W. H. Heydt

Wishful thinking for an additional product

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:47 pm

Based on there being two lids for the Pi0 case and the fan that was included as part of the PoE HAT combined with the thermal issues with the Pi4B...

I would suggest an alternate lid to the official Pi4B case that includes ventilation holes (over the DRAM package) and a small fan over the SoC. It should have a couple of female Dupont leads to plug to 5v and ground connections of the users choice.

Yeah... I ran into an overheating Pi4B. I'd already put a small heatsink on the SoE. Small--10x10x5 mm because of space as I'm also using a Rasclock module. Taking the lid off and putting a USB powered fan, this one: https://www.frys.com/product/5442979?si ... IN_RSLT_PG has knocked the temperature down to 46'C to 50'C while running 1080p60 video, instead of 80'C or more. I really prefer to use closed cases, but that is obviously not practical in the instance. Nor is a Flirc case, because the Rasclock overlaps the SoC package. And the RTC uses the GPIO pins 1-6, so a fan shim is out, too.

Would an aftermarket replacement case lid with fan be something anyone else here would want?

Andyroo

Re: Wishful thinking for an additional product

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 pm

Cost of injection moulding is not cheap and you would have lots of different fan mounts to cope with as a guess :cry: Maybe as a kit with all bits would be the way to go.

I think it would be a good idea though and I’m surprised there is not one on the market already.

I do wonder if the current case lid could be cut by laser to give a hole and mounting points for self tapping screws...
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

DougieLawson

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:21 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
I would suggest an alternate lid to the official Pi4B case that includes ventilation holes (over the DRAM package) and a small fan over the SoC. It should have a couple of female Dupont leads to plug to 5v and ground connections of the users choice.
Already exists with the Pimoroni case and fan shim as per the photo in Peter Onion's tweet.
https://twitter.com/PeterOnion/status/1 ... 5282809856

The Pimoroni stacking case is better than the RPi "official" one.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Andyroo

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:33 pm

Really do not like those cases :roll:

HawaiianPi

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:37 pm

My 2GB Pi 4B is in one of my old Pi3 2 layer acrylic cases (no sides, so no problem with ports, and lots of airflow). I replaced the noisy, cheap fan with a 40x10mm Noctua, and the system runs cool and quiet with no heatsink.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:11 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:21 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Already exists with the Pimoroni case and fan shim as per the photo in Peter Onion's tweet.
https://twitter.com/PeterOnion/status/1 ... 5282809856

The Pimoroni stacking case is better than the RPi "official" one.
I explained why the fan shim won't work for my setup.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:26 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 pm
Cost of injection moulding is not cheap and you would have lots of different fan mounts to cope with as a guess :cry: Maybe as a kit with all bits would be the way to go.
It s a matter how many sell to amortize the cost of the injection mold. In the case of an alternate case lid, it should be possible to start from the design of the current lid, so while the molds would cost just as much, there'd only need to be one of them (or, at least, depending on how many molding machines, one per). And again, I point to the PoE HAT, which includes a fan...that appears to be 25mm.
I think it would be a good idea though and I’m surprised there is not one on the market already.
Well... The RPF Pi4B case is--one presumes--IP protected by the RPF and it hasn't been on the market very long, so I don't think the lack of an after-market, third party design is all that surprising.
I do wonder if the current case lid could be cut by laser to give a hole and mounting points for self tapping screws...
Almost certainly. It could also be done much lower tech: hand-held drill and dremel work. For me, it's a balance among looking good, my skills at the work, time to do the work, and just spending a moderate amount ($10? $15?) to be able to order as many as I think I might need.

Since the, rather more complex PoE HAT sells for $20 and the current two-piece case sells for $5, I think a case lid and fan would be reasonable in the $10 to $15 range. Obviously might be more if not many of them can be sold, or it could be less if they are very popular.

Just did a quick lookup... Here's a fan: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3368?g ... gJhR_D_BwE from a not exactly cheap source. Note $3.50 each but $2.80 each in lots of 100. So being generous, $3 for the plastic and $3 for the fan, and (at a guess) $2 for assembly should make it possible to sell for less than $15, and certainly less than $20.

Edit to add... One fly in the ointment... I've never done much with GPIOs, so I had to look up the layout. It looks like the only two 5v pins are in the first six, so they get covered by the Rasclock RTC. Have to find somewhere else to connect to to get 5v for a fan....

Andyroo

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:43 pm

There is a gent who makes low volume injection kits http://www.proxiemodels.com/ currently working on slot cars and some war game bases (I found him years ago as a war games supplier).

Problem is that he refuses to deal across the Atlantic now due to postage costs :cry:

Also his new website is very very slow from here

LTolledo

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:26 pm

While the RPF case is "ergonomically pleasing" I do tend to shy away from those due to lack of ventilation ports.
even the ones that came with the RPiZW (as a combo set, as I can't get non-combo versions) has been DIY modified to have vents.

now if the top lid can be modified (they did modified the lower part for the RPi4B), to accommodate ventilation ports, then I'd probably be getting those instead of the acrylic laminates that flooded the after market.

as with my RPi3B and RPi3B+, am getting the armor case for the RPi4B.
though I've no use for the PoE HAT, I can see that the armor case is compatible with it.

my RPi4B's GPIO port will be populated solely by a X400v3 DAC amp there is no way to power a fan from there
as I've always taken the fan's power from the microUSB port side, for the RPi4B I'll be using TP1 and TP7
am not holding my breath on any future implementation of fan pins for future RPi models...
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

scruss

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:53 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
A couple of minutes with a Dremel and the $3.50 Miniature 5V Cooling Fan for Raspberry Pi should see you right.

Chicago Electronic Distributors do have a new Raspberry Pi 4 case coming out very soon, designed by someone who makes really nice cases and it has space for all the gubbins you might need.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

ejolson

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:54 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:26 pm
While the RPF case is "ergonomically pleasing" I do tend to shy away from those due to lack of ventilation ports.
Even though official ventilation holes were discussed at length here when the Pi 3B+ came out, the case for the 4B allows for even less ventilation.

The advantage of such a case is that drilling the holes later gives people something to do after buying a Pi that relieves the monotony of all the programming. Since leaving a sufficient amount of low-hanging fruit for people to enjoy is educationally important, it may be the case that the case was designed with more thoughtful engineering than anyone might guess was the case.

Andyroo

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:08 pm

ejolson wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:54 pm
The advantage of such a case is that drilling the holes later gives people something to do after buying a Pi that relieves the monotony of all the programming. Since leaving a sufficient amount of low-hanging fruit for people to enjoy is educationally important, it may be the case that the case was designed with more thoughtful engineering than anyone might guess was the case.
:lol:

DIY to the end!

W. H. Heydt

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:48 am

scruss wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:53 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
A couple of minutes with a Dremel and the $3.50 Miniature 5V Cooling Fan for Raspberry Pi should see you right.
I'm considering that approach. I think I'd have to solder a lead to one of the 5v pins (or some other 5v source as the RTC I'm using covers both 5v pins on the header.

alphanumeric

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:05 pm

I drilled holes in my Pi 3B Black / grey official case. One of the first things I did after getting it. I didn't add a fan though.
I like the Pibow cases, especially the Coupe Ninja black ones. I have one on my Pi 4B, no fan shim yet though. I will be getting one at some point. Just a heatsink for now. I don't see me ever buying the official case for the 4B, not the current version anyway. I have bought quit a few of the Pi Zero official cases though. I like the different lids option.

Return to “Off topic discussion”