raidv

Re: Wordpress website

Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi all RaspberryPi guys.

Noticed that this website is created in Wordpress and because this site is pretty popular I assume that it ain't such bad idea to create my own site with WP too.

I'm kind of a new-be in creating websites so I was wondering if it's a good idea to create a website with WP. I'm not doing the site to myself but for a small non-profitable company (More like family business).

So the first question is, Should I use WP (So far I've had no problem with it and the one who runs the business likes the site too)?

The second question is, How much money should a new-be website creator/editor ask?

Thanks in previous!

Lynbarn

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:33 pm

When you say you're "kind of a new-be" what actual practical experience do you have in website development?

Personally, I would say that WordPress, although very popular, may not be the most appropriate for your (or your client's) requirements, so I would find an ISP that offers free access to "Fantastico" or "Softaculous" - some even offer a limited hosting service for free too, at least enough to experiment with.  "Fantastico" and "Softaculous" both offer a simple way to load WordPress and many similar products that you can read comparisons, see demo sites, and create your own, then experiment and, if it is not for you, throw it away and start again.

As to how much you should ask? That depends on how good you are, how big/complex the site is, how long it will take you to deliver it, and many, many other criteria. Check what the going rate in your area is.

Hope that helps

zag

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:45 am

Wordpress is pretty much the market leader for simple blog platform.

It is very nice to use for non computer people.

Or you can use an online one like google's blogspot if you want something simpler.
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

geeday

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:00 am

WP is now being used much more frequently as non-blog sites too given you have the ability to create new "pages" and "page templates". You need to understand PHP and HTML/CSS if you want to create new template themes, but you would be able to get these designed (very nicely) on freelance sites such as Elance/Guru for about $50.

Wordpress is also excellent for SEO given certain plugins that are available.

Return to “Off topic discussion”