PhatFil

Re: Call for help: looking to start a company - solar powered computer

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:39 am

Not a crazy idea just a VERY AMBITIOUS one.
At least a decade of development probably more..

With an amateur radio (CB) you buy the radio once and that's it. In some areas you need to pay a license fee but it's nowhere as expensive as a cell phone subscription.

The idea is to make an amateur radio that sends and receives text messages... might use less bandwith that voice! Might be possible to work only on solar power.. worldwide.
you omitted that in your OP I assumed as you described an alternative to an ipad you intended to use similar coms tech and infrastructure, my bad.

for a broadcast network model you may also want to check out the aloha network
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALOHAnet as well as lora for ideas,,
(fwiw i researched aloha before the www the old fashioned way)
- ahhhh nostalgia ;)

perhaps a otg/usb RF plug in and supporting sw could be a short term target to exploit the use of old phones as i/o devices??

sorry but you cant shake me of the conviction that reusing an existing device even only partially is 1000% greener than manufacturing something completely brand new.

And while money may not be your prime motivator you are living in a world where it is a prime motivator for many and if you can exploit that to your and your target clienteles advantage, isnt that a good thing?

btw who pays a monthly phone sub??? use wifi hotspots and a 2g pay as u go sim card ;) you just need a 2g phone to set up the sim card initially (here in the uk at least) ..

W. H. Heydt

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:54 am

PhatFil wrote:
btw who pays a monthly phone sub???
A land line (aka POTS line) works in many kinds of disasters when the cell towers all fail because they have no external power and the batteries go flat after about 8 hours.

So...I pay a monthly phone "sub". (I live in earthquake country...what kinds of disasters strike where you live?)

PhatFil

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:15 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:54 am
PhatFil wrote:
btw who pays a monthly phone sub???
A land line (aka POTS line) works in many kinds of disasters when the cell towers all fail because they have no external power and the batteries go flat after about 8 hours.

So...I pay a monthly phone "sub". (I live in earthquake country...what kinds of disasters strike where you live?)
while i agree and was only referring to mobile subs we don't have any of that new world malarky going on round here

other than the current health scare and the closing of Morrells brewery, last disaster to hit this town was in 1355
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Scholastica_Day_riot
bloody stoodents..
it was a big deal to get disowned by the spaghetti monster back then..

:evil:

edit .. do winds that blow down old fences count?

PhatFil

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:25 am

and it rains a lot?

portis

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:55 pm

PhatFil wrote:
Not a crazy idea just a VERY AMBITIOUS one.
At least a decade of development probably more..

sorry but you cant shake me of the conviction that reusing an existing device even only partially is 1000% greener than manufacturing something completely brand new.
You're totally right about that. Problem? The battery. It's not always easy to find a battery for some older phones, and the ones they already have can provide only minutes of usage in some cases. I have a wifi palm machine but the battery dies after minutes of wifi usage. And battery replacements are hard to find.

Which is why my project stated the device should be built to work mostly on solar. IF batteries needed (for exemple for nightime usage in case another source of light is not available - my solar powered calculator works on solar at night under a light source - will use battery if light closed) it should be easily replaceable. The device should be made to work for a lifetime.

Gavinmc42

Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:55 am

Depends on the battery technology.

Phone batteries last until the next model which is 6 months ;)
Some chemistries will last 100 years+, Nickel Iron.
Lithium Titanite is good for 20years 20,000 cycles.
Lead based ones might last a few-5 years but are about 98% recycled.

Super capacitors are in the millions of cycles.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Imperf3kt

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:51 pm

I've owned several phones over the last two decades and on all of them, the battery gave out after a few years in storage.
But, it's not hard to replace at all, simply find the battery specs (usually on the battery or the phone specs from the manufacturer) and replace with any existing technology that suits.
Many (but not all) would even work without the battery as long as the charger was connected.

You'll probably find that 99% of smartphone from the last decade use lithium ion or lithium Polymer batteries. Quite easily found or ordered in any shape/size you need.

Certainly much more feasible than inventing an entire product.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Return to “Off topic discussion”