Paul Webster

Re: BBC Radio 4 You and Yours Feature

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:38 pm

Raspberry Pi about to feature on You and Yours on R4

MINKIN2

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:02 pm

can you give any live links to this? I am looking for it atm

Sorry, found it. It was an FM only transmission but could not post a reply thanks to the database error :/

Paul Webster

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:58 pm

It was about 40 minutes in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01b1ljy

Eben explained that performance is like an 8 or 9 year old PC - and didn't contradict the opening comment that it officially launches next week ... but then he didn't contradict the statement that Internet is also a British invention

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:01 pm

It was recorded a few weeks ago, and we weren't told when it was going to be broadcast, so please ignore any "clues" about release dates!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

MattHawkinsUK

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Just listening to it now on their website :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qps9

Total duration is 54:15. Skip to 41:45 for the Raspberry PI.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Paul Webster said:

Eben explained that performance is like an 8 or 9 year old PC - and didn't contradict the opening comment that it officially launches next week ... but then he didn't contradict the statement that Internet is also a British invention

Tim Berners-Lee is British......
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Total duration of the segment is about 3:34.

If you've got Audacity or similar, its easy to play the programme from the BBC 4 link, record it and cut it out to archive.  Oh, the old days of bouncing stuff from cassette to cassette.....

As he was recorded weeks ago, Eben probably didn't even hear the lead in to his segment, so it would be impossible to contradict any of it!  You must also remember that large swathes of the BBC can't distinguish between the "Internet" and "The World Wide Web".

11+12  Gosh!  Bigger sums!!!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Paul Webster said:

if you go back far enough the packet switching technology that (D)ARPANET was based on came from RAL without which we'd never have had JANET, IPSS, (D)ARPANET and thus the Internet.

AND of course Berners-Lee is a brit

Andre_P

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:19 pm

If we are going to get picky then using ukscone's argument with respect to packet switching the Internet is therefore

Roll Drums

WELSH !

Donald Davies ( 1924-2000), born in Treorchy Rhondda (that makes him more Welsh than me !), was working at the NPL when came up with Packet Switching.

And guess what, I got this information from that wonderful thing called a BOOK, isn't that amazing, a data source that uses photons to deliver the information .

Andre_P

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Oh just did some further reading, apparently Donald Davies worked alongside Alan Turing. Not completely clear if that was at Bletchley.

Hugh Reynolds

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:42 pm

The Internet and the world wide web are diferent things.

The Internet stems from a USA DARPA project.

The WWW stems form Tim Berners-Lee's project at CERN Switzerland.

All good things stem from Wales. (Except Lava Bread which stems from Tartarus)

liz

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Laverbread is blimmin' lovely. You just need to cook it properly - bacon fat to fry in is a must. My recipe's here.

Hugh Reynolds

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:57 pm

liz said:

Laverbread is blimmin' lovely. You just need to cook it properly - bacon fat to fry in is a must. My recipe's here.

Barely edible but that was with lamb sausages with Bampy 40+ years ago.  Perhaps I should try it again. :=(

Hugh Reynolds

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:06 pm

FatBuzz said:

liz said:

Laverbread is blimmin" lovely. You just need to cook it properly - bacon fat to fry in is a must. My recipe"s here.

Barely edible but that was with lamb sausages with Bampy 40+ years ago.  Perhaps I should try it again. :=(

Liz, it's only laverbread if your a soft English southerner.  Stick to Lava Bread.  Correct spelling.  Two words.  )  For the sweet tooth in your house try a good Bara Brith...one more like bread than cake is my delight...I think the difference is yeast and Black Mountain honey.

Perhaps the blanched base of some baby leeks would replace the shallots?

Lynbarn

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:07 pm

liz said:

Mmmm ... I like laverbread too. I might try that recipe!

Er ... You haven't got a recipe for "Lardy Cake" have you? I know it's very bad for me, but I remember it from when I was a kid (in Wiltshire, I think - not sure if was a regional delicacy) and although I've seen them in shops since, they never taste as good!

10+6 - I can't believe I got that wrong!

liz

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:07 pm

But I *am* a soft southerner. And it's what Parsons call it, too.

TheEponymousBob

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:14 pm

Liz said:
Laverbread is blimmin" lovely. You just need to cook it properly - bacon fat to fry in is a must. My recipe"s here.

Is there anything bacon doesn"t improve? I"m still campaigning to have "Bacon Yield Potential" as a standard heading for our business case documents.

As for unhealthy bread products, my vote goes for the Aberdonian buttery. Bring your own heart medication.

Hugh Reynolds

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:17 pm

liz said:

But I *am* a soft southerner. And it's what Parsons call it, too.

I'm truely shocked...(by Parsons)...!  I bet if they made Welsh cakes their recipe wouldn't use lard either...

TheEponymousBob

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:21 pm

Also, obscure bread-related fact for the day: Chambers dictionary defines the noun "paneity" as "The state of being bread". One of my favourite words.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Andre_P said:

If we are going to get picky then using ukscone's argument with respect to packet switching the Internet is therefore

Roll Drums

WELSH !

Donald Davies ( 1924-2000), born in Treorchy Rhondda (that makes him more Welsh than me !), was working at the NPL when came up with Packet Switching.

And guess what, I got this information from that wonderful thing called a BOOK, isn't that amazing, a data source that uses photons to deliver the information .

I have no problem with that as I am half welsh (mother's side all taffy's and my grandmother's family didn't speak english)

One of my favourite computer books, worn out about 6 copies over the years is the D. Davies and W. Price: Security for Computer Networks followed by W. Price, D. Barber, C. Solomonides: Computer Networks and Their Protocols

liz

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:38 pm

You guys do know that Eben is, strictly speaking, Welsh, don't you? He was born in Wales to a Welsh mother (and a Brummie father, but we sweep that under the rug).

scep

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:23 am

The only reason laverbread (one single, anglicised word thanks very much ) is edible is that it is has all of the slime boiled out of it and then is cooked with bacon.

Let's face it: if you took a disposable nappy, boiled it for 24 hours and then fried it with bacon (and maybe some cockles) then it would taste OK. No good mind, just OK. It would also have the same consistency and mouth feel as laverbread.

Wales has world class food: lamb, beef, fish, seafood, cheeses, hams etc . There is no need to pretend that laverbread is a delicacy. Repeat after me: it's not your fault, it's not your fault, it's not your fault 

[disclaimer: I'm half-Welsh; my son was born there; I once had a fight in Bridgend with some Valley Boys etc etc . ]

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:57 am

I like laverbread but then again I eat lots of weird things, haggis, blackpudding, my wife's cooking (not too often though because thankfully she only enters the kitchen every couple of years or so)

I was watching a series recently (thank you internet) with ade edmondson going around britain and looking at local food, drink and crafts (much better programme than it should have been in theory) and one of the episodes in wales he made something that looked really nice. basically just onions, leeks, mussels and bacon. i like onions, i like leeks, not too sure about mussels as i am always wary of shellfish but with the addition of bacon who cares if you die of shell fish poisoning there was bacon in it mmmMMMMMMmmmm bacon

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:55 am

ukscone said:

… not too sure about mussels as i am always wary of shellfish but with the addition of bacon who cares if you die of shell fish poisoning there was bacon in it mmmMMMMMMmmmm bacon

I've always taken the view that you can never trust a bottom feeder, no matter where you encounter them, and anything you have to boil the hell out of to render them "edible" is a worry too.  As for the ones you eat "alive". Or when they have as many legs and tentacles as you might find in the deepest recesses of HP Lovecrafts mind….

*gag*

Mind you, bacon is just as bad.  Consider how like us the pig really is, physiologically its too close to home.  Dental schools, for example used to have what was called "The Pigs Head Course" (not course as in something to eat, but there's another digression), where students practiced drilling, filling and extraction because the dentition has similar properties to human dentition.  And a dead pigs head doesn't complain when you drill down into the pulp cavity……

Oh well, I still like bacon, ham, pork, blackpudding……

Oh and as for Wales *glances across the border* 'nuff said...
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Hugh Reynolds

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:58 am

liz said:

You guys do know that Eben is, strictly speaking, Welsh, don't you? He was born in Wales to a Welsh mother (and a Brummie father, but we sweep that under the rug).

Like I said..."All good things..."

Bora da

Return to “Off topic discussion”