Page 1 of 5

is the pi worth it?

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:17 pm
by larf
Hello! I want to buy a raspberry pi because my laptop broke and i need a secondary pc and this looks like a good solution. I'll use this for playing music, surf the net (facebook, twitter, and some youtube), and probably to play games on it. I also ordered a fighting stick and I think it would be also perfect to use for retro gaming on the pi. Like is it worth it for what im supposed to do with this pi? Thanks in advance

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:04 pm
by Heater
No. The Pi is not for you.

However, when you are ready to do something interesting with computers do remember the Pi.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:00 pm
by Andyroo
I would get one BUT just use it for the retro games OR playing music

Even the Pi 3B+ struggles with web browsing and if you are expecting it to replace a PC then you will be disappointed.

Look at the Pi as a way of learning Linux cheaply, learning a bit about hardware and the way software works - its not a plug and play machine like a PC.

I would have a read of a few of the magazines PDFs here and see if you fancy the challenge :)

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:39 pm
by echmain
When you say "is the pi worth it?"

What do you mean by "it"?

If you mean a small investment to learn a bunch of new things about computers, Linux, and interfacing with electronics and other devices, then YES!

If you mean an insane clown in a storm drain, then probably not.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:26 pm
by DaveyDave1999
For youtube, Dailymotion,Twitch,Liveleak... use kodi (you can install it ontop of raspbian if you want to)
Facebook is a pain to run. Instagram, messenger and telegram works well tho. Discord isnt bad.

Ive been using this Pi as my main computer for over 3 years now, no problems so far.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:50 am
by HawaiianPi
For retro gaming, sure.

For the rest of what you posted, no. You'll be better of with an inexpensive Chromebook. While those things could be done on a Raspberry Pi, the experience will be far from optimal. The limited RAM and processing power will result in frustratingly slow performance (especially if you want to multi-task things like Facebook and Youtube).

The Pi is great for a lot of things (lost count of how many I've bought) but general purpose PC is not one of them.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:13 am
by Heater
Our OP shows no interest in what the Pi was created for and will be sadly disappointed if he tries to use it as a PC replacement.

However, in the midst of that disappointment he may realize there are more interesting things that can be done with a computer than playing games and visiting unsavoury and dangerous social media web sites.

So, larf, get a Pi. It's not expensive. It's a lot of fun. It could change your whole life.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:20 am
by Gavinmc42
So, larf, get a Pi. It's not expensive. It's a lot of fun. It could change your whole life.
Or take over it :lol:
Probably the cheapest form of addiction that actually teaches at the same time?

Get a new laptop plus an Pi, that combo will teach you faster.
But only if you are not scared of learning.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:24 am
by fruitoftheloom
larf wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:17 pm
Hello! I want to buy a raspberry pi because my laptop broke and i need a secondary pc and this looks like a good solution. I'll use this for playing music, surf the net (facebook, twitter, and some youtube), and probably to play games on it. I also ordered a fighting stick and I think it would be also perfect to use for retro gaming on the pi. Like is it worth it for what im supposed to do with this pi? Thanks in advance

No it will not replace your Laptop, but will compliment whatever you buy, such as a

Chromebox
Chromebit
Chromebook
...or any Laptop / PC running Linux.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:34 pm
by W. H. Heydt
While a lot of retro gaming can be done well on a Pi, since the OP seems to be including relatively modern games in his list. Those will almost certainly *not* run on a Pi. They will have been written to run on x86 Windows systems.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:46 pm
by fruitoftheloom
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:34 pm
While a lot of retro gaming can be done well on a Pi, since the OP seems to be including relatively modern games in his list. Those will almost certainly *not* run on a Pi. They will have been written to run on x86 Windows systems.

Why Windows ? Linux x86 has a Steam !

https://store.steampowered.com/linux

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/steam- ... pberry-pi/

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:11 pm
by W. H. Heydt
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:46 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:34 pm
While a lot of retro gaming can be done well on a Pi, since the OP seems to be including relatively modern games in his list. Those will almost certainly *not* run on a Pi. They will have been written to run on x86 Windows systems.

Why Windows ? Linux x86 has a Steam !

https://store.steampowered.com/linux

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/steam- ... pberry-pi/
Written to run on Windows doesn't preclude Steam and Linux. It depends on the existence of a working configuration to use Wine.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:37 pm
by larf
I just plan on playing retro games using retro pie or lakka . I won't play newer games because i have my "main" pc that could do that. I think ill buy it but not only for using it as a pc and play retro games but ill also do some projects with it so that i can learn more abt computers. I'll also teach myself to code but i dont know which language i can start on. Can you guys recommend any languages?

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:02 pm
by Heater
larf,

That's the spirit.

Many beginners get started with Python.

It's probably best to spend some time looking into all the projects for the Pi people have documented around the net. Check out the raspberrypi.org blog and MagPi magazine. See what there is and what interests you.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:34 pm
by drgeoff
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:24 am
but will compliment whatever you buy,
Very unlikely. If you meant "complement" then quite possibly.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:52 pm
by DarkPlatinum
The Raspberry Pi can't replace a laptop for web browsing such as looking at Facebook. Chromium eats RAM so quickly that the 1 GB of RAM on your Pi will just not be enough. Watching youtube? You are going to have to supply more memory to the GPU so that playback is smooth.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:06 pm
by Andyroo
larf wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:37 pm
I just plan on playing retro games using retro pie or lakka . I won't play newer games because i have my "main" pc that could do that. I think ill buy it but not only for using it as a pc and play retro games but ill also do some projects with it so that i can learn more abt computers. I'll also teach myself to code but i dont know which language i can start on. Can you guys recommend any languages?
Yah - welcome to the crowd :lol:

You could look at Scratch - though it looks simple with it being blocks, its like Lego in that simple blocks can make a complex result and it will teach you the principals of input, output, loops and variables.

If you have had any programming background then go for Python as its well supported on this forum AND has lots of modules that will link to the hardware on the Pi.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:09 am
by oscpie
hey
the pie can do downloaded music and spotify(click here for more https://thepi.io/how-to-listen-to-spoti ... pberry-pi/)but not apple music.
some games will not download and chromium is pre downloaded
over all its great for robots coding and so much more :D :) ;)

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:12 pm
by larf
Thanks Guys!

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:20 pm
by ejolson
Andyroo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:06 pm
You could look at Scratch - though it looks simple with it being blocks, its like Lego in that simple blocks can make a complex result and it will teach you the principals of input, output, loops and variables.

If you have had any programming background then go for Python as its well supported on this forum AND has lots of modules that will link to the hardware on the Pi.
My understanding is that Scratch does not allow file input and output as that would be a security issue when running in a web browser. Did you mean something else by input and output, or is there something I've missed about Scratch?

For adults who already know the alphabet and how to type, proceeding directly to Python is probably the better of the two.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:50 pm
by jamesh
ejolson wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:20 pm
Andyroo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:06 pm
You could look at Scratch - though it looks simple with it being blocks, its like Lego in that simple blocks can make a complex result and it will teach you the principals of input, output, loops and variables.

If you have had any programming background then go for Python as its well supported on this forum AND has lots of modules that will link to the hardware on the Pi.
My understanding is that Scratch does not allow file input and output as that would be a security issue when running in a web browser. Did you mean something else by input and output, or is there something I've missed about Scratch?

For adults who already know the alphabet and how to type, proceeding directly to Python is probably the better of the two.
Scratch input is from the keyboard, output to the canvas. Can also be used with the GPIO's. But no file access (but file isn't the only form of IO!)

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:03 pm
by Andyroo
I did mean getting info from the mouse and keyboard and putting things on the canvas and GPIO

Python is OK but higher level languages take a fair bit of work to get something graphic and reactive compared to scratch :D

Do not get me onto indenting, obscure error messages or variable scope - start simple, understand the principals while seeing a quick result and then when folk have confidence build up the skills with a new language.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:25 am
by Gavinmc42
I recently start playing with tcl/tk, been ignoring it because it was so old.
But because of that it works on all OS's.
So learning it on Pi's means it can be used on Windows and big Linux PC's too.
Python is OK but higher level languages take a fair bit of work to get something graphic and reactive compared to scratch :D
Whereas tcl/tk does that without dependencies.
More effective than pretty, but because it is interpreted and not compiled much faster to learn and use.

Is it fast enough to do much with?
Well considering how long it has been around even the slowest PI should be fast enough?
Can it do GPIO stuff?

If you use tkinter in Python you are using tcl/tk anyway.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:11 pm
by hippy
ejolson wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:20 pm
My understanding is that Scratch does not allow file input and output as that would be a security issue when running in a web browser.
I believe you are correct but Scratch does natively allow for "cloud data" where persistent data can be stored on the server.

I'm not entirely clear yet on how Scratch 3 operates and interacts with extensions, but in Scratch 2 it was possible to create extensions which could interact with other servers on the local computer via HTTP which can provide mechanisms to have access to locally hosted data and files.

I'm somewhat of the opinion that providing the means to do anything and everything someone may want to do in Scratch, Blockly, Snap et al, holds people back from moving to more traditional programming languages and that's not necessarily a good thing.

But, as I use MIT App Inventor 2 for Android programming, which is Blockly based and much easier to use than the alternatives, I do have an appreciation for why people don't always want to move on, want to use what they find easy to use themselves.

I had always been rather dismissive of these visual languages, but a walk in their shoes has changed my perspective. I do however still roll my eyes when someone posts a screen shot of their program rather than the actual program file.

Re: is the pi worth it?

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:19 pm
by jamesh
hippy wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:11 pm
I had always been rather dismissive of these visual languages, but a walk in their shoes has changed my perspective. I do however still roll my eyes when someone posts a screen shot of their program rather than the actual program file.
Depends on what is required. A screenshot of a Scratch program is no different from anything you might place in blocks on here...