Andyroo

Pi graphics board - needs a microscope

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:23 am

I’ve just stumbled over this post https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wa ... ing-on-it/

Though I am amazed at how far he has progressed (way beyond anything I could dream about doing) I have to wonder why?

:lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

hippy

Re: Pi graphics board - needs a microscope

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:51 am

Andyroo wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:23 am
I have to wonder why?
I would guess it's primarily to prove it can be done - "For me I saw someone else saying there was a possibility I just had to try it!".

If it wasn't for Riley and similar people, with the skills and ability to do it, a willingness to try; we would never know whether idle musings can be turned into reality or what the effort, gains and limitations in doing so were.

The technology media seem to have seized on "PCIe graphics card on a Pi" aspect, and probably because it is good click-bait, but that does not seem to have been Riley's primary goal.

Trying a graphics card does however make sense, and it's a natural progression, that having broken out PCIe, one would see just how far one could push it, how "full-blown PCIe" one can make it.

Heater

Re: Pi graphics board - needs a microscope

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:29 am

You have to ask why?

Because that is what geeks/hacker/nerds do. Because, possibly, maybe, it's possible. For the challenge.

Some people watch telly or play soduku for fun. Or all manner of other pointless things. Why? What do you do?

It helps that he works with the chip designers at AMD so so probably has more knowledge and skill to pull it off.

Wonderful.

Return to “Off topic discussion”