Andre_P

Re: You Know what I like about this forum

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:03 pm

Is that it's a Can DO kind of place.

We CAN build a computer that will help children learn to program again.

We CAN do it for less than a moderate night in the Pub and a Kebab on the way home.

We CAN achieve all things as long as we give it a bloody good try !

Prometheus

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:24 pm

You know what? I like that, too. There's so much negativity in the world these days, and it seems like optimism and positivity were lost along with the pioneering spirit of the home micros of the 1980s, too. It's a rare place (I know of a couple) that goes against that negativity, for some reason. Long may it continue.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:15 am

Andre_P said:

Is that it's a Can DO kind of place.

We CAN build a computer that will help children learn to program again.

We CAN do it for less than a moderate night in the Pub and a Kebab on the way home.

Mmmmmmm......Kebab......
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:42 pm

What I like about this forum?

One of the main things is that a majority of the inhabitants are sane, or at most have amusing character quirks.

Kebebs?  Must be an ACQ. 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

BlueClogger

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:50 pm

I'll go with that.  Good to find a positive thread.  Read the 'About us' and 'FAQs' tabs - nothing about being built in Britain (although that would have been nice), VGA, monster RAM, Windows and obscure OSs, and all the other nonsense that fo;k have been grumbling about.  The RPi is (or will be when we get one) a PC built to a price, running open source software and with built in expanadability aimed at helping kids (and others) into the world of programming.  It does what it aims to do.  If it doesn't do what you want then go someplace.  I for one haven't been so excited since I got my Acorn Electron and started assembly programming on that.  Rock on!

TheEponymousBob

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:57 am

Right now what I like best about the forum is the smell of beef, ginger beer and cloves coming from my kitchen. Proof that even the worst threads can be turned to good

meltwater

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:36 am

Andre_P said:

That my friend is being good old fashioned British!

Not the modern day version, which resolves around…ok…just about to go off on a rant so I"ll stop there…

The forum does have a foodie flavour though, most topics drift off at some point to talk about food of some sort.

So I shall now tuck into my Blackforest Cupcake!

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

mightygoose

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 am

This forum seems to have turned into a gentlemen's club crossed with some form of computing symposium; and a cheese and wine party, all rolled into to one jovial parcel with a side of dry wit. The fact of the matter is I am strangely OK with that.

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:14 am

Completely agree. It's wonderful to come to a forum where the direction is positive and can-do.

Reading the comments on some of the articles about Raspberry-Pi on other sites the general tone can be quite negative, so I find myself just skipping them.

While here I check the home page for new items and then go straight to the forum for updates on the discussion.  Even when people disagree it is a constructive discussion rather than a series of monologue rants.

Lovin' the R-Pi vibe.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

Burngate

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Food, cats, snow, odd humour, anything but work ... reminds me of our workshop while the manager was away. Work seemed to be only talked about during lunch. And then nobody talked about anything but work.

russ wall

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:52 pm

TheEponymousBob said:

Right now what I like best about the forum is the smell of beef, ginger beer and cloves coming from my kitchen. Proof that even the worst threads can be turned to good

+1^

mashed or boiled 'tatties?

Luny

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:50 pm

I"m currently reading the Dan Dare bio, which is actually about the guys who developed the Eagle. And this project is reading a little bit like it. Very can do effort. It"s an inspiration.
Luny

Return to “Off topic discussion”