W. H. Heydt

For those wanting a portable Pi...

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 am

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/01/1 ... _2_review/

Apparently (if I'm reading it right) the intended use of the Nexdock 2 is to be used with a smart phone, but the reviewer started out with a Pi4B.

Imperf3kt

Re: For those wanting a portable Pi...

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:13 am

What exactly is it, a laptop like device you can control an externally attached Pi or smartphone from?

It's quite the heavy beast too, at almost 1.5KG

The price tag is a bit high for what's on offer as well. As mentioned in the linked article, you xan get a second hand netbook with more power at a lower weight and cost.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:39 am

So far as I can tell, it's a screen, a keyboard, a touchpad and a battery. The weight is probably in the battery and making the shell reasonably robust. I believe the intent is to have a way to turn a smart phone into a sort of laptop, since modern smart phone SoCs are pretty powerful, but the screens are smaller than one might want to do serious work on and a keyboard is far easier to use.

Whether or not there is an actual market at their price....I dunno. For the *concept* there probably is. Look at all the lapdocks that got turned into sort of laptops using Pis. That was considered reasonable because they were sold surplus and cheap.

buja

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:13 am

I have one (as already mentioned here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=236386).

I use it with a Raspberry Pi and this works very well (2B, 3B). Compared to a VNC connection the image is much better (no scaling issues).
You could say the Nexdock is the modern terminal: no CPU, you must connect it to a computer or a smartphone (that supports an external desktop, not every phone does that).

cspan

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:22 pm

As with many things, I guess its utility depends on your use case. If you need access to the Pi i/o pins, and need to be away from a power outlet at the same time, I suppose something like this is necessary.

For a portable Pi without use of i/o pins, I have a couple options. If I'm in a hotel, say, I can just plug the Pi into the TV along with a keyboard and mouse. If I have to be away from a power outlet, and/or away from something I could use as a monitor, using an old laptop with RPD x86 on it gives me a Pi-like desktop environment in which to work (I recognize that such is not truly a Pi).

Return to “Off topic discussion”