from windows about three years ago and found it simple to use and very intuitive, while Unity is a real pain. The great big icons iritated me, I couldn't find anything and when I could it seemed to need lots of key presses to get there. My kit is quite old and it seemed to me that the "improvement" had slowed everything down.

While persevering, I set up a headless box with 11.10 that would only be accessed remotely from the first. The big fat tool bar would not pop up within the screen and I would spend ages running the mouse up and down the left margin shouting and swearing for it to appear. In sheer frustration I did a quick google and found many fellow sufferers, hence the easily found instructions on how to convert to Gnome classic. Within half an hour sanity was restored.

digital_addict

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:59 am

I prefer workspaces to applications, so I've transferred to Mint 12. I've also added cinnamon so I can have my menu bar at the top of the screen, the bottom or both. I have mine at the bottom and it also auto hides, giving me full screen. Ideal if you have 16:9. Move the cursor to the bottom of the screen and I get my menu bar back. I also get to keep the full score of Ubuntu programs. On top of that, I have a desktop that looks and performs like a gnome 2 but under gnome3.

Chromatix

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:16 am

I liked the Maximus interface in, what was it, 9.04?  I was so pleased with it on my EeePC that I installed Ubuntu Netbook on some desktops too.  It was very efficient with space - the only thing that could have improved it further was to rescale those pesky windows which refuse to resize themselves to fit on a small screen.

In every version since then, Ubuntu has gone in the polar opposite direction - towards big Fisher Price buttons and weird launcher concepts that simply don't work well.  Some people seem to like Unity, but just as many hate it with a passion.

Mint 12 is an excellent antidote to that lunacy, even in it's default configuration.  It's a perfectly conventional desktop which I can find my way around in easily and quickly.

Neither Ubuntu nor Mint are good solutions for a small-memory computer though.  I'm still looking for the perfect solution for this old Thinkpad that I pulled out of the office scrap pile.  It only has 256MB RAM.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

digital_addict

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:25 am

Chromatix said:

Neither Ubuntu nor Mint are good solutions for a small-memory computer though.  I'm still looking for the perfect solution for this old Thinkpad that I pulled out of the office scrap pile.  It only has 256MB RAM.

It's doubtful that gnome or kde will ever run on an R-Pi, but there is talk of “Puppy Linux” being ported. It would run on your Thinkpad with its eyes shut.

Luny

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:02 am

John Beetem said:

I have a nasty feeling that Luny will need to write more poetry

I've been following that, and you're not wrong. It sounds.... Odd! And it would justify more poetry (if you can call it that ).
Luny

bredman

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:17 am

I upgraded my wife to Unity and she loves it.

Unity annoys me no end, especially the application switcher.

So I have ended up with a happy wife and an annoying computer. Much better than the other way round.

gimliflea

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:45 am

Ubuntu  + Lxde claims to run with 256MB ram and runs well with 512MB. Other distros are probably thinner than ubuntu and can also run Lxde.

alexandru.cucu

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:47 am

Am I the only one that really likes Unity?

At first, it was a bit confusing but now I can't go back to the old way of doing things.

Unity 3D is a bit slow because of my graphics card, but Unity 2D is really fast.

The only thing I don't like about Unity is the lack of customization options. We should see more of this in Ubuntu 12.04 so I can't wait

I like the icons on the launcher a bit smaller and some lens could have been much cleaner. For example I hate the application lens because it keeps recommending me apps for download. If I wanted that I would go to the USC.

Also, the files lens will show up every damn file I open. I'm using temporary files all the time so it's full of garbage Some option to exclude some folders would be nice. It is possible by installing some configuration software for Zeitgeist, but it need some application to be there by default.

Thing start to move in the right way for Unity.

Cinnamon is really unstable and as slow as Unity 3D.

Unity 2D is the default for Ubuntu ARM builds.
https://launchpad.net/~alexandru.cucu

nichobb

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:52 pm

bredman:

I upgraded my wife to Unity and she loves it.

What OS was your wife before? I was thinking of upgrading to a newer blond OS with fewer revision numbers and some more experimental features. However, recycling laws mean upgrades cost a fortune when trading in.

(and she"d slice my nuts off)

grumpyoldgit

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:06 pm

You may find that upgrading wife increases resource issues and creates conflicts with girlfriend 1.0

n3tw0rk5

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:46 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

You may find that upgrading wife increases resource issues and creates conflicts with girlfriend 1.0

And never cluster them, it just leads to twice as much trouble, with a very limited chance of failover!

Return to “Off topic discussion”