DougieLawson

Re: My kid is using a Raspberry Pi - should I call the police???

Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:14 pm

plugwash wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:47 pm
If you found lockpicks and bolt cutters in your kids bedroom would you be concerned?

Tools can be used for both constructive and destructive purposes but some tools edge more towards one side of that line than the other.
I wouldn't have had any concerns at that, mechanics is a STEM subject. Lock picking is an engineering skill.

Learning to pick locks doesn't infer that you're going to commit a crime, you may be working on your career options. In just the same way that installing Kali Linux doesn't infer that you will be a black hat bad actor emulating Matthew Broderick's character in my favourite computer based movie. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/reference

There's a lot to learn about the intricacies of lock cores and the tools needed to pick them. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6r ... igLoZOh6FQ is a good starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANsipsS7IK8 shows that picking the lock may not be needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4lVylO7y5U shows a small knowledge of electronics can help security.

The most amusing thing is WM Police having discord on their list. Do you know of any hard-core 13+ gamer that doesn't use discord?

That WM Police item also goes to show that too many folks (especially folks in power) are too stupid about how computers and the internet work, starting at Boris and his cabinet and working down. Perhaps the clever folks at GCHQ should be offering "Computers and the Internet 101" for politicians and their ilk to help them avoid continuing to look like a proper bunch of plonkers.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

hippy

Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:08 pm

Heater wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:04 pm
plugwash wrote:
If you found lockpicks and bolt cutters in your kids bedroom would you be concerned?

Tools can be used for both constructive and destructive purposes but some tools edge more towards one side of that line than the other.
What, you did not have bolt cutters in the house when you were a teenager? I did. And all manner of other interesting tools. Admittedly no lock picks.
Bolt cutters in the house and no lock picks is very different to "lock picks and bolt cutters in your kids bedroom".

If either were found in a kid's bedroom I would think it entirely appropriate to wonder what they were doing with them, ask why they have them.

Similarly for WiFi Pineapple and metasploit; both things most people would not normally have which would raise legitimate questions about why they did have them.

Burngate

Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:12 pm

plugwash wrote:

DougieLawson wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:14 pm
Lock picking is an engineering skill.
Not quite a teenager at the time, but I learned pretty quickly to have lockpicks available for emergencies.
Particularly when I'd started the car, then got out to shut the garage door, only to find I'd managed to lock the car. And the only spare key to the car was in the Garage, the spare key to the garage was in the house, and the only key to the house was locked in the car. And I was late for work.

Heater

Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:25 pm

hippy wrote:
Bolt cutters in the house and no lock picks is very different to "lock picks and bolt cutters in your kids bedroom".

If either were found in a kid's bedroom I would think it entirely appropriate to wonder what they were doing with them, ask why they have them.
I don't know about "very different". It's a matter of degree and context. For sure I had such tools in my bedroom as a teenager, my mother would never allow such junk to clutter the house!

Sure if you find your teenager has stashed a holdall under the bed with bolt cutters, crowbar, torch and balaclava and you are wondering why he has been out late at night that might be cause for concern.

But if you know your children and everything is in the open why would that raise an alarm?
hippy wrote:
Similarly for WiFi Pineapple and metasploit; both things most people would not normally have which would raise legitimate questions about why they did have them.
Both Pineapple and metasploit are valuable tools in ensuring one own security. Tools of the trade in fact for anyone build networked things.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

hippy

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:11 am

plugwash wrote:
Heater wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:04 pm
What, you did not have bolt cutters in the house when you were a teenager? I did. And all manner of other interesting tools. Admittedly no lock picks.
hippy wrote:
Heater wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:25 pm
Sure if you find your teenager has stashed a holdall under the bed with bolt cutters, crowbar, torch and balaclava and you are wondering why he has been out late at night that might be cause for concern.
I have no desire to participate in a game of 'moving goalposts'.

tpyo kingg

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:24 am

Are the posters available for purchase or a quality PDF available for download and printing locally? :)

davidcoton

Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:49 am

hippy wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:11 am
I have no desire to participate in a game of 'moving goalposts'.
Whose kids moved the goalposts? Was a Raspberry Pi involved? :lol:
Signature retired

incognitum

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:41 pm

Tzarls wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:04 am
"This poster was produced to raise awareness among teachers, parents, and guardians
Back at high school I managed to get my user account suspended for the crime of starting a Windows command prompt.
Guess not much changed over the years. People still afraid of what kids MAY do with any tool that is not on the curriculum...

ejolson

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:11 pm

incognitum wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:41 pm
Tzarls wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:04 am
"This poster was produced to raise awareness among teachers, parents, and guardians
Back at high school I managed to get my user account suspended for the crime of starting a Windows command prompt.
Guess not much changed over the years. People still afraid of what kids MAY do with any tool that is not on the curriculum...
Here we run a course on cyber security and further fund a surprisingly active club with invited speakers as well as hands-on events. One semester I taught numerical analysis in the same lab used for the cyber-security course. Fortunately, my class booted Linux over the network and the security class was not about advanced persistence threats. Even with multiple computers connected through KVM switches, however, there was a surprising amount of crawling under tables to connect keyboards, video, mice and Ethernet before class.

Return to “Off topic discussion”