ejolson

An Apology to Alan

Mon May 06, 2019 5:58 pm

I want to apologize to anyone named Alan (or with Alan as one of their their middle, last or friends' names) who might have been offended by my post here.

When I made that post I did not know what the slang interpretations might be and was thinking of

the book Where's Wally as described here. Since then I've looked up the slang and was not only surprised but very sorry for what my post might have meant to various people reading it.

As the original thread in which I made that post has been locked, there is unfortunately no way for me to update and make things right. Therefore, I'm hoping you will accept my apology here and double apology for not being able to correct what I wrote before.

At anyrate, here is an updated version of the Visual Basic code:

Code: Select all

module wally

sub main()
    console.writeline("WHERE'S WALLY?")
end sub

end module

bensimmo

Re: An Apology to Alan

Mon May 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Interesting, we call children wallys here, do we have to stop that now?
It just means, "a little bit of an idiot", but no harm done.

Often used as 'a right wally'

No idea who uses it as anything inappropriate.
Of course that is different to Wally, but BBC BASIC is ALL CAPS so WALLY could be either.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 06, 2019 6:26 pm

BBC basic keywords were all caps, but you could use lower case in variable names, strings etc.

bensimmo

Mon May 06, 2019 7:48 pm

You could but I don't remember many normal users doing so at the start, that's not what the manual/user guide used at the start and few got further than REPEAT UNTIL and GOTO
BBC was all about CAPS and two finger prodding ;-)

(Although PROCnames always ended up like that, to much having to turn the capslock key off)
It was a comment on the original Where's 'Alan' Wally code.

hippy

Mon May 06, 2019 8:09 pm

ejolson wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:58 pm
I'm hoping you will accept my apology here and double apology for not being able to correct what I wrote before.
I am sure your apology will be accepted by anyone who has been offended but I would hope few were in the first place.

I would hope, unless there's been a history of deliberate offensiveness, most people would consider anything said as meant innocently enough and any tripping over an unfortunate colloquialism comes down to not being familiar with how it might be taken by some.

Given how the most innocent turn of phrase or word may be taken some other way in some quarters it is likely impossible never to offend.

I had to edit a post on a forum I admin today having seen something which could easily be taken as somewhat offensive though not intended that way. I generally 'silently edit' so as to not even draw attention to the post or poster or raise questions as to why a mod stepped in.

It happens, it wasn't intended, no harm done.

Heater

Mon May 06, 2019 9:22 pm

ejolson,
When I made that post I did not know what the slang interpretations might be and was thinking of the book Where's Wally as described here.
Is it slang? I wondered. After 6 decades of common use it seems to have become a fully fledged English word. From the common English dictionaries we find definitions like:

wally - noun - A silly or inept person.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/wally

"Wally" is of course a short from of the name Wallter. As "Willy" is short for William. The origin given in the dictionary link above suggests a reason why the name was used for the book.

So, who should be offended? The Alans of this world or the Walters? Or both?

ejolson

Mon May 06, 2019 10:39 pm

It's reassuring to hear the meanings commonly understood here are not as bad as I feared.

Language is already difficult when speaking in person. Avoiding a misunderstanding even more so on an international forum such as this one. I guess that is why it's important to always assume the better meaning.

Still, if anyone was offended, sorry for the offense.

scruss

Tue May 07, 2019 2:46 am

I certainly don't consider any member of a nomadic people of the northern Caucasus from whom the Ossetians are thought to be descended to be a wally. At the time I wrioe of, it was about the mildest expression of derision one could use. There was even a book about it: How To Be A Wally

Can we get on with our interrupted programming about Fibonacci numbers, please?
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 07, 2019 11:34 am

And there was a Sinclair Spectrum game "everyone is a wally", it where I know the term from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pHQICBxw5o
:mrgreen:

Return to “Off topic discussion”