Andyroo
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 am
Location: Lincs U.K.

Re: Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Thu May 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Still not working BUT it looks like the DuckDuckGo search and clicking on the number in a post is lots lots faster for me.

(Failing that - they have finally sorted my internet connection out AGAIN :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: )
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22044
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Fri May 24, 2019 1:44 pm

We believe there was a tiny misconfiguration in the PHP search which has now been fixed, so this search should now be working, and, hopefully, a LOT faster.

Please report back any issues.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

pcmanbob
Posts: 5869
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Fri May 24, 2019 1:48 pm

Working for me and yes it appears faster :D

please pass on thanks to all those who worked on the problem and improvements.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Andyroo
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 am
Location: Lincs U.K.

Re: Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Fri May 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Wowser - thanks to the support guys :D
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

pcmanbob
Posts: 5869
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Fri May 24, 2019 1:59 pm

Opps might have found a problem.

Just replied to a post on a thread, but when I then go to the ego search the new post does not show up.

So post made at 14:55 just checked ego search 14:58 post does not show up. :(

thread in question viewtopic.php?f=63&t=241286


EDIT.
but strangely this post has shown up in ego search :?

So it looks like it might only be new threads that are not showing up .

Edit 2.

just replied to another new thread and that's not showing up so its replies to new threads that are not showing up, but also first post on an existing thread does no result in the thread showing up in ego search.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22044
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Fri May 24, 2019 2:17 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:59 pm
Opps might have found a problem.

Just replied to a post on a thread, but when I then go to the ego search the new post does not show up.

So post made at 14:55 just checked ego search 14:58 post does not show up. :(

thread in question viewtopic.php?f=63&t=241286


EDIT.
but strangely this post has shown up in ego search :?

So it looks like it might only be new threads that are not showing up .

Edit 2.

just replied to another new thread and that's not showing up so its replies to new threads that are not showing up, but also first post on an existing thread does no result in the thread showing up in ego search.
I think this is a side effect of the new search scheme, which still needs a bit of tweaking - AIUI, some data needs to move between places and we need to get that movement optimised. Will report to webteam anyway to confirm, but I suspect that its simply a delay.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

pcmanbob
Posts: 5869
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:17 pm
I think this is a side effect of the new search scheme, which still needs a bit of tweaking - AIUI, some data needs to move between places and we need to get that movement optimised. Will report to webteam anyway to confirm, but I suspect that its simply a delay.
OK there was a delay in new posts showing up when you used the profile , Search user’s posts option ( been a day behind since last sunday ) so may be its related.

also just noticed you no longer get the number of posts found when you do the ego search...
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

hippy
Posts: 5091
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Fri May 24, 2019 5:01 pm

All seems to be fixed now. So many thanks to the team and everyone involved in getting it fixed.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5654
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: [FIXED] Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Fri May 24, 2019 5:04 pm

+1 web team appreciation post. Thanks.

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: [FIXED] Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Fri May 24, 2019 7:20 pm

All the missed updates to posts. time to catch up :-)
pesky little bugs.
Enjoy the weekend.

pcmanbob
Posts: 5869
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: [FIXED] Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Fri May 24, 2019 7:26 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:20 pm
All the missed updates to posts. time to catch up :-)
pesky little bugs.
Enjoy the weekend.
You may find that posts to new treads don't show up , all my replies to new threads today don't show up, but new posts to threads I have already replied to do.

already reported to jamesh
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

MrEngman
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: [FIXED] Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Wed May 29, 2019 5:47 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:26 pm
bensimmo wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:20 pm
All the missed updates to posts. time to catch up :-)
pesky little bugs.
Enjoy the weekend.
You may find that posts to new treads don't show up , all my replies to new threads today don't show up, but new posts to threads I have already replied to do.

already reported to jamesh
I'm seeing the same thing. Post to new threads are not appearing in my list of posts.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

pcmanbob
Posts: 5869
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: [FIXED] Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Wed May 29, 2019 7:56 pm

I have found that new threads I reply today will show in my ego search tomorrow, so it looks like the search for posts to new threads only happens once a day , occuring between 12 - 2 each night.

Once the thread gets listed in my ego search any further posts are update in the search within seconds.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

pcmanbob
Posts: 5869
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: [FIXED] Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Fri May 31, 2019 8:33 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:56 pm
I have found that new threads I reply today will show in my ego search tomorrow, so it looks like the search for posts to new threads only happens once a day , occurring between 12 - 2 each night.

Once the thread gets listed in my ego search any further posts are update in the search within seconds.
Hi jamesh

Do you have any update on when or if the above problem with the ego search will be fixed.

It seams to be the last of the problems that still need sorting following the last update to the search function.

Again thanks to all those working on this.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22044
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: [FIXED] Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Fri May 31, 2019 8:38 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:33 am
pcmanbob wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:56 pm
I have found that new threads I reply today will show in my ego search tomorrow, so it looks like the search for posts to new threads only happens once a day , occurring between 12 - 2 each night.

Once the thread gets listed in my ego search any further posts are update in the search within seconds.
Hi jamesh

Do you have any update on when or if the above problem with the ego search will be fixed.

It seams to be the last of the problems that still need sorting following the last update to the search function.

Again thanks to all those working on this.
No news to report yet. Mythic are working on this stuff at the moment.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
scruss
Posts: 2222
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact: Website

Re: [FIXED] Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:19 pm

I don't think it's quite there yet. There's a thread (241970) that I've contributed to (p1476205, p1476182) that's not in my posts.
Not that I particularly want that thread in my history: it makes me reach for the zantac and/or beta blockers …
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 5863
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: [FIXED] Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Good news (possibly): you do still exist in that thread - a full-site search on Duckduckgo for that thread number says so. It may be that it's just taking about a day for the present to become proper history.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 6624
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: [FIXED] Ego Search / Own Posts failing

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 pm

I suspect that the master table of threads you have contributed to is a batch job (possibly once a day), but once indexed any subsequent updates show up immediately in egosearch. I'm not directly involved in the forum configuration, so have no real idea over what or where that would sit, so I leave that for others.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Off topic discussion”