liamfraser280

Re: The w00t! life is good thread

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:17 pm

ukscone said:

all is good with the world.

4 pack of cadbury creme eggs sitting in front of me begging to be eaten

Life can't get much better than that...

Half term starts tomorrow: straight to the pub !

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:15 pm

ukscone said:

Did you buy them in the US? I bought one in California last month, and was sorely disappointed on biting into it to discover it was made from that sicky-tasting stuff that the Americans call chocolate, and not *proper* Cadbury's at all.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

piglet

Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:28 pm

Back from the pub on a Friday luchtime.

Back into the office to PC having BSOD'd.

Rebooted twice to BSOD.

Eaten two chocolate bars, and waiting for the third reboot.

This sure beats working….

[edit]Just in case you wonder how I can post this....the browser is the only app working....!

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:51 pm

liz said:

*proper* Cadbury's
Simple tip for finding decent chocolate: If it says "Hydrogenated Vegetable Fat" in the ingredients then:

1. It destroys orang-utan habitat

2. It tastes terrible.

And yes this does include CDM... and Galaxy.

So now you can buy chocolate that tastes better, and feel good at the same time.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:26 pm

liz said:

... and not *proper* Cadbury's at all.

I remember that if you bought cheap Cadburys chocolate bars in "certain places" you ended up with the stuff made under licence in Poland.  Strange ingredients (almost as if it were a kit). Very disappointing!  Apart from the shrinkage in terms of weight/size, I'm convinced that Cadburys is going downhill in terms of texture/flavour.  Personally I've never liked Bournville but from recent samplings (last Christmas) its almost a milk chocolate; not as dark as it used to be.

As far as Easter eggs are concerned, I'd still rather have Cadburys.  Nestles chocolate in particular tastes and feels like a particularly cheap type of cooking chocolate...

@ rurwin : of the "mass market" chocolates, CDM is much better than Galaxy. Given a choice between Galaxy and nothing, I'd take nothing any day!

@ ukscone :  I've got a 12 pack of creme eggs that I got from Tescoes for about £2.75.  I'm not going to touch them until Easter...  *smirk*
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:51 pm

liz said:

ukscone said:

Did you buy them in the US? I bought one in California last month, and was sorely disappointed on biting into it to discover it was made from that sicky-tasting stuff that the Americans call chocolate, and not *proper* Cadbury's at all.

No not this time. It was an "Emergency Food Parcel" from friends in the UK, somehow or other half my requests didn't make it into the parcel but they did include a nice note saying "we did buy them but we got a bit peckish while packing this so no walker's crisps or chocolate digestives". That's the 3rd time they have become peckish while packing food parcels. I think I need to find new friends.

hershey's chocolate tastes foul and smells like a freshly filled nappy

max1zzz

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:34 pm

I "accidentally" broke into Raspberry Pi towers.....

johnbeetem

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Practically the only thing that still tastes the same from my long-ago childhood is See's chocolates, still based in South San Francisco, California.  And still an excellent value if you consider price per calorie.

See's uses the excellent chocolate made by Guittard in Burlingame, California.  I used to bike past Guittard on the way to the Millbrae BART station and the aroma was heavenly, particularly near Valentine's Day and Easter.  It made me feel sorry for the people driving by in cars, missing out on the best things in life.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 pm

i've found a new way to avoid doing any work (housework or real work)

ZMPP has been ported to the nook color so playing mini-zork and BOFH from ifarchive at the moment

(and ok i'll admit it angry birds rio too — how i hate those games but somehow or other i have three versions on my nook. original, seasons and rio — really don''t know how that happened)

Kokoro

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Dad and I have done some work on my car today and it started (with assistance) and ran fine. I was able to drive it around the block. I am currently charging the battery. I have missed my car so much. It has been off the road (albeit parked on the road) since last May. It still has an oil leak that is unaffordably expensive to fix but at least I know the car is runable. That is the only major problem with it now.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Kid is playing his DS, cats are curled up on my side of the bed and wife is sleeping (on the remote control i might add so i can't put something decent on) so i decided take my laptop outside and have a mess around on da interwebs.

Just because i was bored and wasn't watching what I was typing I ended up typing an old exploit from 25something years ago and that was fixed about 21 years ago and it worked

I have emailed the admin (a friend so don't worry that I am being naughty) of the server i hit and he's removing the s/w until we can workout which versions are exploitable and I have wiped up the coffee I spit allover the wall and windows but LOL PMSL

I haven't had such a good laugh in weeks and I will probably have to have a little look around to see how common the s/w is these days

Lynbarn

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:53 pm

ukscone said:

Kid is playing his DS, cats are curled up on my side of the bed and wife is sleeping (on the remote control i might add so i can't put something decent on) so i decided take my laptop outside and have a mess around on da interwebs.

Just because i was bored and wasn't watching what I was typing I ended up typing an old exploit from 25something years ago and that was fixed about 21 years ago and it worked

I have emailed the admin (a friend so don't worry that I am being naughty) of the server i hit and he's removing the s/w until we can workout which versions are exploitable and I have wiped up the coffee I spit allover the wall and windows but LOL PMSL

I haven't had such a good laugh in weeks and I will probably have to have a little look around to see how common the s/w is these days

LOL! They do say the devil makes work for idle hands...

Chromatix

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:44 am

hershey's chocolate tastes foul and smells like a freshly filled nappy

Great, now I'm going to think of that every time I see a typical advertising blurb for a railway station cafe.  You know, the ones where the rolls are "freshly filled" but neither the rolls nor the fillings are necessarily fresh in themselves.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Jongoleur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 am

POWER!!!!!!

Ok, I can handle it.

Honest!

piglet

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:01 am

But to be safe, earth yourself well...

Jongoleur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:09 am

piglet said:

But to be safe, earth yourself well...

So THATS what the yellow/green wire is for?

Fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........  POP!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:28 pm

woohoo just found out there there is a previosuly unpublished new donald e. westlake book that is now published

http://bookclubs.barnesandnobl.....s_finished

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Hoorah! My electronics textbook (for the MITx course) has arrived! Though it"s fairly thick and heavy, and the words seem to be affixed to some collection of flappy leaf-like sheets, all pressed together.

Never mind; I bet it gets great battery-life!

spamel

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Mint! Just found The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox on Amazon for less than 25 quid!  Ordered!

Jongoleur

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:57 am

ukscone said:

woohoo just found out there there is a previosuly unpublished new donald e. westlake book that is now published

It was just the nekkid broad on the cover?  Right?

Amazing how concealing heads, arms and locks of hair can be!

russ wall

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:25 am

... made these last night to impress a gurl! It worked!!

Spring Roll Wrappers

... life in the old dog yet.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:38 pm

Jongoleur said:

ukscone said:

Amazing how concealing heads, arms and locks of hair can be!

nope i didn't actually notice that

but it looks like it's in the same vein of his dortmunder books and/or "help, i'm being held prisoner" which i really enjoy

Jongoleur

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:32 pm

ukscone said:

Jongoleur said:

nope i didn't actually notice that

but it looks like it's in the same vein of his dortmunder books and/or "help, i'm being held prisoner" which i really enjoy

To be honest, anything that claims to be "hard boiled" should have a lurid cover. Then you know what you're letting yourself in for!

Its like SF and Chris Foss spaceships, or anything with a Josh Kirby cover...

obarthelemy

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:06 am

A new entrant named Free has launched an unlimited mobile phone contract in France. For 16 euros/month ($21; 20€/$30 for non-ISP customers), I'm getting unlimited calls to national fixed and mobile phones; unlimited calls to most countries' fixed phones; unlimited calls to some countries' mobiles (among which Canada, where my brother lives), unlimited texts and MMS, unlimited data (throttled after 3GB though), and net neutrality (I can do Skype, VOIP, torrents, newsgroups...).

They also have a 2€ ($2.5, actually free for ISP-subscribers) 1-hr, national calls only (fixed or mobile) , no data, some texts/MMSs, plan, that's great for kids and the elderly. My mom was shelling out about 10€/month for a handful of calls.

Those prices are anywhere from half to one-sixth of last year's prices. Plus we're lucky in France to have enforced phone number portability, so I kept my phone# while switching providers, and enforced phone unlocking, so I got my HD2 unlocked for free (and for Free ^^).

And I got to kick my previous operator to the curve, which was an overdue pleasure. And to brag to my bro, who's paying $100/mo for his Canadian contract (and couldn't even get an iPhone with it, because his MS consultancy requires all employees to have MS phones ^^)

In the end, this feels perfect. Cheap, no random exclusions, and nice extras, free calls to  Canadian mobiles especially ^^

pluggster

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:48 am

the most hated team in football, managed by the most hated manager in football, owned by the most hated owner in football

leeds leeds leeds

life is indeed good

Return to “Off topic discussion”