JulianFP

Pi4 vs nVidia Shield TV performance?

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:20 pm

My last post seems to have disappeared and I got no message from mods to say what rules I might have breached so I'm re-posting it. For safety I removed what I hoped was a useful link to a Wikipedia article (maybe I'm too much of a newbie to be allowed to post links) and removed a reference to a piece of software that some people seem to think always implies illegality. If anything is still offensive or inappropriate about the post below please tell me...

Has anyone done, or has anyone come across, any benchmarks of how the new Pi4-4GB compares performance-wise with the nVidia Shield TV (henceforth "Shield")?

The Shield has had a reputation pretty much since launch as a top choice for a <media-centre> box and that's what I've been using for my <media-centre> setup but I also have a Pi 3B for a lightweight NAS and I'm wondering about consolidating the two roles onto a single Pi4-4GB.

The Shield is based on Tegra X1 which is quad A57 at 1.9GHz (plus quad A53 for low power which I'm not counting) and Pi4 is quad A72 at 1.5GHz. The Wikipedia A72 entry (<link to Wiki article on Cortex-A72 now removed>) says...
The Cortex-A72 was announced in 2015 to serve as the successor of the Cortex-A57, and was designed to use 20% less power or offer 90% greater performance.

Assuming that design goal was at least approximately met, and assuming it was on an equal-frequency basis so the Pi4 needs to be adjusted down by a factor of 1.5/1.9 = approx 0.79, that still hints at an approx 50% CPU performance increase vs the Shield plus the 4GB version of the Pi4 has an extra 1GB of memory vs the Shield and running the Pi4 OS off a USB3 thumb drive should give pretty decent secondary storage bandwidth on a Pi4 now.

I'd be very interested in any actual benchmarks or real life experiences people might have comparing the two systems. (Sadly with the 4GB model as rare as hens teeth I can't try out anything myself yet.)
Post Reply 1 post • Page 1 of 1

bomblord

Re: Pi4 vs nVidia Shield TV performance?

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:42 pm

I took about an hour or so one day trying to find CPU performance comparisons between the two at launch but sadly I can't find anyone who has run the same benchmarks on both.

I've had some discussion with developers of an app I would be interested in seeing on the Pi 4 and they seem to think at stock the CPU should be roughly ~3/4 the performance of the Shield TV (just based on on paper specs) OC it and you should be able to outperform it.

GPU isn't even in the same class though the gap is so large it's not even worth comparing.

radiogalva

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:19 pm

I have both (Nvidia Shield TV and pi4 4GB)
I was planning to possibly replace Nvidia as media playback box (I use it to access and playback media files on emby server on NAS)
After testing pi4 I must admit that it's not suitable for that, at least not yet.
Video playback is not as good, and it has no emby client available.
Still - I would say that pi4 is very good device for file sharing needs, I was considering to get new NAS since my Synology DS116 is maxed out on storage, but now I think that I can postpone that purchase since pi4 + powered HDD works very good as file server. Only downside comparing to NAS I think would be lack of RAID for peace of mind. Network speeds and HDD speeds through USB3 are really very good (lot more than I was expecting, and I had my expectations quite high)
If I compare pi4 with Shield TV - they both are very capable devices, but biggest difference for me is software. pi4 = linux, Nvidia Shield TV = android. I prefer linux. Hardware in both is very good and capable. I just hope that pi will get better video playback with updates.

gkreidl

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:35 pm

I'm using the Pi a video player since version 1. For perfect video performance you can use:
omxplayer (and omxplayerGUI)
Kodi
VLC in full screen mode (you nedd at least a RPi2).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

JulianFP

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:39 pm

Bomblord - Thanks. Not quite as good on CPU as I’d hoped but probably still worth taking out for a spin once I can get hold of one. I also came up short when trying to search for comparable benchmarks.

Radiogalva - I have my Pi3B+ running RAID. I bought a dual drive USB enclosure & set it to JBOD so that when plugged it into a USB port on the Pi (running Raspbian) Raspbian sees two separate drives. I then formatted each as ext4 and used mdadm to make a mirrored set out of them. It works very well although admittedly my NAS is only used as a backup destination for the backup software running on my main PC and I only tend to change a handful of small files a day so the I/O requirement is minimal. I’m actually watching to see if anyone tries ZFS on a Pi4-4GB since I do care a lot about data integrity so would love to use ZFS. I also have such low performance requirements that I suspect all the warnings about ZFS needing lots of memory probably wouldn’t be an issue for me.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Shield $179 (cheapest model, comes with case, remote etc)
Raspberry Pi4B 4GB $55+tax.

So quite a difference in price....until just now, I hadn't even heard of the Shield. Looks like a nice bit of kit, but not cheap.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:17 pm

jamesh wrote:

So quite a difference in price....until just now, I hadn't even heard of the Shield. Looks like a nice bit of kit, but not cheap.

The Shield is not a comparative product, there is no default supported web browser, no GPIO and difficult to run a Debian based Operating Systems:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shield/buy/

https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/SHIELD-T ... -Upgrade-8
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

bensimmo

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:51 pm

jamesh wrote:

It's the basis for the Nintendo Switch, quite hard not to have heared about it, Nvidia have been dragging it along for four or so years.
It was the top tablet at one point for gaming. Then morphed into the ShieldTV.
If you have Nvidia graphics in you computer, you'll have lots of inadvertent adverts about it in there config setups programs.

bensimmo

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:52 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
jamesh wrote:

The Shield is not a comparative product, there is no default supported web browser, no GPIO and difficult to run a Debian based Operating Systems:

It is directly comparable for the posters use.
Except is has different added extras

bomblord

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:41 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Jetson Nano is basically the same hardware as the Shield TV with some minor downgrades and does all of that. Only $99 to boot

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:03 pm

It was probably deleted because we generally don't like it when people use our forum to advertise competing products here.
realising its not a competing product at all I relented, and moved it to off-topic.

Heater

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:21 pm

bensimmo,
It's the basis for the Nintendo Switch, quite hard not to have heared about it, Nvidia have been dragging it along for four or so years.
It was the top tablet at one point for gaming. Then morphed into the ShieldTV.
If you have Nvidia graphics in you computer, you'll have lots of inadvertent adverts about it in there config setups programs.
No. I have no idea what you are talking about.

If it does not run a well supported semblance of Debian, and make it easy to use GPIO, SPI, PWM, UART etc then I'm not sure what use it is or why even mention it here.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

bensimmo

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:48 am

Because some people use them as media devices.
Hence what LibreELEC had the Pi4 half a year before us for development.
Why there is a TV HAT.
Not everything Pi has to be physical.

Which *is* what this topic is about, well along with a NAS setup. Another common-ish use of the Pi.
Stay out if it is *no interest to you*.

Heater

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:10 am

"Stay out if it is *no interest to you*."

Yes, indeed. But I still can;t figure out what this thread is about.Just thought I would ask. Sorry.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

JulianFP

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:19 am

mahjongg wrote:
It was probably deleted because we generally don't like it when people use our forum to advertise competing products here.
realising its not a competing product at all I relented, and moved it to off-topic.

I see. Thanks for the explanation, and for relenting.

Heater wrote: "Stay out if it is *no interest to you*."

Yes, indeed. But I still can;t figure out what this thread is about.Just thought I would ask. Sorry.

No, I'm sorry. I really hadn't intended to create confusion, "advertise competing products", or start any flame wars. As the OP, if it helps, maybe I can explain what I had meant the thread to be about...

I originally used a Pi3B+ for my Kodi box and it worked surprisingly well but there was one (totally legal) add-on that I ran on it that was fairly sluggish perhaps because of bad coding in the add-on or the fact that it was all in Python which as an interpreted language. I felt that it could probably have benefited from more CPU power. Because of this I moved to what at the time was touted as one of the best boxes to run Kodi on, the nVidia Shield TV, although as already pointed out it is a world apart in price and I was only mentioning it in its role as a Kodi box so it is no way an alternative to pretty much any of the other use cases for a Pi.

Anyway, I was actually slightly underwhelmed by the improvement in CPU performance (as measured in how snappy the Kodi and add-on interfaces felt) when I moved to the Shield, there's was a definite improvement over the Pi3B+ but to me it' wasn't as much as I'd hoped but with the investment made I've stuck with the Shield until now. Then along comes the Pi4. This got me thinking about whether I could go back to using a Pi for my Kodi box which would also have the advantage of being more elegant since I do still use the Pi3B+ as a NAS so I go from a 2-box solution to a 1-box solution.

The question then becomes how would the performance compare with the Shield I use at the moment. As mentioned above, I believe my issues of sluggish Kodi response are down to certain Python addons needing a fair amount of CPU power thrown at them to overcome one or both of coding inefficiencies and/or interpretation overheads so a possible indicator of what my experience might be like were I to move my Kodi setup to a Pi4 would be comparative CPU benchmarks between a Pi4 and a Shield. That was the motivation behind my thread and the reason why I was hoping to discover some benchmarks comparing the Cortex-A57-based Tegra X1 SoC used by the Shield with the Pi4 Cortex-A72-based SoC.

By the way, far from being an advert for the Shield my hunch was that my thread would end up being an advert for the Pi4 since I'm hoping that the CPU performance of the Pi4 might well be better than the X1. I know that is at odds with what bomblord's app developers told him (they expected Pi4 to be ~ 3/4 of X1 performance based on "paper specs") but I wonder if they were just looking at the 1.9GHz X1 vs 1.5GHz Pi4 clock speeds and ignoring the significant architectural improvements in Cortex A72 vs A57 e.g. the A72 has a 5-wide out-of-order execution dispatcher vs 3-wide for A57 plus that design goal from ARM that I mentioned in my opening post to of a 90% performance improvement vs A57 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A72). Put all that together and I would be seriously interested in seeing whether Pi4 might actually outperform Tegra X1 even given the lower clock speed.

Finally a couple of final points.

1 - When I used Pi3B+ to run Kodi I had no issues with GPU power so, even if Shield GPU is still much more powerful than even the Pi4 GPU, if the Pi3B+ GPU was good enough for Kodi (at least for the resolutions that I care about) then surely the Pi4 GPU will be more than good enough.

2 - The thread got slightly sidetracked into NAS when radiogalva mentioned no RAID NAS so I thought I should mention that I have been successfully running a RAID NAS on my Pi3B+ for a while. My hope that the greater memory on a Pi4 might also open up the possibility for me to transition my NAS to ZFS also seemed an appropriate observation at that point.

Anyway, I'm really sorry that I seem to have created confusion and ruffled some feathers. It wasn't my intention and far from being a post promoting Shield I felt it might well end up as a Pi4-is-better post at least for the Kodi use case, or at least that was and still is my hope.

Thanks also again to the mods for letting the thread run and not killing it dead. I am still hoping that some X1 vs pi4 SoC CPU benchmarks might emerge at some point.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:10 am

JulianFP wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:19 am
mahjongg wrote:

I see. Thanks for the explanation, and for relenting.

Heater wrote: "Stay out if it is *no interest to you*."

No, I'm sorry. I really hadn't intended to create confusion, "advertise competing products", or start any flame wars. As the OP, if it helps, maybe I can explain what I had meant the thread to be about...

I originally used a Pi3B+ for my Kodi box and it worked surprisingly well but there was one (totally legal) add-on that I ran on it that was fairly sluggish perhaps because of bad coding in the add-on or the fact that it was all in Python which as an interpreted language. I felt that it could probably have benefited from more CPU power. Because of this I moved to what at the time was touted as one of the best boxes to run Kodi on, the nVidia Shield TV, although as already pointed out it is a world apart in price and I was only mentioning it in its role as a Kodi box so it is no way an alternative to pretty much any of the other use cases for a Pi.

Anyway, I was actually slightly underwhelmed by the improvement in CPU performance (as measured in how snappy the Kodi and add-on interfaces felt) when I moved to the Shield, there's was a definite improvement over the Pi3B+ but to me it' wasn't as much as I'd hoped but with the investment made I've stuck with the Shield until now. Then along comes the Pi4. This got me thinking about whether I could go back to using a Pi for my Kodi box which would also have the advantage of being more elegant since I do still use the Pi3B+ as a NAS so I go from a 2-box solution to a 1-box solution.

The question then becomes how would the performance compare with the Shield I use at the moment. As mentioned above, I believe my issues of sluggish Kodi response are down to certain Python addons needing a fair amount of CPU power thrown at them to overcome one or both of coding inefficiencies and/or interpretation overheads so a possible indicator of what my experience might be like were I to move my Kodi setup to a Pi4 would be comparative CPU benchmarks between a Pi4 and a Shield. That was the motivation behind my thread and the reason why I was hoping to discover some benchmarks comparing the Cortex-A57-based Tegra X1 SoC used by the Shield with the Pi4 Cortex-A72-based SoC.

By the way, far from being an advert for the Shield my hunch was that my thread would end up being an advert for the Pi4 since I'm hoping that the CPU performance of the Pi4 might well be better than the X1. I know that is at odds with what bomblord's app developers told him (they expected Pi4 to be ~ 3/4 of X1 performance based on "paper specs") but I wonder if they were just looking at the 1.9GHz X1 vs 1.5GHz Pi4 clock speeds and ignoring the significant architectural improvements in Cortex A72 vs A57 e.g. the A72 has a 5-wide out-of-order execution dispatcher vs 3-wide for A57 plus that design goal from ARM that I mentioned in my opening post to of a 90% performance improvement vs A57 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A72). Put all that together and I would be seriously interested in seeing whether Pi4 might actually outperform Tegra X1 even given the lower clock speed.

Finally a couple of final points.

1 - When I used Pi3B+ to run Kodi I had no issues with GPU power so, even if Shield GPU is still much more powerful than even the Pi4 GPU, if the Pi3B+ GPU was good enough for Kodi (at least for the resolutions that I care about) then surely the Pi4 GPU will be more than good enough.

2 - The thread got slightly sidetracked into NAS when radiogalva mentioned no RAID NAS so I thought I should mention that I have been successfully running a RAID NAS on my Pi3B+ for a while. My hope that the greater memory on a Pi4 might also open up the possibility for me to transition my NAS to ZFS also seemed an appropriate observation at that point.

Anyway, I'm really sorry that I seem to have created confusion and ruffled some feathers. It wasn't my intention and far from being a post promoting Shield I felt it might well end up as a Pi4-is-better post at least for the Kodi use case, or at least that was and still is my hope.

Thanks also again to the mods for letting the thread run and not killing it dead. I am still hoping that some X1 vs pi4 SoC CPU benchmarks might emerge at some point.

You have utterly and completely got the wrong end of how to compare performance, it is far far more than just the CPU, the boards from Hardkernel would be a better comparison.......

My Asus ChromeBit is on raw specifications very sub par even compared to the BCM2837 SoC family of Raspberry Pis, but it will undertake many tasks far better straight out of the box:

https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/ ... fications/

The Asus Tinker Board around $60 uses the same SoC as the ChromeBit.......

LTolledo

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:03 pm

from what I understand, before the original post was "deleted" and my reply was blocked out (apparently it was reported as "inappropriate") by someone.... :shock:

to me the nVidia Shield TV is an "appliance"
as is written on their home page:
NVIDIA SHIELD TV is the essential streaming media player for the modern living room. Thousands of apps. Thousands of games. The most 4K entertainment. And the Google Assistant built in.

the RPi4B is not, but can be converted to one, and to many more depending on one's preference.
More versatile for its price compared to the nVidia Shield TV.....

price difference already pointed out by jamesh.

performance difference? cant comment, nobody donated :mrgreen:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

LTolledo

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:09 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Really? Didn't know that.... thanks for the info. :D

Unfortunately...my ATB is on hiatus for about a year now.... still no solution to "display resolution hunting" problem..... :x
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:16 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:09 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Really? Didn't know that.... thanks for the info. :D

In Chromebooks as well, Asus have certainly got the most out of this 32bit SoC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockchip_RK3288

jdonald

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:31 am

A few weeks ago I came across this video which really left an impression regarding the Shield TV as a retrogaming console + set-top box. Summary for those who don't watch the whole 8 minutes: punchline is "this device has hardly changed since 2015, so why I am recommending it as the best device today, in 2019?" then he goes on to make some pretty good arguments taking into account the Pi 4, performance (particularly GPU performance), $$ and all.
bomblord wrote:
Jetson Nano is basically the same hardware as the Shield TV with some minor downgrades and does all of that.
Basically the same hardware, completely different software because Nano doesn't really support Android. This has always been the main distinguishing factor on Shield vs Jetson, as far back as the Shield Handheld + Jetson TK1.

Which hopefully gives some insight into performance (the original question), while at the same time reinforcing people's points that the Shield TV can't really be compared to Linux SBCs with performance benchmarks.

(Jetson Nano can, although that wasn't the topic.)

fruitoftheloom

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:14 am

jdonald wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:31 am
A few weeks ago I came across this video which really left an impression regarding the Shield TV as a retrogaming console + set-top box. Summary for those who don't watch the whole 8 minutes: punchline is "this device has hardly changed since 2015, so why I am recommending it as the best device today, in 2019?" then he goes on to make some pretty good arguments taking into account the Pi 4, performance (particularly GPU performance), $$ and all.
bomblord wrote:
Jetson Nano is basically the same hardware as the Shield TV with some minor downgrades and does all of that.
Basically the same hardware, completely different software because Nano doesn't really support Android. This has always been the main distinguishing factor on Shield vs Jetson, as far back as the Shield Handheld + Jetson TK1.

Which hopefully gives some insight into performance (the original question), while at the same time reinforcing people's points that the Shield TV can't really be compared to Linux SBCs with performance benchmarks.

(Jetson Nano can, although that wasn't the topic.)

The Shield runs a custom version Android TV which by default does not have a web browser. Though it was released in 2015, nVidia fully support and recently issued a full Android TV update.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/software-update/

This whole CPU comparison is total nonsense as I have already stated. There are many competitors products which are comparable.

lucyhales

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:25 am

I have used Nvidia Shield TV quite a lot and I'm satisfied with its performance. I haven't used pi4 so I cannot say anything about it. Also, there was an issue of rebooting in my nvidia shield device, which was fixed in some update I guess. And I had to use a Shield VPN app to access restricted content in my region. I think VPNs have to be configured manually on pi4 but there are apps supported on nvidia for VPNs, so I guess Nvidia has a plus in terms of this

mikebrian01

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:53 pm

lucyhales wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:25 am
I have used Nvidia Shield TV quite a lot and I'm satisfied with its performance. I haven't used pi4 so I cannot say anything about it. Also, there was an issue of rebooting in my nvidia shield device, which was fixed in some update I guess. And I had to use a Shield VPN app to access restricted content in my region. I think VPNs have to be configured manually on pi4 but there are apps supported on nvidia for VPNs, so I guess Nvidia has a plus in terms of this
Frankly, there is no comparison between Nvidia and Pi4 as one is for top streaming purpose and the other one is single board minicomputer which can use for various purposes such as robotics.
In Pi4, we have incredible specifications like; dual display (4k) support, far more better performance, Fast networking and many other tons of features in Pi4. But yeah we can say that with the help of Pi4 can make another streaming services like Nvidia

slinxy

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:49 pm

I've been looking into this also...
I've already have a pi4 running as an always on server but was thinking of picking up a second one for retro gaming, even thou I have all orginal consoles and ~90% of the games that I want, even the "classics" releases, it's just not as convenient as having them all on one box.

I think I'm going to opt for the nvidna shield for this task, pricing up the parts for the pi it comes to ~£100 pounds.. but is all that "fun" (work) in getting it working and maintaining it, I'm just too lazy now a days else I would just buy a gaming PC rather than use my PS4.

nem54

Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:33 am

I'm very much in the same boat. Looking for a kodi box and CPU performance is key. Various UI elements take a lot of CPU power to be smooth, especially with some newer skins.

I currently run a RPI2 with libreelec and it's aging cpu is struggling to run the UI smoothly. But more importantly it doesn't support the recent hevc and hdr video formats. I should note that my android TV with (A17, 1GHz) runs kodi significatly worse than the libreelec RPi2 (A7, 900Mhz). I'd guess the android TV does 10fps or so in some heavy UI scrolling tasks, RPI2 is at something like 20.

I would guess pi4 would handle kodi better than shield, but there's really no way to know without trying both. I wonder what OP ended up getting.

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:14 am

The Shield runs a custom version Android TV which by default does not have a web browser. Though it was released in 2015, nVidia fully support and recently issued a full Android TV update.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/software-update/

This whole CPU comparison is total nonsense as I have already stated. There are many competitors products which are comparable.
I think it's clear the comparison was a guess at best. Why don't you propose a better way to compare the two then? Your signature reads: Rather than negativity think outside the box ! and ehm, you are doing the former here.

Return to “Off topic discussion”