spamel

Re: Which Openoffice do I need?

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:43 pm

I have had a good look, but cannot see much. If I install Open Office, which I already use on my Windows OS, then I won"t have to scream at the desktop when it freezes up! There are a number of different versions for Linux though, which one do I need?

As a side note, if I can get Linux working on the Raspi and enjoy using it as much as I think I will, then I can see the desktop getting formatted and reborn in Linux!

psergiu

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:53 pm

LibreOffice

http://www.libreoffice.org/

Unfortunatelly OpenOffice fell into the greedy claws of Oracle and it's no longer maintained or updated. The code was forked and almost all the developers moved to LibreOffice.

Evocation

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:54 pm

What Linux distro are you using? If your trying to download off the openoffice website it might be better getting it from the official distro repo.
Most distros use the openoffice fork libreoffice now however so try searching for that.

Also might I add, that you don't have to go all or nothing. Dual booting is good too, disk space (was) cheap and you can keep windows for using programs that really require it.

spamel

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:02 pm

I will check Libreoffice out, cheers. I wanted to put it on the RasPi, and as for which distro to use on the desktop, I dunno! Can"t you tell I am new to Linux?! Willing to learn though, and getting quite excited about it!

Evocation

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Ah, in that case, thought you meant you has a current install not a future install . Linux works more like the apps store.
With windows to install software you normally go to the website and download it from them.

However most linux distro's use package managers to handle all this for you. I think the RasPI will come with Fedora so use the YUM package manager.

The command

yum install libreoffice

From the command line should install it, Can't say I've used yum apart from at work on the odd occasion so not sure what the package would be called.
The RasPI might come with a GUI for package management however in which case it would be just as easy to use as an apps store.

mobeyduck

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:56 pm

psergiu said:

LibreOffice

http://www.libreoffice.org/

Unfortunatelly OpenOffice fell into the greedy claws of Oracle and it's no longer maintained or updated. The code was forked and almost all the developers moved to LibreOffice.

Unfortunately you are teribly misinformed.

OpenOffice still exists and it was not because of greed that ended up splitting the community to Libre and Open office.

First of it was Oracle that sponsored and made it possible that Open Office lived they had people working on it as a full-time job.

Currently OO is hosted by the Apache foundation and there on the Apache incubator were i found this https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/

OpenOffice Grandfather's Private Thoughts

Oracle's announcement to stop their investment in OpenOffice.org was a shock for me. Well the reason is obvious, I was paid by Oracle and worked on this project. The people who know me from the past know that I am a 100% OpenOffice.org guy and I always appreciated to work on this project and together with our community. I always felt as part of the overall community. I know the reasons that were responsible for the LibreOffice fork and the split of the community and I have to confess that I can understand it. But I didn't like how it was done. If Oracle would have done this step 6 month earlier I am sure we wouldn't have this fork and we wouldn't have this split of the community. We would potentially still have the go-oo fork which was the foundation for LibreOffice but that is something different. Anyway it is as it is at the moment and we will see how it moves forward in the future.

I also switched from Open to Libre but haven't really read up to what the differences are

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 am

I find LibreOffice better than OpenOffice - faster startup and seemingly more robust.

Oracle ARE greedy BTW. Whether greed was the cause of the split I don't know. I wouldn't touch Oracle with a barge pole.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Burngate

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:49 pm

JamesH said:

Oracle ARE greedy BTW.

Are they? And is that inate, or is it because they have shareholders demanding feeding at regular intervals?

ALL companies are required to be greedy by law, and the nature of capitalism, as far as I can see.

Another thread mentioned Politics and Religion. I've just introduced politics into this thread, but I can't find a way to bring in religion. Unless my "as far as I can see" refers to a bishop's diocese.

nichobb

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:18 am

I like the intelligent design behind Oracle – there you go burngate …

Have to agree with the Oracle being greedy, lots of FE colleges have been getting large bills or threats of bills (previously had educational licence type thing) – we got away with it because of an old agreement linking it to a processor. But lots of systems based on it and so takes time and money to move, others have paid up.

I never got on with open office really, most dissapointing was the database, my job means I have to use MS office and have licence for home from work anyway – an alternative would be nice.

kme

Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:00 am

mobeyduck said:

First of it was Oracle that sponsored and made it possible that Open Office lived they had people working on it as a full-time job.
Certainly not. OO was an unwanted stepchild Oracle was stuck on when they acquired SUN. From day one Oracle was just trying to finish off OO. They managed nicely and got themselves a lot of lovely negative press. Well deserved, IMHO. Oracle is one of those companies noone would pity if they went bankrupt monday.

1aws

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:45 am

As far as I am aware Libreoffice's installation requirements will not be met with the Raspi. Whilst I believe it will run in 256MB of memory that is all to itself. The Raspi only has about 192MB of memory for its OS and apps after it shares with the video processor.

If I am wrong in my understanding then please correct.

Abiword is a likely contender for the word processing space on a Raspi:

spamel

Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:18 pm

All interesting posts, thanks for taking time to help me out! I have also noticed that VLC is available under numerous formats, and I have also learnt that it can rip DVDs so I could potentially use the RasPi as a low powered home media player. Of course, all of these will have to be tested and proven on the RasPi unless anybody can say without doubt that they will run without lagging. I am hoping it will be fine, but am not an expert in all things computing!

jamesh

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:31 pm

spamel said:

All interesting posts, thanks for taking time to help me out! I have also noticed that VLC is available under numerous formats, and I have also learnt that it can rip DVDs so I could potentially use the RasPi as a low powered home media player. Of course, all of these will have to be tested and proven on the RasPi unless anybody can say without doubt that they will run without lagging. I am hoping it will be fine, but am not an expert in all things computing!

It will have no problem playing back ripped files. However, it will be very slow at ripping from DVD if you use it for that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

mobeyduck

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:21 pm

there's a little discussion about VLC in this thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....En-b-model

but as jamesH said:

There will be a media player provided with the Distro. This can play back 1080p30 H264 (at least). You don't need VLC, and for the first version VLC won't use the acceleration

spamel

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:59 pm

If anything, I will rip on the desktop (!) and then load the files onto an external HD, and build up a media library that way. I will be interested to see what the media player on board will be like, if it plays enough formats I will go with that.

12+12? I don"t have enough toes!

Return to “Off topic discussion”