ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The w00t! life is good thread

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:02 pm

This thread is for posting all the non-sucky things that are going on in your life.

I'll start

YAY!!!!! Snow is coming. Only 3 to 6 inches but beggers can't be choosers

spamel

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:09 pm

I got my quarterly bonus confirmed, just over four hundred squids! Pi paid for easily!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:11 pm

spamel said:

I got my quarterly bonus confirmed, just over four hundred squids! Pi paid for easily!

ok it must be your round.

i'll 'ave 'arf

TheEponymousBob

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Plan for the weekend: drink beer, get older, drink beer. Not necessarily in that order.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Um....

Err.......

No, I'm a "half empty" sort of person, I'll go back to the other thread. 

7+7 != 16
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Kokoro

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Unexpectedly, today in work where I am a cleaner we found about one-third of a large chocolate cake on one of the office tables.  Attached was a note "cleaners help yourself", so the three of us cleaners, during a break, ate the cake!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:47 pm

I am getting out of the suburban hell that is Orange County, and going up to Big Sur to do some hiking tomorrow. We have rented a cabin, and there will be NO INTERNET. There will, however, be blue jays, redwoods and, if I'm lucky, condors. Bliss.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

johnbeetem

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:58 pm

liz said:

I am ... going up to Big Sur to do some hiking tomorrow.  There will, however, be blue jays, redwoods and, if I'm lucky, condors. Bliss.

The last time I was at Big Sur there were small rodents half way between prairie dogs and squirrels, and they'd climb up your legs looking for handouts.  Don't know if they're still there.

scep

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:05 pm

A mate just brought a brace of woodcock round. Head lollipops for tea tomorrow

Big Sur sounds fab though...

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:15 pm

liz said:

I am getting out of the suburban hell that is Orange County, and going up to Big Sur to do some hiking tomorrow. We have rented a cabin, and there will be NO INTERNET. There will, however, be blue jays, redwoods and, if I'm lucky, condors. Bliss.

watch out for bigfoot. don't want you or eben getting squished! (at least not until after release day)

JustThisGuy

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:32 pm

liz said:

Big Sur is truly impressive, one of the best things that California has to offer. Remember to take along some binoculars and find an ocean overlook. It's Gray Whale migration season. Sorry about the rain tho.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

Burngate

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Been to CA twice. Those trees are BIG. And beautiful.

Also liked Crater Lake, though it's probably snowed in at the moment. July 4th, frozen feet & sunburned shoulders.

39 years ago tomorrow, on my 14th birthday, it started to snow. (Also my sister went into hospital with Ideopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura, but that's another story) It doesn't look like it'll snow tomorrow, but we'll be a day closer to launch!

Andre_P

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Oh Good news, ok

I've had the employment back ground check passed for the new job and my present company keep on making semi serious jokes asking if I want to change my mind .

Jim Brown

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:32 pm

I've just spent a nice evening with my good lady. She's gone out, I've got a cold beer in the fridge, and I can now browse the Pi forums in peace ... (!)

cowfodder

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:04 am

Let"s see here....... The pi is close to release, football on TV, beer in the fridge and the wife and I recently found out that she"s about a month pregnant. Life is indeed good.

Jongoleur

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:25 am

cowfodder said:

Let"s see here....... The pi is close to release, football on TV, beer in the fridge and the wife and I recently found out that she"s about a month pregnant. Life is indeed good.

Congrats!

Hope the Pi arrives before the sprog.......  

liz

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Congrats Cowfodder! What brilliant news!

I've just had an email telling me I've been nominated for a PSA Cruise Journalism award for something I wrote last year (and wasn't particularly proud of, TBH - I was kind of on autopilot when I wrote it). I don't expect to win, but it's a lovely feeling to be nominated.

I am superstitious, so I'm not linking to it here until *after* the award ceremony.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Burngate

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:42 pm

WooHoo! I got mine!

Sorry just practising for the launch

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:49 pm

cowfodder said:

the wife and I recently found out that she"s about a month pregnant. Life is indeed good.

congratulations. don't forget to get an extra raspi so he/she can start learning to program as soon as it can stand

Andre_P

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Congrats to Cowfodder !

And to add the general cheeriness I have just had a rather nice steak, plus I have put something into the oven for slow cooking.

Even as I type my house is being gently filled by the rather delicious smell of food cooking in a rather nice red .

Jongoleur

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:59 pm

liz said:

I've just had an email telling me I've been nominated for a PSA Cruise Journalism award for something I wrote last year (and wasn't particularly proud of, TBH - I was kind of on autopilot when I wrote it). I don't expect to win, but it's a lovely feeling to be nominated.

I am superstitious, so I'm not linking to it here until *after* the award ceremony.

Fingers crossed! 

scep

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:05 am

liz said:

Congrats Cowfodder! What brilliant news!

But  rationalist when it comes to ley lines? Hmmm...  Break a leg and all that....

And seeing as we were talking about kuksa on the sucky thread, I thought I'd tenuously waft the Nordic carvingness over to the w00t thread and show off my first hand crafted knife that I finished this evening . Needs a few more coats of tung oil and the sheath needs dipping (missus!) but I'm pretty pleased.

cowfodder

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:15 am

ukscone said:

cowfodder said:

the wife and I recently found out that she"s about a month pregnant. Life is indeed good.

congratulations. don't forget to get an extra raspi so he/she can start learning to program as soon as it can stand

We're not even waiting that long.  I'm currently trying to figure out how to embed a raspi and touchscreen in the womb to keep him/her entertained.  :-D

spamel

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Nice job on the puuko scep, the sheaths are a bit difficult though aren"t they? I have a friend that lives in Ossett that helped with the one I made and he used the Gerd tutorial wrote on the British Blades website. It is pretty easy to follow and is really good fun too. I might have to find a suitable piece of birch and carve another kuksa, I haven"t done any for a while.

scep

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:35 pm

spamel said:

Nice job on the puuko scep, the sheaths are a bit difficult though aren"t they?

yeah, my fingers hurt   I had seen the Gerd tutorial but wanted to do a traditional side-stitched sheath – came out alright but I messed up the end (cut off too much!), plus it needs a bit of embossing. It does the job though.

Kuksas look great – probably my next (non-Pi) project.

Return to “Off topic discussion”