DarkPlatinum

Original Model B price?

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Hello guys, I heard from somewhere sometime ago that the Original Raspberry Pi Model B (The one with no mounting holes) is now worth quite a lot in 2019. Is this true as the Pi is discontinued? If so how much would the resale be?

Edit: Found one on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi ... SwMsZdDCqr
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

klricks

Re: Original Model B price?

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:41 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Hello guys, I heard from somewhere sometime ago that the Original Raspberry Pi Model B (The one with no mounting holes) is now worth quite a lot in 2019. Is this true as the Pi is discontinued? If so how much would the resale be?

This ebay is 5 NIB for $100 US (BIN): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-5-Raspb ... SwxqZcq32N
Another listing is 5 NIB for $60 US starting bid.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

DarkPlatinum

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:44 pm

klricks wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:41 pm
DarkPlatinum wrote:

This ebay is 5 NIB for $100 US (BIN): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-5-Raspb ... SwxqZcq32N
Another listing is 5 NIB for $60 US starting bid.
Ah but these Pi have mounting holes. If you see the link I gave, it shows the Pi has no mounting holes + I am pretty sure this Pi has only 256 mb of Ram, 1 core at 700mhz. (I will have to see as I am not 100% sure whether this is the original Pi or not.) Also the Pi I have received is says "Raspberry Pi (c) 2011" whereas the link that you have provided shows "Raspberry Pi (c) 2011,12"

Here is a clear picture: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... rry_Pi.jpg This is exactly the same Pi I have except the CPU is Samsung.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

Andyroo

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:59 pm

They are worth (as a lot of ‘collectibles’) what the market is prepared to pay for them.

You can pop things on eBay and get £140 and next week the same thing sells for £60 - is it too early for these to be a collectors item yet?

If two or buyers desperately need it, it’s worth more than one bidding :lol:

DarkPlatinum

Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:59 pm
They are worth (as a lot of ‘collectibles’) what the market is prepared to pay for them.

You can pop things on eBay and get £140 and next week the same thing sells for £60 - is it too early for these to be a collectors item yet?

If two or buyers desperately need it, it’s worth more than one bidding :lol:
To be perfectly honest with you it is not mine. I was planning on making a digital signage screen for my bosses shop... but this dang thing is too slow. (He had one laying around unused and told me to give it a try otherwise he will buy the 3B+)

hippy

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:13 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
I heard from somewhere sometime ago that the Original Raspberry Pi Model B (The one with no mounting holes) is now worth quite a lot in 2019. Is this true as the Pi is discontinued? If so how much would the resale be?
It's worth as much as anyone is prepared to pay.

I have been building my collection of Pi B's from those sold in CeX on the high street. They sell for £8 each, and CeX will buy for cash at £4. If you can find someone prepared to pay more then you're on to a winner.

This is CeX's pricing which I think was right a week or so ago -

Code: Select all

.-------------.-------------------------.-------------------------------.
           | 0     0W    | A     A+    B     B+    | 2B    2B*   3B    3A+   3B+   |
           |-------------|-------------------------|-------------------------------|
CeX Sells  | £10   £12   | £8    £15   £8    £10   | £20   £20   £28   £30   £28   |
CeX Buys   | £6    £8    | £5    £4    £6    £4    | £6    £6    £18   £20   £18   |
CeX Cash   | £4    £5    | £3    £2    £4    £2    | £3    £3    £13   £14   £13   |
           |-------------|-------------------------|-------------------------------|

drgeoff

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:23 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:44 pm
This is exactly the same Pi I have except the CPU is Samsung.
No model of RPi has or has had a Samsung CPU.

The Samsung device is a RAM chip. It is PoP mounted on the Broadcom chip. If you look closely you can see the join. (Cue Eric Morecambe.)

DavidS

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:28 am

The old RPi model B that you show does have 2 mounting holes, they are towards the center of the board (different position than newer models).

The SoC is a Broadcom BCM2835. The Samsung chip is the RAM that is mounted on top of the SoC (the SoC contains the CPU, GPU, MMU, and most of the I/O devices).

They sold over a million of these before the introduction of the B+, so anyone looking for them should not be willing to pay that much, and they are not that old having just come out in 2012 (in 2011 the prototypes were different, and they were prototypes not yet available to the public).

It is interesting that in 2011 RISC OS was already running and usable on prototype Raspberry Pi boards, while Linux just barely worked (you can see some of the issues on this forum if you look back at the 2011 postings). So like the original Acorn Archimedes that had both a n*x style OS being developed for it and the in house Arthur OS (that later became RISC OS), on the Raspberry Pi RISC OS was in a usable state first, before its n*x style alternative. The difference being that the n*x style OS (Linux) is actually getting a lot of use on the Raspberry Pi series.

If you look at the timeline of ARM based computers, there is a pretty good argument that the Raspberry Pi is the newest generation of Acorn ARM based computer. It is made by a company located in the same area as Acorn was, it did best with RISC OS first, it is sold by Element 14 (a company that came out of Acorn), and there has been occasional involvement from some of the people from Acorn, including some that were involved with the creation of the ARM and others involved in the creation of the Acorn Archimedes series.

So as an unoficial time line of ARM Based Computers in the Acorn lineage I would put:
  • Acorn ARMv1 Second Processor for the BBC Micro.
  • Acorn A5000 Development board, Second Processor Board with I/O.
  • Acorn Archimedes series (ARMv2 Computers).
  • Acorn RiscPC Series (ARMv3 and ARMv4 Based computers).
  • Out of lineage GAP filler: IYONIX (ARMv5 Computer) and A9 Home (ARMv4 Computer).
  • Raspberry Pi Prototypes.
  • Raspberry Pi 1 Series.
  • Raspberry Pi 2 Series.
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Series.
  • Raspberry Pi 4 Series.
The original Acorn Computer produced RISC OS based commercial ARM based computers from 1987 through 1999, that is 12 years. The new Acorn (Raspberry Pi) is set to last longer by the looks of things.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:34 am

Afaict despite the name the same "farnell element14" and the element14 that was the remnant of acorn don't have any relationship to each other.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:01 pm

DavidS wrote:
The old RPi model B that you show does have 2 mounting holes, they are towards the center of the board (different position than newer models).

The SoC is a Broadcom BCM2835. The Samsung chip is the RAM that is mounted on top of the SoC (the SoC contains the CPU, GPU, MMU, and most of the I/O devices).

They sold over a million of these before the introduction of the B+, so anyone looking for them should not be willing to pay that much, and they are not that old having just come out in 2012 (in 2011 the prototypes were different, and they were prototypes not yet available to the public).

It is interesting that in 2011 RISC OS was already running and usable on prototype Raspberry Pi boards, while Linux just barely worked (you can see some of the issues on this forum if you look back at the 2011 postings). So like the original Acorn Archimedes that had both a n*x style OS being developed for it and the in house Arthur OS (that later became RISC OS), on the Raspberry Pi RISC OS was in a usable state first, before its n*x style alternative. The difference being that the n*x style OS (Linux) is actually getting a lot of use on the Raspberry Pi series.

If you look at the timeline of ARM based computers, there is a pretty good argument that the Raspberry Pi is the newest generation of Acorn ARM based computer. It is made by a company located in the same area as Acorn was, it did best with RISC OS first, it is sold by Element 14 (a company that came out of Acorn), and there has been occasional involvement from some of the people from Acorn, including some that were involved with the creation of the ARM and others involved in the creation of the Acorn Archimedes series.

So as an unoficial time line of ARM Based Computers in the Acorn lineage I would put:
  • Acorn ARMv1 Second Processor for the BBC Micro.
  • Acorn A5000 Development board, Second Processor Board with I/O.
  • Acorn Archimedes series (ARMv2 Computers).
  • Acorn RiscPC Series (ARMv3 and ARMv4 Based computers).
  • Out of lineage GAP filler: IYONIX (ARMv5 Computer) and A9 Home (ARMv4 Computer).
  • Raspberry Pi Prototypes.
  • Raspberry Pi 1 Series.
  • Raspberry Pi 2 Series.
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Series.
  • Raspberry Pi 4 Series.
The original Acorn Computer produced RISC OS based commercial ARM based computers from 1987 through 1999, that is 12 years. The new Acorn (Raspberry Pi) is set to last longer by the looks of things.

Est 1981 CJE Micros and have stuck with ARM PCs through the lean times:

http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/about.shtml
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Imperf3kt

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:35 pm

DavidS wrote:
I am having trouble seeing these mounting holes.
I know where they are on located (see klrick's post) but cannot see them in the linked url by OP.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

hippy

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:02 pm

The Pi B Rev 2 introduced two production line assembly alignment holes. The B+ was the first with actual mounting holes.

The OP's link is to a first ever B Rev 1 with fuses. No alignment holes, no mounting holes.

DavidS

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:49 pm

hippy wrote:
The Pi B Rev 2 introduced two production line assembly alignment holes. The B+ was the first with actual mounting holes.

The OP's link is to a first ever B Rev 1 with fuses. No alignment holes, no mounting holes.
I see the two mounting holes in the photo, same as my very first RPi model B, that was among the sell out first day orders.

Now they did move them with the rev 2 a short time later (my second RPi B had them in a different more logical placement).
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

hippy

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:29 pm

DavidS wrote:
hippy wrote:

I see the two mounting holes in the photo, same as my very first RPi model B, that was among the sell out first day orders.
Do you mean those holes marked "TP1" and "TP2", top right of RG2 and left of video phono ?

Okay; I'll accept they are "holes", and possibly alignment holes, though not as big and as obvious as on the Rev 2, and I thought the "FD" pads were for alignment.

I had never noticed those "TP" holes - or forgotten them - and they are still there on Rev 2 as well. Though being about 1mm diameter I would not class them as mounting holes. They look like PTH holes for single pin headers to me.

There are also two holes top and bottom of the left-hand display cable connector, but those seem for locating the SD Card socket lugs.

If somewhere else, it would be handy if you could post an image or indicate where they are because I can't see them, either in the photo or on my B Rev 1 board.

rpdom

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:35 am

The TP1 and TP2 "holes" were test points like the PPnn ones one later models. Those two were connected to 0v and 5v.

DavidS

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:34 pm

hippy wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:29 pm
DavidS wrote:
hippy wrote:

Do you mean those holes marked "TP1" and "TP2", top right of RG2 and left of video phono ?
No not the test point holes. There is one near the one test point hole, though the mounting holes have no markings on them. The mounting holes are about 2.5 times the size of the test point holes.
Okay; I'll accept they are "holes", and possibly alignment holes, though not as big and as obvious as on the Rev 2, and I thought the "FD" pads were for alignment.

I had never noticed those "TP" holes - or forgotten them - and they are still there on Rev 2 as well. Though being about 1mm diameter I would not class them as mounting holes. They look like PTH holes for single pin headers to me.

There are also two holes top and bottom of the left-hand display cable connector, but those seem for locating the SD Card socket lugs.

If somewhere else, it would be handy if you could post an image or indicate where they are because I can't see them, either in the photo or on my B Rev 1 board.
If you look to the left of the test point hole that is down and left of the SoC and RAM you will see one near the camera header. It is kind of masked in the photo do to the white background, though still quite easily visible if you are looking for it.

DavidS

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:37 pm

Ok just dug out my original RPi, and comparing with Photo, they are a match.

One mounting hole is directly to the left of the TP1 test point, and at the corner of the S2 header.

The other is just below R19 (and cuts off the silk screen of the R), that is just below header P2.

rpdom

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:06 pm

DavidS wrote:

One mounting hole is directly to the left of the TP1 test point, and at the corner of the S2 header.

The other is just below R19 (and cuts off the silk screen of the R), that is just below header P2.
That's a Rev2 Pi then. The original Pi like the one in the listing didn't have those "mounting" holes.

DavidS

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:42 am

rpdom wrote:
DavidS wrote:

That's a Rev2 Pi then. The original Pi like the one in the listing didn't have those "mounting" holes.
The rev 2 was out on the day the RPi was released???? That is when I purchased the one that I am describing.

Also the Rev 2 boards I have have the mounting holes in different locations from the early RPi I have.

Imperf3kt

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:08 am

This topic is about a revision 1 Pi1b though.

I still do not see the mounting holes in either the linked ebay sale, nor the Wikipedia image.

Can you please circle where these holes are, not describe where they are.

DavidS

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:20 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:08 am
This topic is about a revision 1 Pi1b though.

I still do not see the mounting holes in either the linked ebay sale, nor the Wikipedia image.

Can you please circle where these holes are, not describe where they are.
Now how am I going to do that, it is not my photo, so not my rite to modify. The photo clearly shows the holes I describe (try zooming in to 100% scale of the image).

Imperf3kt

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:34 am

DavidS wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:20 am

Now how am I going to do that, it is not my photo, so not my rite to modify.
Editing the photo for review or commentary is covered under international fair use laws.
You do have the right to add a red circle or other markings in aide of your discussion about said image.

I simply ask because you are the only person in this thread who claims these mounting points exist and so am led to believe you are either mistaken or looking at the wrong photo.

Just to be sure, everyone here is discussing these two photos.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... rry_Pi.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi ... SwMsZdDCqr

DavidS

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:03 am

Yes that is the correct Wikimedia Photo. Thread screenshot taken, in case the law proves you wrong. Going to circle the holes.

rpdom

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:22 am

DavidS wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:42 am
rpdom wrote:
The rev 2 was out on the day the RPi was released???? That is when I purchased the one that I am describing.

Also the Rev 2 boards I have have the mounting holes in different locations from the early RPi I have.
I have Rev 1 and Rev 2 boards. The Rev 1s don't have mounting holes at all. The Rev 2s have the two holes. The B+ and later models have the four holes.

The Rev 1 is the model with the two USB polyfuses, limited to 140mA each. They were later replaced by 0 Ohm resistor links, then removed completely in the Rev 2.

DavidS

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:27 am

Ok here is the photo:
The two mounting holes (which are in use for mounting my copy of this model) have been highlighted in RED transparent circles.

I had to scale it down to make it small enough to post to the forum.
Attachments
Front_of_Raspberry_Pi.gif
Front_of_Raspberry_Pi.gif (63.6 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

Return to “Off topic discussion”