W. H. Heydt

Re: Best Raspberry Pi Alternatives 2019

Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Burngate wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:19 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:11 pm
When all is said and done, Dr. Upton is a nice guy.
He's also a clever guy. Not many have both.
I have to agree with that, too.
Since the whole idea at the start was to make them cheap enough to be seen as replaceable (unlike every other machine around at the time) does anyone have any knowledge of how successful it's been in introducing youngsters to computing?
I can't speak to statistics, but my grandson has learned a fair amount of Scratch because of the Pi I set up for him. (A Pi3B at present. In a few months--when things are a bit more stable--I'll probably upgrade that to a Pi4B2.)

jbeale

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:31 pm

> how successful it's been in introducing youngsters to computing?

My take: there is no one thing that magically makes many people interested in computing who didn't already have some interest. For those who are interested (of any age) the R-Pi is a great choice, and an unusually good value.

ejolson

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:35 pm

jbeale wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:31 pm
> how successful it's been in introducing youngsters to computing?

My take: there is no one thing that magically makes many people interested in computing who didn't already have some interest. For those who are interested (of any age) the R-Pi is a great choice, and an unusually good value.
My wife did CS at the university before the Raspberry Pi. Her claim, paraphrased as I understood it, is that because of taking care of her little brother she did a lot of playing with the kind of toys designed for boys. There were also a few teachers in school who recognized her talent and interests in programming and directed her towards a suitable university and degree. If I'm allowed to generalise from this one data point, it would seem having a computer literate teacher or mentor is as important as playing with a the right kind of creative building toys when younger.

It is an important competitive advantage in my opinion, that Raspberry Pi means not just hardware, but educational materials, training teachers and creating good will towards all computers.

Fraoch

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:25 pm

It's quite fair to say that the Raspberry Pi leads and others follow.

Other companies have time to come out with something that may beat a Raspberry Pi's specs, they just develop it after a new Pi has been released. Most find it hard to release something that will beat a current Pi for the same price. Heck, it's easy to come out with something that will beat the Pi if you're not concerned about the price...

The bar has been raised with the Pi 4, of course. I guess the better question is "Best Raspberry Pi Alternatives 2020" when follow-up products come out aimed at competing with the Pi 4.

Personally I'm very interested in the PineTab - hope it's out for Christmas as that would be what I would ask for. I guess the CPU specs would be similar to the Pi 3B+ except 2 GB RAM and 64 bit. I wonder if sales of competing boards took a tumble after the release of the Pi 4 and I wonder if in-development projects like the PineTab will be delayed as they update the SoC to compete with the Pi 4.

Any new alternative boards that were in development will now have to be revamped and their release delayed.
Pencoed-made Model 1B, Samsung memory
2B 1.1
3B+
4B 2GB

alphanumeric

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:39 pm

I was mulling over buying an ASUS Tinker Board. Kept putting it off though, hoping a new Pi with similar specs and performance would happen. And then the Pi 4 arrived. Being a brand loyal kind of guy I bought the Pi 4 instead. The only reason I even considered buying the ASUS Tinker Board was because I have an ASUS laptop and two ASUS motherboard based desktops that have not let me down after years and years of use. That brand loyal thing, ;).

LTolledo

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:53 pm

Fraoch wrote: Other companies have time to come out with something that may beat a Raspberry Pi's specs, they just develop it after a new Pi has been released.
"..... most of the other SBCs that were boasted as "RPi killers" are either dead or dying......"

primary reason: dismal lack of support from SBC makers themselves
secondary reason: high price (some were even outrageously/exorbitantly high priced)
third reason: lack of optional hardware support, or if it even exist, same reason as first 2 above

the only reason that's keeping those "barely alive" is "third party support", and some SBCs are already being dropped by those third party support providers
alphanumeric wrote: I was mulling over buying an ASUS Tinker Board. Kept putting it off though, .....

I think you've made a very good decision foregoing on getting the ATB...
but if you're a "collector" (like me ;) ) then I maybe its OK..... :D
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:24 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:53 pm
secondary reason: high price (some were even outrageously/exorbitantly high priced)
I tend to hark back to when the original Model B was launched.... At the time, the dominant SBC in the DIY/maker market was the Beagle Bone. It sold for $90. Then the Pi arrived with substantially the same specs, plus some extras, for....$35. The Beagleboard response was a new model at $45. Within a year, the Pi was outselling Beagle boards by about 5 to 1.

Fundamentally, the Pi set a new standard for what to expect in the way of exposed interfaces and the price to get them. When you add a *very* active user community providing quality support, backed by a solid team providing the software, it has turned out to be an unbeatable combination. That one knows that the profits are going to the good cause of furthering education--and one gets to see and hear about what's being down in those areas--helps a lot, too. Then you get to cases where a problem surfaces. The RPF (and, later, the RPT as well) steps up, admits when they've made a mistake (rather that hiding it and hoping the furor will go away) and works to fix it.

One might be tempted to think that the RPF/RPT reticence about future plans would adversely impact their products, but the open way they handle issues and fixes for existing products counters that quite effectively.

Now if they'd just market replacement controller boards for those of us with extremely early RPF displays....:-)

hippy

Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:20 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:24 pm
Then you get to cases where a problem surfaces. The RPF (and, later, the RPT as well) steps up, admits when they've made a mistake (rather that hiding it and hoping the furor will go away) and works to fix it.
To varying degrees.

Return to “Off topic discussion”