windswept321

Launching a Pi based product...

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:45 pm

I have a unique hardware/software based product intended for business / industrial applications. It’s cheap and straightforward to manufacture, being Pi based.

It’s feature complete and I would say ready to sell.

I’m a one-man-band, with more of an R&D background and I want to take this thing to market in some way.

No market research completed, no website and no business plan for this one as yet - I initially developed this for my own use then realised it’s a lot more unique and useful than I thought.

I can build a sales website in a couple of days and a business plan in a few but don’t really know where to go from here - how to price (one-off plus optional service plan?), or basically, how to take it to market.

I’ve bootstrapped to date, no investment and with low funds.

Can anyone give me some advice on how I could take this new invention to market?

Also, if anyone is interested in getting involved in some capacity, feel free to let me know.

Heater

Re: Launching a Pi based product...

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/

Really, without some details of your product nobody can advise as to how to market it.

Of course if you tell us, we might just do it for ourselves:)
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

PhatFil

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:40 pm

Good luck.

It might be easiest to release the project under an open source license free for any one to replicate and open an ebay or amazon store to sell required components and kit bundles.

Perhaps hold back a couple of enhanced features hinting on development opportunities Then if it becomes popular you could gain the interest of someone with the budget to Develop the s/w within a commercial frame or pay the fees to use open source s/w commercially.

Imperf3kt

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:19 pm

Sell it as a kit on kickstarter.

As I understand it, selling a kit of components and instructions on how to assemble is fine, but selling a finished product requires compliance certificates and regulations testing, warranty compliance and many other things all of which costs a boatload of money.

You might also be liable for any unknown patent infringements with a finished product.

Alternatively, approach a production company who could make it and sell it for you and pay you royalties.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Return to “Off topic discussion”